Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All 14 SSHE schools will close in 4 years?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All 14 SSHE schools will close in 4 years?

https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2018/...022/367744002/

Re: All 14 SSHE schools will close in 4 years?

So the right wing lunatic running for Gubner is saying they schools will close in 4 years.

It must mean he wants to shut them down.

Go ahead and vote R and then wonder why the state keeps sinking....

Comment

He's a buffoon. his state Pension deal is way better than the professors, too. THough on the other hand, Cheyney is not fixed, and maybe that's because of the Dems. Hopefuly moderates on both sides prevail

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
        He's a buffoon. his state Pension deal is way better than the professors, too. THough on the other hand, Cheyney is not fixed, and maybe that's because of the Dems. Hopefuly moderates on both sides prevail
        Well, we're really getting political now but... Cheyney not being fixed is the result of the entire state legislature which is controlled in both houses by Republicans.

This nut case Wagner could get the Republican nomination for Governor. The powers that be in the state Republican Party think Wagner has the best chance to beat Wolf. Wagner is a nut case who has stated that global warming is caused by the earth moving closer to the sun and overpopulation of the earth by human beings through "body heat." Will you vote for him? Sure, he wants to cut funding to colleges. He never went to one.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          Well, we're really getting political now but... Cheyney not being fixed is the result of the entire state legislature which is controlled in both houses by Republicans.

This nut case Wagner could get the Republican nomination for Governor. The powers that be in the state Republican Party think Wagner has the best chance to beat Wolf. Wagner is a nut case who has stated that global warming is caused by the earth moving closer to the sun and overpopulation of the earth by human beings through "body heat." Will you vote for him? Sure, he wants to cut funding to colleges. He never went to one.
          Cheyney's problems have been ongoing for years, regardless of which party is in charge in Harrisburg.
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
            Cheyney's problems have been ongoing for years, regardless of which party is in charge in Harrisburg.
            That's true. Cheyney's problems are because of Cheyney.

Comment

Wagner said he "barely" finished high school, and dropped out of a community college.

Comment

This guy's a clown just like the one in Cranberry but with a bigger platform. He offers no solutions only criticism. Problem is that the right has pushed such a hard narrative against Wolf that just like the presidential election in 2016 they'll vote for someone lacking any substance over their perceived enemy.

If they at least dissolve PASSHE then tuition increases have to go to the legislature just like hunting license fee increases. A compromise is any increase over inflation or CPI must be approved outside the PASSHE board. Right now they're in a disastrous cycle of kicking hard decisions down the road and just raising prices just like the Turnpike Commission.

Comment

Ok calm down and step away from the ledge. I do think he is being over the top but this is basically in the "under promise over deliver category". I have read from many of you same posters that some schools need to close with Cheney being the most glaring example.

Lets face it the state system is too big with lower enrollment and demographics not getting better. Add the fact the state system allowed PSU (and Pitt to a degree) to run a mock with branch campuses. So now you have run away expenses so some schools will be closing.

So if elected, in 4 years (if elected officials do their job, a few colleges will be closed and hopefully the state related are 100% private by then) when a few more schools close he can claim victory by saying he saved the other 9 or 10 schools from similar fate.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                    Ok calm down and step away from the ledge. I do think he is being over the top but this is basically in the "under promise over deliver category". I have read from many of you same posters that some schools need to close with Cheney being the most glaring example.

Lets face it the state system is too big with lower enrollment and demographics not getting better. Add the fact the state system allowed PSU (and Pitt to a degree) to run a mock with branch campuses. So now you have run away expenses so some schools will be closing.

So if elected, in 4 years (if elected officials do their job, a few colleges will be closed and hopefully the state related are 100% private by then) when a few more schools close he can claim victory by saying he saved the other 9 or 10 schools from similar fate.
                    I don't think that's what he's talking about. He's part of a conservative element in York and Lancaster County (some of Berks and Lebanon) that doesn't believe the government should be involved with education. If they had free rein they would eliminate public education as we know it. It's extreme. Luckily, it's unpopular. Infeasible. But that doesn't mean that with a few of the these people in high places they can't further damage public education. I don't think his ideas are related so much to changing demographics but instead it's the idea of separating education and government spending. I doubt he knows what a "demographic" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post

I don't think that's what he's talking about. He's part of a conservative element in York and Lancaster County (some of Berks and Lebanon) that doesn't believe the government should be involved with education. If they had free rein they would eliminate public education as we know it. It's extreme. Luckily, it's unpopular. Infeasible. But that doesn't mean that with a few of the these people in high places they can't further damage public education. I don't think his ideas are related so much to changing demographics but instead it's the idea of separating education and government spending. I doubt he knows what a "demographic" is.
                      What the groundhog said. I'm not sure Cheyney should be closed but I'm also unsure it can be saved. Geographically speaking its the only school that doesn't serve a geographical area. Its niche is doubly fulfilled through Lincoln. If you close Mansfield, that's a huge corner of PA that doesn't have access to an affordable 4-year college education. Same goes for Lock Haven. Or Clarion. Or Edinboro. There are 121 state parks and 20 state forests in Pennsylvania. Why aren't we closing any of those? They're obviously revenue losers.

The "my taxes shouldn't be funding other people's kids' educations" crowd is frustrating. My kids don't use the state hospitals or the state prisons so why should my taxes go for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                        Wagner said he "barely" finished high school, and dropped out of a community college.

Which means Rural PA will vote for him in droves....

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                          This guy's a clown just like the one in Cranberry but with a bigger platform. He offers no solutions only criticism. Problem is that the right has pushed such a hard narrative against Wolf that just like the presidential election in 2016 they'll vote for someone lacking any substance over their perceived enemy.

If they at least dissolve PASSHE then tuition increases have to go to the legislature just like hunting license fee increases. A compromise is any increase over inflation or CPI must be approved outside the PASSHE board. Right now they're in a disastrous cycle of kicking hard decisions down the road and just raising prices just like the Turnpike Commission.

Comment

They must think that way due to smelling all that cow dung for too many years......

Comment

I am going to take your word for that element you speak of, I am not from that area so I don't know. With that said the bold part is the key. They know they can't just kill off all the State schools as there would be too much push back. What they can make an argument for and is the closure of some and hopefully then ending relationship of the state-related schools and I as a tax payer am fine with that. I have said for years the PASSHE 2 biggest enemies is a) its pension and b) all the branch campuses that PSU and to a lesser extent Pitt have.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X