Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shepherd

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
    Interesting opinion thinking your going to be scoring 40pts a game when your going to be putting a new face under center.....as for Jesse, that's twice he's bailed on his team a couple short months before fall camp opens. Hard to like a guy that shows no loyalty, even to is alma mater. That said, he's a real good OC, should be a good thing for a season or two.
    Coaching is all about maximizing your skill and opportunity. Think about it Shepherd hired a long time assistant to be the new HC when he was promoted to OC in January, the money is probably the x-factor with him jumping ship to Ship (no pun intended) along with the fact that the last 3 OC at Ship have become the OC at Oklahoma State (FBS), QB Coach/Assistant HC at Albany (FCS) and HC at Millersville (D2). Not a bad trail to follow if his aspiration is to move up the rankings to the FCS/FBS level as a assistant or to be a D2 HC.

Comment

To say "that's twice he's bailed on his team" is probably not accurate.

I don't know one person on this board outside of screen names but I'd have to guess 97% of us would take a new job if our salary was being nearly doubled. That's life and certainly life in coaching. They all know that going in ...

We far too often forget coaching is a job. Loyalty lasts until the better offer comes.

Comment

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post
        Interesting opinion thinking your going to be scoring 40pts a game when your going to be putting a new face under center.....as for Jesse, that's twice he's bailed on his team a couple short months before fall camp opens. Hard to like a guy that shows no loyalty, even to is alma mater. That said, he's a real good OC, should be a good thing for a season or two.

You say that like there is loyalty in college coaching. If your salary was being increased that much, you would change jobs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
          You say that like there is loyalty in college coaching. If your salary was being increased that much, you would change jobs as well.
          Yep. for instance, Barry Trotz just resigned as the Caps coach because Teddy Internet won't pay him the salary other Stanley Cup winning coaches are making. If a coach is offered substantially more money to do the same job or a better opportunity for advancement, they'd be nuts to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I don't know one person on this board outside of screen names but I'd have to guess 97% of us would take a new job if our salary was being nearly doubled. That's life and certainly life in coaching. They all know that going in ...

We far too often forget coaching is a job. Loyalty lasts until the better offer comes.
            ya I mean that's a great point and I get that but what you have to understand that this guy is all over place. He left Clarion 4 days before fall camp opened in 2016. His reason for leaving was his dream job, a paying position opened up at his alma mater with the probability of becoming the OC in the next few years. An opportunity that he couldn't pass up, even for less money. so you don't like that move, especially 4 days before camp opens but you can look at that and say, ok I can see where he is coming from. now 4 months after he gets named OC at Shep, his dream job, it suddenly becomes about more money and he jumps again. I get it, things change, situations change you cant pass up opportunities, etc....it just makes me scratch my head a bit and I don't care who you are or what team you support on here if your OC jumped ship on you 4 days before your season starts your not going to be thrilled about it. I can see you IUP faithful grabbing your pitch forks and ropes and rushing the streets

Comment

Agreed. The players may not like it but the coaches understand. He's not leaving the team hanging. Sometimes you just have to keep moving around until you find what you want. Sometimes that's security, sometimes pay, sometimes prestige. Its certainly true in college coaching.

Comment

Originally posted by CUlater View Post
                ya I mean that's a great point and I get that but what you have to understand that this guy is all over place. He left Clarion 4 days before fall camp opened in 2016. His reason for leaving was his dream job, a paying position opened up at his alma mater with the probability of becoming the OC in the next few years. An opportunity that he couldn't pass up, even for less money. so you don't like that move, especially 4 days before camp opens but you can look at that and say, ok I can see where he is coming from. now 4 months after he gets named OC at Shep, his dream job, it suddenly becomes about more money and he jumps again. I get it, things change, situations change you cant pass up opportunities, etc....it just makes me scratch my head a bit and I don't care who you are or what team you support on here if your OC jumped ship on you 4 days before your season starts your not going to be thrilled about it. I can see you IUP faithful grabbing your pitch forks and ropes and rushing the streets
                Or maybe he didn't get that OC spot he was waiting for.

Comment

Not always true. I know we are crossing our sport lines here but WLU BB Coach Jim Crutchfeld had several unsolicited offers from D1 programs over the year for what one has to presume would have been much more money that he made at WLU. He didn't take them (FYI, the Nova situation was about challenge and the fact that Nova was right down the road from were Crutch wanted to retire...salary is a wash between the two). I'm sure Shepherd former HC Monte Cater had any number of enquires from schools offering more money than he made at Shepherd. One would assume that current Shepherd HC McCook made more money his one year at Liberty than he made to come back to Shepherd the following season.

Not every coach does it just in the pursuit of $'s.

I know we are REALLY comparing apples and oranges, but when I was hiring for key assistants and I saw a lot of "job hopping" on an applicants resume, it made me go hummmm. And it was certainly something I asked about. If they didn't have a good answer, I gave them an opportunity to build some stability into their career and moved to the next applicant.
                  Last edited by boatcapt; 06-22-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    Or maybe he didn't get that OC spot he was waiting for.
                    Says he was promoted to OC in January at Shepherd.

Comment

If i'm remembering correctly this was one of Mike Gundy's reasons for hiring Yurcich as his OC. He was tired of the OC turnover and wanted a guy that would stick around longer in that spot.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        Not always true. I know we are crossing our sport lines here but WLU BB Coach Jim Crutchfeld had several unsolicited offers from D1 programs over the year for what one has to presume would have been much more money that he made at WLU. He didn't take them (FYI, the Nova situation was about challenge and the fact that Nova was right down the road from were Crutch wanted to retire...salary is a wash between the two). I'm sure Shepherd former HC Monte Cater had any number of enquires from schools offering more money than he made at Shepherd. One would assume that current Shepherd HC McCook made more money his one year at Liberty than he made to come back to Shepherd the following season.

Not every coach does it just in the pursuit of $'s.

I know we are REALLY comparing apples and oranges, but when I was hiring for key assistants and I saw a lot of "job hopping" on an applicants resume, it made me go hummmm. And it was certainly something I asked about. If they didn't have a good answer, I gave them an opportunity to build some stability into their career and moved to the next applicant.
                        Not always but those examples probably weren't making $30k, either.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Not always but those examples probably weren't making $30k, either.

Comment

Other side of coin .... companies don't want lots of 40-year employees anymore. It costs too much.

Think of information technology. Every company I see has one old guy in charge (say 45) and a room full of 22-year-old grads happy to get their first job (and making hardly anything). Architecture, engineering ... very similar trends. As soon as they want more money ... good-bye. Next batch.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                                Other side of coin .... companies don't want lots of 40-year employees anymore. It costs too much.

Think of information technology. Every company I see has one old guy in charge (say 45) and a room full of 22-year-old grads happy to get their first job (and making hardly anything). Architecture, engineering ... very similar trends. As soon as they want more money ... good-bye. Next batch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X