Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Edinboro, Grand Valley to play in 2019, 2020 and 2021

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
    Ya, GVSU can be beat if you take a team capable of winning the PSAC to match up with them. And maybe if you get them on their 4th road game in a row vs. playoff teams and off a plane ride from Colorado the week before and get their QB to complete 40% of his passes and throw 3 picks and then maybe you can get a 2 pt win at home. LOL. A home opener in September with 15,000 in the stands for a 7pm kickoff I don't think you're getting that luck. But to be serious you need to take a team capable of winning the psac for the most part...and play well.

Comment

Comment

Someone told me that Edinboro is basically getting "YSU money" for these games. If that's the case I'm alright with it. They could pay to lose in conference if we're concerned about losing. Or they could somehow pull off an upset like they did years ago at Portland State. I think it's a great experience for everyone who goes. I hope they bring lots of university folks to experience it. I know I'm planning to be there in 2019.

Comment

GV can sign 44 because they can use state funding for scholarships just like Northwest Misery can While Edinboro and the rest of the State System schools have to fundraise for scholarships.

Pennsylvania does everything the hard way. Our state legislature is literally the worst.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            GV can sign 44 because they can use state funding for scholarships just like Northwest Misery can While Edinboro and the rest of the State System schools have to fundraise for scholarships.

Pennsylvania does everything the hard way. Our state legislature is literally the worst.
            Say what you want about our legislature as I am no fan, but in this case they are right. There is no reason why tax payers should be paying for athletic scholarships.

Comment

Signing a small class doesn't mean anything bad. If anything it means your previous couple classes worked out well and your player retention is high. There are only so many spots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                Say what you want about our legislature as I am no fan, but in this case they are right. There is no reason why tax payers should be paying for athletic scholarships.
                There is no reason why we should be paying for a state house with over 200+ state reps. WE should cut the size of that and use that money increase funding to the state system schools.

Comment

Last edited by EdinboroFB; 06-18-2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

The depth is the killer.

Over and over we see teams come to IUP high as a kite and play their best game of the season for the first half or even 3 quarters. But, inevitably the difference in quality depth kicks in at some point.

To beat the GV's of the world you need to be real close to that scholarship limit.

Comment

There is no reason why we should be paying for a state house with over 200+ state reps. WE should cut the size of that and use that money increase funding to the state system schools.
                      I agree with you on the size of the legislator, I would love it cut in half. Now where that money goes I may differ on as I think the savings should go to paying off debt. With that said i wouldn't care if the money went to the state school system but I would still be pissed as I am sure many others would be if state money went to Athletic Scholarships which was my main point in my response to you.

Comment

I always thought it was nice to have a high level of access to your state rep. A quick search yielded a 2005 report from the PA Economy League that placed the cost to taxpayers for the legislature at $452 million. Let's say it's doubled since then. So, yeah a savings of $300 or $400 million could go a long way to funding PASSHE. The problem there is that money would never make its way to the state system.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          I always thought it was nice to have a high level of access to your state rep. A quick search yielded a 2005 report from the PA Economy League that placed the cost to taxpayers for the legislature at $452 million. Let's say it's doubled since then. So, yeah a savings of $300 or $400 million could go a long way to funding PASSHE. The problem there is that money would never make its way to the state system.
                          Nor should it. Any and saving should go towards debt. The biggest problem our country faces is that people want programs cut they don't like to fund projects they do like. I want debt paid down. Anything less is unethical.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                            Nor should it. Any and saving should go towards debt. The biggest problem our country faces is that people want programs cut they don't like to fund projects they do like. I want debt paid down. Anything less is unethical.
                            Then raise the income tax. The biggest fiscal problem PA faces in unfunded pensions and the state legislature is a part of that.

Comment

Then raise the income tax. The biggest fiscal problem PA faces in unfunded pensions and the state legislature is a part of that.
                              There is not a revenue problem but a spending problem. Pennsylvanians are taxed enough already. I do agree that unfunded pensions are the biggest problem and that is one reason why I would love to see the legislature cut in half.

https://www.abc27.com/news/is-the-ta...ook/1108302685

From the article

In overall tax burden, Pennsylvania is the 15th worst in the U.S., according to the report. Sure, its taxes are not as onerous as neighbors New York and New Jersey, but Kaeding says peer states like Texas, North Carolina, Virginia and Florida are faring much better than our state.

Comment

Correct. The people who control the spending have learned that they're not really held accountable for spending priorities. The only exception I can remember is the legislator raises from several years ago. But you're right about the money not finding its way to PASSHE. We're an easy target for assumed misspending. Too many libertarians and cynics who think we don't need another dollar. Several months ago I calculated that if PASSHE schools (pre-Act 188) got the same dollar amounts as they did in the 70s adjusted for inflation they'd each be getting millions more because as there were new budget priorities there was less money leftover for everyone else. I wish that the legislature thought proactively enough to propose a deal for more funding with significant spending constraints to keep tuition low. Something like we'll give you each enough to reduce tuition to $5,000/year but you have to do X,Y,Z.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X