Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Edinboro, Grand Valley to play in 2019, 2020 and 2021

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    In the current climate I don't think the leash is 10 years long. The odds are that Edinboro wrestling will be D2 in about 7 years unless the new coach has more up his sleeve than we know. Just wild speculation, though.
    Lock Haven is now the class of the EWL. Just as long as Edinboro the university stays solvent I do not see the point in dropping down to D2. Wrestling is not football where you save 20 scholarships by being FCS or 50 scholarships by being D2, you save 1 scholarship (not even as it is .9) by being D2 in wrestling. The day to day expenses are the same for travel, overhead, etc. so the total savings will be that .9 scholarship money and may $10-15,000 savings on a coach. Now if it is about competing for a national title, yes that would be easier in D2, but they are not long from being #3 in D1. I would take being top 5 in D1 over being #1 in D2 any day, but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
      They probably don't have immediate plans to drop down to D2. When I referred to 'a change in focus' I just meant they are probably not looking to maintain a top 15 or 20 program. Have to see how the new guy does. Give him 5 years. Bruce is not AD and Flynn is not the HC and they didn't pursue a top name to be the next coach. To me that indicates a lower profile program. I'm wondering what the future holds for the Edinboro wrestling camps.
      I think their challenge was a) they weren't approved for a six digit salary and b) there were several top notch Edinboro assistants who are in line for head coach jobs making a lot more than they'd make at Edinboro. What looks increasingly apparent to me is that for years Edinboro was punching way outside its weight class and the program was built around the presence of two men no longer affiliated with Edinboro wrestling. Flynn built a staff and program that sold Edinboro well: scrappy and underfunded but played a tough schedule and had Bruce Baumgartner in the building every day. Unless your goal was Olympic competition or winning a team national championship Edinboro was a reasonable option.

I've been told that this is the last year of the Bruce & Flynn camp at Edinboro. They do still have J Robinson's camp on campus. It would be nice to see Matt Hill put together a new Edinboro wrestling camp with all-Edinboro alumni as instructors and guests. Unless Bruce and Flynn continue their business arrangement, Bruce would be there too. Most of the instructors for that program were Edinboro guys anyway. Make the camp about generating additional revenue for the program instead of generating additional income for the coaches. But hey, ideas like that are why I work where I work and not at Edinboro.
      Last edited by Fightingscot82; 07-03-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Assistant coach hired. Former Edinboro wrestler and another WPIAL guy. Hopefully that's a foreshadow to their recruiting focus. Flynn didn't seem to have much of a presence there in his last several years.

http://gofightingscots.com/news/2018...ing-coach.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
          I did see that and all 3 are home this year with a road trip to Delta St. which is an interesting match up. That comment was proving my point to an earlier poster that you have to be really good to beat GV even still.
          it's easier now than in 2000s but still no easy feat... especially at lubbers

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            1-6
            no problem w that whatsoever...gvsu was not very good in the 90s...the psac was one of the better conferences back then...once gvsu put things in overdrive things have changed

by the way 50-6 at the half..
            gotta b their biggest ass whooping in their history

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post
              GV has a couple of juniors (one is a Xfer from Pitt) and then a RS freshman. Hoping GV will be just fine at RB this and next year.. after that.. well that's a bit aways.
              easiest position to replace

but he was no doubt a special player

Comment

Originally posted by Mikefln View Post
                Lock Haven is now the class of the EWL. Just as long as Edinboro the university stays solvent I do not see the point in dropping down to D2. Wrestling is not football where you save 20 scholarships by being FCS or 50 scholarships by being D2, you save 1 scholarship (not even as it is .9) by being D2 in wrestling. The day to day expenses are the same for travel, overhead, etc. so the total savings will be that .9 scholarship money and may $10-15,000 savings on a coach. Now if it is about competing for a national title, yes that would be easier in D2, but they are not long from being #3 in D1. I would take being top 5 in D1 over being #1 in D2 any day, but YMMV.
                True. I'm sure a D1 wrestling program can cut down on travel and be run cheaper. No Las Vegas type trips. Scholarships might be half of recent levels going forward... So last years 35th place might be a great finish in the future. The school will be saving a ton in coaching salaries now. All programs are potentially going to be struggling in a few years so no move may be deemed necessary by the school since wrestling wont be alone in that aspect....
                Last edited by EdinboroFB; 07-03-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I think negotiations at Edinboro are more like ask for it...if they like you...or someone thinks your important and wants to argue for you...etc. You get it.....Like Lustig getting turned down for asking for a small raise before he left. Maybe this is just the start of evening out that title 9 report that's still a big secret. Supposedly, public info...not playing out that way. WBB will be starting at the current salary of the MBB HC after 5 years. MBB not so much success but if their funding is so off maybe they have an excuse. Idk. Scholarship numbers for other sports were never leaked to the board. And WBB has rumors of over spending their budgets by totals of as much as a 100k over the time period to get the team to PSAC contention. Idk how true...but its a widespread rumor...so probably atleast some truth to it. But recruiting would be easier once you have success even with less money going forward. Flip side I guess MBB assistant got a 7k raise.. to stay....I guess?

Maybe, the wrestling salary is also a sign of the D2 move. With the guys leaving that probably had decent money since it was basically all the qualifers and they were upper classmen......probably all that could leave as far as eligibility rules. The scholarship numbers for wrestling have to be way down for next year compared this this past year. Interesting that most of them went to schools with boro coaching ties. Wonder if anyone helped those moves. And supposedly a big wrestling supporter/ money guy is going to support WVU more than the Boro. Which is interesting... I also heard Flynn told his guys last fall the VB coach will be leaving shortly....LOL.

Maybe they look at it as Fynn's gone and Swank is gone...two big salaries....so why not start people high...they just saved 100k for the two basically. I'd think if the school is losing money you'd be paying Clarion salaries or as low as possible going forward to any new HC's to reset the salaries for the future knowing they all go up considerably over time and telling any assistants with an itch...goodluck and goodbye.

http://gofightingscots.com/news/2018...all-coach.aspx

The MBB assistant was just announced to be moving to WBB as an assistant. So they gave him a raise to bail on MBB and the team he helped bring in. Only at Edinboro.
                  Last edited by EdinboroFB; 07-03-2018, 02:48 PM.

Comment

True. I'm sure a D1 wrestling program can cut down on travel and be run cheaper. No Las Vegas type trips.
                    No, I think you will find a significant difference between the budgets of D1 wrestling programs and D2. Someone else can compare the actual budgets that's not my thing. But if you don't take a full contingent to Cliff Keen in Vegas or The Southern Scuffle or Midlands in Evanston, IL and don't go to major dual meet competitions then you are not a top 40 program. Then you have facilities. It's the same as in football. You've got to have D1 facilities. Note that Clarion and Lock Haven are getting new facilities. Clarion's will be mult-sport and Lock Haven's will be dedicated to wrestling and is supposed to be one of the top facilities in the country. There is work to do in the off-season i.e. the freestyle season. Clarion and Lock Haven sent sizable contingents to the U23 freestyle event in Akron 2 or 3 weeks ago. Edinboro was a no-show. The deck is stacked against the D1 PSAC programs. It's difficult and requires commitment on the part of the team, the coaches, the fan base, alumni and the school administration. I think it's going to be tough for Edinboro wrestling going forward. The B1G and Big 12 schools are really putting the squeeze on the smaller schools. Even traditional powers like Lehigh are having some issues.

Comment

My point was you can be D1 and not be a top 40 program. They have the kid from Saegertown coming in who seems like a potential guy to build on for the future for the new HC. I hope the new guy does well since it seems some of the old guard kind of screwed him a bit in the transition.... If he finishes 36th he's probably doing a good job.

Comment

http://gofightingscots.com/news/2018...all-coach.aspx

The MBB assistant was just announced to be moving to WBB as an assistant. So they gave him a raise to bail on MBB and the team he helped bring in. Only at Edinboro.

I guess try to jump on the women's team that will be favored to win the PSAC next year...and bail on the guy that gave you your first college coaching job. Everyone on here was talking about the Shepherd OC leaving and bashing him for that.

Jumping on a recent winner at Edinboro as things are about to go down seems a little risky. I thought the boro way was to just work harder?
                        Last edited by EdinboroFB; 07-05-2018, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah ... they aren't going to be favored.

Interesting jump but perhaps he sees it (women's side) as his fastest path to a head coaching job (somewhere else).

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Yeah ... they aren't going to be favored.

Interesting jump but perhaps he sees it (women's side) as his fastest path to a head coaching job (somewhere else).
                            I think Edinboro has the 6-2 girl back.

So that's not a Benedict Arnold move? The Wheeling basketball player to WL is but this isn't? :)

Comment

Same school. Who knows. Perhaps him and Cleary don't get along. That's one for you guys in McComb to figure out.

Comment

My understanding is that there are no hard feelings between Bess and Cleary. My hunch is that he wants something new but isn't wanting to leave Edinboro.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X