Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

42% of PSAC student-athletes made the grade of at least a 3.25 GPA for this honor. That's something to be proud of. I would say the programs are doing something right.

It's interesting to note the # of awardees for the private institutions. Evidence of grade inflation?

Link below.

http://www.psacsports.org/news/2018/...ith-3-053.aspx

Re: PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
    42% of PSAC student-athletes made the grade of at least a 3.25 GPA for this honor. That's something to be proud of. I would say the programs are doing something right.

It's interesting to note the # of awardees for the private institutions. Evidence of grade inflation?

Link below.

They also sponsor more sports.

Comment

No, I think they put more emphasis on the student's education and besides they recruit more intelligent kids in general.
      Say like at IUP who tries to win a championship with goon players but gets beat by a 2nd yr W Fla team.
      Too bad

Comment

I'm sure that's the case. Just enjoy your yearly beating.

Comment

b]42% of PSAC student-athletes made the grade of at least a 3.25 GPA for this honor. That's something to be proud of. I would say the programs are doing something right.[/b]

Link below.

My years of experience following IUP/PSAC sports would tell me that the women athletes are probably really bringing up that overall average. The vast majority of them do really well in the classroom it seems. Much better than their male counterparts in most instances.

-

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
            No, I think they put more emphasis on the student's education and besides they recruit more intelligent kids in general.
            Say like at IUP who tries to win a championship with goon players but gets beat by a 2nd yr W Fla team.
            Too bad
            Here's to an 0-11 season for St Thugnacious.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
              My years of experience following IUP/PSAC sports would tell me that the women athletes are probably really bringing up that overall average. The vast majority of them do really well in the classroom it seems. Much better than their male counterparts in most instances.

-
              I saw something on Facebook comes across that IUP had a record number of student athlete scholars this past year.

Comment

The demand put on student athletes is huge. The PSAC SAs don't even travel that far as other conferences and divisions do, and I'm still amazed at what these young men and women do. Yes, some run into some difficulty, but even maintaining a 2.5 is quite a challenge with some of the majors these players take on and still meet the team requirements on commitments.
                Personally, I'm very proud of my son and how he juggles all this.

Comment

Link below.

iupgroundhog always have to put a spin to make IUP look good or seem better than what they are, I believe you just hate private schools. They earned the grades, nothing is just given.

Comment

Originally posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
                    The demand put on student athletes is huge. The PSAC SAs don't even travel that far as other conferences and divisions do, and I'm still amazed at what these young men and women do. Yes, some run into some difficulty, but even maintaining a 2.5 is quite a challenge with some of the majors these players take on and still meet the team requirements on commitments.
                    This is very true, anyone who can handle the demands of both class, and college athletics deserves credit. Most athletes also avoid some of the destructive choices students sometimes make.

Also, heard this morning that IUPs Natalie Cignetti is PSAC scholar -Athlete of the year. She's also a really nice person.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec10-A-14 View Post
                      Too bad
                      I can tell you that's a false assumption. Kids going to the private schools are more likely to be white (they're all Catholic) and middle class. Hurst and Seton Hill have fairly lame and tame campus cultures too. The pseudo-fake sticker price is there to scare off the students who are the most cost-conscious. Private schools use athletics and international recruiting services to boost minority enrollment. A kid or family from Farrell or Erie or New Kensington see that sticker price and move on. This leaves the private schools with applicants who are more likely to be academically prepared and more likely to be able to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
                        :good:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                          iupgroundhog always have to put a spin to make IUP look good or seem better than what they are, I believe you just hate private schools. They earned the grades, nothing is just given.
                          It's because IUP is better than everyone else.

We just are. You need to just accept it and move on. :victory:

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                            Grade inflation at private colleges is well-documented. See link below. That is the one that jumped out at me but I could put 1,000 reports and studies up here that show the same thing. Ironically, I didn't mention IUP in my post at all. I have a bias against private schools. I support public schools. No spin required.

https://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ivate-college/

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              I can tell you that's a false assumption. Kids going to the private schools are more likely to be white (they're all Catholic) and middle class. Hurst and Seton Hill have fairly lame and tame campus cultures too. The pseudo-fake sticker price is there to scare off the students who are the most cost-conscious. Private schools use athletics and international recruiting services to boost minority enrollment. A kid or family from Farrell or Erie or New Kensington see that sticker price and move on. This leaves the private schools with applicants who are more likely to be academically prepared and more likely to be able to pay.
                              If the football team at St. Thugs is mainly Catholics ... I may switch religions.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X