Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PSAC Student-Athlete Scholars

Originally posted by VulCanDoIt View Post
    The demand put on student athletes is huge. The PSAC SAs don't even travel that far as other conferences and divisions do, and I'm still amazed at what these young men and women do. Yes, some run into some difficulty, but even maintaining a 2.5 is quite a challenge with some of the majors these players take on and still meet the team requirements on commitments.
    Personally, I'm very proud of my son and how he juggles all this.
    Probably one big advantage that college student-athletes have over their non-athletic cohorts is that they learn outstanding time management skills fairly early on.

It has always been my experience that if you ask a busy person to do something then it will get done. They don't tend to put things off "til later" or "tomorrow" like most of us seem to do.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Probably one big advantage that college student-athletes have over their non-athletic cohorts is that they learn outstanding time management skills fairly early on. It has always been my experience that if you ask a busy person to do something then it will get done. They don't tend to put things off "til later" or "tomorrow" like most of us seem to do.
      -
      A body (or mind) in motion tends to stay in motion and a body (or mind) at rest tends to stay at rest.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        Probably one big advantage that college student-athletes have over their non-athletic cohorts is that they learn outstanding time management skills fairly early on.

It has always been my experience that if you ask a busy person to do something then it will get done. They don't tend to put things off "til later" or "tomorrow" like most of us seem to do.

-
        And more academic supervision and support.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
          iupgroundhog always have to put a spin to make IUP look good or seem better than what they are, I believe you just hate private schools. They earned the grades, nothing is just given.
          For the record I always supported the additions of Gannon and Mercyhurst into the PSAC. They both had a long history of competition with PSAC schools and I believe those schools are integrated into the local community and region in a positive way.. I objected to the addition of Seton Hill. I didn't think that school shared the same values and purpose of the other member schools. I didn't like the way they used athletics (exclusively) to legitimize their brand and the fact that their minority enrollment is almost entirely from the football and basketball teams. I don't think that's the way things are supposed to be run.

Comment

Some of you know but the schedule they keep is insane. There's no time to hang with Suzy Sorority and the other drunken bafoons on campus.

Between study halls, team meals, meetings, practices, training, etc. .... only so many hours in a day. They also can't just blow off a class without getting reamed out.

I know the NCAA has bylaws about hours per week .... sounds good but is all crap.

Athletes also get a lot of perks -- even at this level. Let's not feel too bad for them.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Some of you know but the schedule they keep is insane. There's no time to hang with Suzy Sorority and the other drunken bafoons on campus.

Between study halls, team meals, meetings, practices, training, etc. .... only so many hours in a day. They also can't just blow off a class without getting reamed out.

I know the NCAA has bylaws about hours per week .... sounds good but is all crap.

Athletes also get a lot of perks -- even at this level. Let's not feel too bad for them.
              They get to pick their classes before the rest of the campus great unwashed get to do so.....

My biggest regret as a student at IUP was that I didn't try as hard as I could have...being 4 and half hours away from home and on my own I wanted to be more of social butterfly when not in class and just put in the miminal effort and got the B/B+ average. I imagine if I had put forth a real effort my GPA could have been .5-.6points higher than it ended up being which was a 2.83. I had 5 A's/27B's/12 C's (which my mom probably would say was 12 too many). I still have copies of my transcipts.

You can tell my worst as a social bee was my first year off campus living in Oakland Hall. All I wanted to do is hang out and not study. I ended up with half of my C's those two semesters!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X