Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piaa split up...

Any comments about this looming major change.
    http://www.abc27.com/news/local/near...iaa/1299009613

Re: Piaa split up...

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    I think the PIAA, the legislature, let's say all of the above are a little late to the conversation. The complaints have been mounting for a long time and nothing was done. As a result of literally rampant "recruiting" there have been a lot of inequities in Pennsylvania and it just hasn't been addressed. Sometimes you just have to take matters into your own hands and that appears to be happening now. The problem isn't just in football and basketball it's been in wrestling, too, e.g. Becahi, recently St. Joseph's in State College, and others.

Comment

Piaa split up...

Comment

The PCL is different. Recruiting from other districts for the purpose of having a better team was never a contentious issue. The wide disparities didn't really exist. Plus, a lot of the players don't live that far grom the private or parochial school. What you've had in other parts of the state is private schools raiding neighboring public schools for their best athletes. I'm most familiar with the wrestling landscape. For many years Bethlehem Catholic was accused of recruiting throughout the wrestling-rich District 11 area. Then they would dominate the state in the AA classification. They have now bumped up to AAA and they are not as dominant but that could change. A new Catholic school in State College took 5 top starters from Bellefonte this past year (there are 14 starters total). I don't know the circumstances of how it happened but it's happened a lot in PA abnd the PIAA ignored it (until now, apparently).

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
          The PCL is different. Recruiting from other districts for the purpose of having a better team was never a contentious issue. The wide disparities didn't really exist. Plus, a lot of the players don't live that far grom the private or parochial school. What you've had in other parts of the state is private schools raiding neighboring public schools for their best athletes. I'm most familiar with the wrestling landscape. For many years Bethlehem Catholic was accused of recruiting throughout the wrestling-rich District 11 area. Then they would dominate the state in the AA classification. They have now bumped up to AAA and they are not as dominant but that could change. A new Catholic school in State College took 5 top starters from Bellefonte this past year (there are 14 starters total). I don't know the circumstances of how it happened but it's happened a lot in PA abnd the PIAA ignored it (until now, apparently).

Suburban Philadelphia public high schools routinely have kids from the city on their teams. The conveniently have relatives in the suburbs to use as a home address.

Plymouth Whitemarsh is known to do this being only 3-4 miles from the city limits.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            Suburban Philadelphia public high schools routinely have kids from the city on their teams. The conveniently have relatives in the suburbs to use as a home address.

Plymouth Whitemarsh is known to do this being only 3-4 miles from the city limits.
            Well, Pittsburgh Central Catholic routinely has kids from an hour outside the city (Justice Evans).

I've said in the past I'm not a fan of this practice as my alma mater has severely paid the price over the years with players bolting to privates.

Kiski Valley schools constantly lose players to Greensburg Central Catholic, Pittsburgh Central Catholic and Shady Side Academy.

I know, I know. They go for the academics.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Well, Pittsburgh Central Catholic routinely has kids from an hour outside the city (Justice Evans).

I've said in the past I'm not a fan of this practice as my alma mater has severely paid the price over the years with players bolting to privates.

Kiski Valley schools constantly lose players to Greensburg Central Catholic, Pittsburgh Central Catholic and Shady Side Academy.

I know, I know. They go for the academics.
              I'm going back a lot of years in saying it didn't used to be like this. Having attended South Hills Catholic (now Seton-Lasalle) along with my brothers and most of my friends, I remember a fierce competition among the feeder parishes to get their elementary students accepted. There was no such thing as transfers. The South Hills was exclusive SHC territory, the Oakland/Shadyside/East Liberty neighborhood belonged to Central and everything north of the Allegheny was North Catholic. At the time most of the funding came from the parishes on a per student basis. My parents kicked in a nominal amount around $100 a year for each of us. When that funding went away and the tuitions began to soar the need for bodies to justify their continued existence led to admission of non-Catholic students as long as they could pay. Pretty soon all bets were off and the availability of essentially HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS put the schools in their current situation. From a parental point of view who wouldn't want their children to attend an exclusive private school that could open all a lot of college doors. Going back to the days of the PIAA vs PCIAA structures seems to be the only way out of this predicament.

Comment

How do schools like Cathedral Prep (football) and Kennedy Catholic (basketball) "reload" every year? I can tell you now that the catholic elementary schools aren't loaded with talent. If you look at where their players come from, it's from districts like Harborcreek, Fairview, Erie City and even as far as Conneaut, Ohio.

Where do the players come from for Kennedy Catholic come from? Sharon, Pa is that loaded with D1 basketball players? Has anyone noticed that Bobby Huggins follows that team like it's his own?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                  How do schools like Cathedral Prep (football) and Kennedy Catholic (basketball) "reload" every year? I can tell you now that the catholic elementary schools aren't loaded with talent. If you look at where their players come from, it's from districts like Harborcreek, Fairview, Erie City and even as far as Conneaut, Ohio.

Where do the players come from for Kennedy Catholic come from? Sharon, Pa is that loaded with D1 basketball players? Has anyone noticed that Bobby Huggins follows that team like it's his own?
                  As I indicated a fair number of scholarships are given, whether out of genuine concern for deserving, underfunded students or outstanding athletes, and the end result is scholastic athletic super schools. Where I live in NYC there's a suburban high school with an enrollment of 700 who is the NY state all time leader in hockey championships and I can guarantee you that there are not that many great hockey players on the Gold Coast of Long Island. It is what it is.

Comment

Philly has had the Public League and the Catholic league for decades. Why couldn't the State do the same thing?

Comment

Piaa split up...

I'm going back a lot of years in saying it didn't used to be like this. Having attended South Hills Catholic (now Seton-Lasalle) along with my brothers and most of my friends, I remember a fierce competition among the feeder parishes to get their elementary students accepted. There was no such thing as transfers. The South Hills was exclusive SHC territory, the Oakland/Shadyside/East Liberty neighborhood belonged to Central and everything north of the Allegheny was North Catholic. At the time most of the funding came from the parishes on a per student basis. My parents kicked in a nominal amount around $100 a year for each of us. When that funding went away and the tuitions began to soar the need for bodies to justify their continued existence led to admission of non-Catholic students as long as they could pay. Pretty soon all bets were off and the availability of essentially HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIPS put the schools in their current situation. From a parental point of view who wouldn't want their children to attend an exclusive private school that could open all a lot of college doors. Going back to the days of the PIAA vs PCIAA structures seems to be the only way out of this predicament.

Philadelphia Archdiocese high schools were the same way. Your parish school was assigned a high school to feed into. Now you can choose any one you want.
                      Last edited by IUPNation; 07-14-2018, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
                        Philly has had the Public League and the Catholic league for decades. Why couldn't the State do the same thing?
                        Getting back to the gist of the article, as I interpret it there is a growing movement among publics to form their own playoff association exclusive of private schools i.e. leave the PIAA behind (since they have failed to address the issue). Am I reading it right? If so, that idea works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                          Getting back to the gist of the article, as I interpret it there is a growing movement among publics to form their own playoff association exclusive of private schools i.e. leave the PIAA behind (since they have failed to address the issue). Am I reading it right? If so, that idea works for me.

Comment

We don't have "true state champions" now because of the size classification. Plus, many Prep schools are not in the PIAA e.g. Malvern Prep, The Kiski School. Wyoming Seminary and these schools have really competitive teams which could sometimes win the PIAA. Some prep schools are members of the PIAA e.g. Valley Forge Military Academy. I'm not sure why some are in and others not.
                            Last edited by iupgroundhog; 07-14-2018, 10:29 AM.

Comment

There was nothing "not true" about the two PCIAA BB championships that SHC won when I was there. Although some would argue the point, from the POV of the players, coaches and fans, we were THE CHAMPIONS !!! Pretty much like winning a D2 NC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X