X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 PSAC Scholarships

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
    West Chester voodoo accounting.
    I think we have rather extensively discussed the West Chest scholarship issue in years past. They are NOT operating their quality football program on 6.70 scholies. Rest assured of that.

Wasn't IUP up to something like 29 scholarships at the end of the Curt era?

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      I think we have rather extensively discussed the West Chest scholarship issue in years past. They are NOT operating their quality football program on 6.70 scholies. Rest assured of that.

Wasn't IUP up to something like 29 scholarships at the end of the Curt era?

-

IUP did seem less than expected.

I thought money was pouring in last year?

Comment

For what it's worth, John Dell of the Winston-Salem Journal wrote this story on CIAA football scholarship levels:

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/ws...a37cacc66.html

Makes for an interesting comparison between the PSAC and the CIAA in how programs fundraise scholarship money.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Money. Cost. Spent. Invest. Launder. Whatever the end dollar amount is. These reports are meaningless when schools play Where's Waldo with the funding.

End of the day I'd love to see how much real money each conference member has in football -- free meal plans, 'academic' scholarships, tuition discounts, ... whole enchilada.

Just a hunch but the ranking order would be a whole lot different that the report above. The disparity within the conference would be mind-blowing -- far worse than the disparity posted in the 'scholarship' report.

The three privates are showing 92 'scholarships' last season ... which, combined, bought them 11 wins. WCU is showing, what, 6 'scholarships' which bought them 10 wins.

Until you could see the real numbers I could never be convinced WCU has built a powerhouse playing with the equivalent of a kids piggy bank. What's next ... Damien Blair gets 1.2 scholarships a year in basketball?
          Didn't Matt start this thread with the real numbers? The real point is you could never be convinced. Cool that you acknowledge that West Chester is a powerhouse.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
            Didn't Matt start this thread with the real numbers? The real point is you could never be convinced. Cool that you acknowledge that West Chester is a powerhouse.
            Its easier to openly speculate that a school is engaged in willful deception when they can easily do a formal or informal FOI request.

Comment

So you guys actually believe they are operating on 6 scholarships?

Comment

The financial equivalent of 6 full scholarships, yes. Its my understanding that the number reported DOES NOT include housing or meal waivers which can easily reduce the cost of attendance well beyond scholarship dollars. Someone told me that they exist in the west but the western schools tend to use these for need-based aid rather than athletics like the east. It also makes me wonder if PSAC East coaches are more likely to compensate themselves for camp money rather than put that revenue into the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

LOL .. you got me. 'Powerhouse' was probably a bit extreme. Above-average is probably better suited.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                    The financial equivalent of 6 full scholarships, yes. Its my understanding that the number reported DOES NOT include housing or meal waivers which can easily reduce the cost of attendance well beyond scholarship dollars. Someone told me that they exist in the west but the western schools tend to use these for need-based aid rather than athletics like the east. It also makes me wonder if PSAC East coaches are more likely to compensate themselves for camp money rather than put that revenue into the program.
                    It may have to do with differences in who operates the housing, for instance IUP's new housing is outsourced, so they have to be paid by someone. However some older housing is operated by the university, and so it is possible to waive room for these dorms. I don't know how west chester operates its housing.

Comment

A year or so back I took an in-depth look at the stellar offensive unit that West Chest featured in 2014. No such unit could EVER be put together on a mere six scholies. And that was just one side of the ball.

-

Comment

This year - 201819 - will be the first year that only athletic aid counts...

So the academic kid that had a 3.00 and ncaa said it had to be a 3.3 for it not to count... or the leadership kid that had a 2.00 and your school policy said they had to have a 2.50...

Since D2 has no counter rule limiting a certain number of on a team receiving athletic aid...

Schools in urban area that can have kids commute from home, that can get academic, pell, seog, cws, will have an advantage over rural schools with no population

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                          It may have to do with differences in who operates the housing, for instance IUP's new housing is outsourced, so they have to be paid by someone. However some older housing is operated by the university, and so it is possible to waive room for these dorms. I don't know how west chester operates its housing.
                          As I recall, West Chester's on-campus housing is the same way; the older North Campus dorms (including the College Arms complex the school purchased a few years ago) and the first phase of South Campus housing are directly operated by WCU, but newer North Campus dorms and newer phases of South Campus housing are outsourced.
                          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                            As I recall, West Chester's on-campus housing is the same way; the older North Campus dorms (including the College Arms complex the school purchased a few years ago) and the first phase of South Campus housing are directly operated by WCU, but newer North Campus dorms and newer phases of South Campus housing are outsourced.

West Chester is wAy behind IUP in the on campus housing replacement. WCU still has all their old ratchet dorms. They have a lot of demolition to do.

Now they want to close off Church St to traffic like IUP did to Pratt, Grant and 11th Street on the campus.

IUP leads, West Chester follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                              Its easier to openly speculate that a school is engaged in willful deception when they can easily do a formal or informal FOI request.
                              And no one has been able to offer a reason for such willful deception. And since it's supposedly been going on for several years, why has there not been an investigation by the NCAA?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                                West Chester is wAy behind IUP in the on campus housing replacement. WCU still has all their old ratchet dorms. They have a lot of demolition to do.

Now they want to close off Church St to traffic like IUP did to Pratt, Grant and 11th Street on the campus.

IUP leads, West Chester follows.
                                They're the only school with excess demand so I don't think there's necessarily a competitive need to invest so heavily in residence halls. The schools who haven't felt the competitive pinch are the ones who haven't invested in luxury dorms. I'd put West Chester in that category.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X