9. Bloomsburg 10.75
    10. Clarion 10.56
    11. Shippensburg 9.85
    12. Millersville 8.66
    13. Kutztown 7.70
    14. West Chester 6.70
    15. Lock Haven 4.35
    16. Cheyney 3.01
    Last edited by Matt Burglund; 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM.
    http://www.indianagazette.com
    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Re: 2017-18 PSAC Scholarships

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
    From the PSAC:

School Scholarships
    1. Gannon 33.07
    2. Mercyhurst 32.86
    3. Seton Hill 25.75
    4. IUP 25.46
    5. California 20.37
    6. Slippery Rock 18.10
    7. East Stroudsburg 12.70
    8. Edinboro 12.50
    9. Bloomsburg 10.75
    10. Clarion 10.56
    11. Shippensburg 9.85
    12. Millersville 8.66
    13. Kutztown 7.70
    14. West Chester 6.70
    15. Lock Haven 4.35
    16. Cheyney 3.01
    To clarify this is from last season or going forward ? Three times as many in the West as the East
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 07-23-2018, 06:36 PM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
      To clarify this is from last season or going forward ? Three times as many in the West as the East
      This is what was reported to the conference for the 2017 season.

Comment

I think most believe these numbers to not be worth the sheet of paper they are printed on ...

That said, it would be interesting to see a report of actual funds dumped in to the programs.

That would eliminate all the b.s. factors: tuition blue light specials at the privates, etc.

In actual money invested ... no way WCU comes in at No. 14.

Note the top 3 are two average teams and one league doormat.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          I think most believe these numbers to not be worth the sheet of paper they are printed on ...

That said, it would be interesting to see a report of actual funds dumped in to the programs.

That would eliminate all the b.s. factors: tuition blue light specials at the privates, etc.

In actual money invested ... no way WCU comes in at No. 14.

Note the top 3 are two average teams and one league doormat.
          I believe the numbers. They're reported to the conference who then reports to the NCAA for compliance. Money isn't everything. I know people who make less money than me but have nicer things. My coworker makes the same amount as me yet he can somehow afford 2-3 trips to Disney with a stay at home wife. I believe that the private schools are more prone to spending foolishly because they're not working with real dollars. When you've had to bust your butt for most of the scholarship money you have at your disposal you are a bit more careful about how its spent.

Comment

I believe the 'scholarship money' numbers are correct. But, I'll never believe WCU has had all its success with 6.7 scholarships. Wherever the money is flowing from -- academic scholarships, whatever, ... it's still flowing from somewhere. It's just being placed in a different category than 'athletic' scholarships. That's why I'd be interested to see the actual money being pumped in to each program.

p.s. Your co-worker could also be in debt up to his eyeballs. lol.

Comment

This obviously doesn't include room & board waivers. FREE room & board, is a 50% scholarship. And this certainly doesn't take BOGs into account

Comment

I believe the 'scholarship money' numbers are correct. But, I'll never believe WCU has had all its success with 6.7 scholarships. Wherever the money is flowing from -- academic scholarships, whatever, ... it's still flowing from somewhere. It's just being placed in a different category than 'athletic' scholarships. That's why I'd be interested to see the actual money being pumped in to each program.

p.s. Your co-worker could also be in debt up to his eyeballs. lol.
                The same applies to all of the other schools. And that amount isn't included in the numbers reported in the table above, which I think is athletic equivalencies only.

Comment

Correct.

I mean, nobody on here actually reads the above chart and thinks Clarion is investing more in football than West Chester. I hope not, at least.

Comment

Correct.

I mean, nobody on here actually reads the above chart and thinks Clarion is investing more in football than West Chester. I hope not, at least.
                    Or maybe Clarion's football program is generating that much more revenue than West Chester's, which is possible. Clarion's football alumni are organized and have several events so it wouldn't surprise me. It also matters where football camp revenue goes. Coaches in the PSAC have the option of supplementing their salary or putting the money back into the program for scholarships.

Comment

Correct.

Not sure what you mean by "investing". The biggest problem is that this thread is titled "Scholarships" and it should be "Equivalencies" which includes room and board, something that schools with declining enrollment have plenty to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                        Not sure what you mean by "investing". The biggest problem is that this thread is titled "Scholarships" and it should be "Equivalencies" which includes room and board, something that schools with declining enrollment have plenty to offer.
                        Money. Cost. Spent. Invest. Launder. Whatever the end dollar amount is. These reports are meaningless when schools play Where's Waldo with the funding.

End of the day I'd love to see how much real money each conference member has in football -- free meal plans, 'academic' scholarships, tuition discounts, ... whole enchilada.

Just a hunch but the ranking order would be a whole lot different that the report above. The disparity within the conference would be mind-blowing -- far worse than the disparity posted in the 'scholarship' report.

The three privates are showing 92 'scholarships' last season ... which, combined, bought them 11 wins. WCU is showing, what, 6 'scholarships' which bought them 10 wins.

Until you could see the real numbers I could never be convinced WCU has built a powerhouse playing with the equivalent of a kids piggy bank. What's next ... Damien Blair gets 1.2 scholarships a year in basketball?

Comment

What's next ... Damien Blair gets 1.2 scholarships a year in basketball?
                          http://www.indianagazette.com
                          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceOfReason View Post
                            This obviously doesn't include room & board waivers. FREE room & board, is a 50% scholarship. And this certainly doesn't take BOGs into account
                            I've been told (not shown) that this is the deal in the east. Those schools have historically used discounted housing or meal plan waivers to make up for a lack of tuition scholarship revenue. What I don't understand is whether they are counted in that number you're seeing. IMO if the student gets the award because they're an athlete it should be counted.
                            Last edited by Fightingscot82; 07-24-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

West Chester voodoo accounting.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X