Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrimack Out

Originally posted by QBWR View Post
    I applaud your undying devotion to DII/PSAC football...however, it is a "step up" as far as the ability to grant/give more scholarship money, the chance to play FBS schools ( yeah I know before you say it, NEC teams typically get blown out by FBS teams....still if you're a player, the chance to play at Syracuse, BYU, Hawaii, FAU, FIU, Montana State etc) and the payout that comes along with it, to travel to the host school.
    I certainly agree that the PSAC West could do a lot of damage in the NEC.
    So I guess you need to clarify "step up" then. If you're a very good-excellent player, what would you do if, for example:
    IUP offers you X amount of scholarship $..1/2, maybe 3/4 tuition/board, the chance to go deep into the DII playoffs
    or
    St. Francis/Wagner/Central Ct. offers you full tuition/board, 20% chance of making the playoffs, chance to play in the Carrier Dome in front of 35k people, greater(??) national exposure if you're dreaming of a tryout for the next level etc.

You do know that FCS schools get up to 63 athletic scholarships to divide among 85 athletes? So your average FCS football athlete is not getting full tuition/board.

Comment

I grew up not far from Merrimack. The school has grown tremendously in the last 10-15 years. I don't see football being any reason for the jump but in all other sports it may be.
      The hockey rink is not great, basketball court is a high school type facility, they tore out the baseball field for a parking lot.
      But one of the best football tailgate facilities in NE10 or PSAC that I've been to.
      They will have a ways to go, but good luck. Seeya.

Comment

Originally posted by QBWR View Post
        I fail to see your point. What does no scholarships in the Pioneer conference have to do with the post you responded to?
        DI-A/FBS games against non-athletic scholarship DI-AA/FCS teams do not count in terms of bowl eligibility, so DI-A/FBS teams almost never play teams in the Pioneer League or the Ivy League.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X