Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11

Here is a link to a great article I read once a year.

https://www.si.com/vault/2001/09/24/...four-of-a-kind

Re: 9/11

I remember every part of that day. I was student teaching at Indiana Junior High with Dr. Miller. Absolutely crazy!

Comment

Looks like ESPN is doing a new 9/11 show tonight about how sports helped America get back to "normal" after 9/11.

Here is a clip from the show about Army Navy, starting QB for Navy in 2001 was a western PA kid from Chartiers-Houston Ed Malinowski.
      http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24638648
      @zsimpson_d2

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Simpson View Post
        Looks like ESPN is doing a new 9/11 show tonight about how sports helped America get back to "normal" after 9/11.

Here is a clip from the show about Army Navy, starting QB for Navy in 2001 was a western PA kid from Chartiers-Houston Ed Malinowski.
        http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=24638648
        ESPN looking to make more $$$. No thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
          I remember every part of that day. I was student teaching at Indiana Junior High with Dr. Miller. Absolutely crazy!

Comment

There is a piece of the World Trade Center in the Oak Grove near Sutton Hall. I'd guess most don't know what it is but there is a plaque beside it.

Comment

I was a sophomore at Edinboro. Went to my 9:30 class knowing that a plane (assuming the size of a Cessna) had flown into one of the towers. Just as my 11:00 class started, they cancelled classes and we learned about what had happened.

There's a PSAC football connection to the tragedy - one of the pilots played football at West Chester. This article does a nice job of summarizing the man and the tribute to his honor.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/westc...11-anniversary

Comment

I never thought everyone on here was that young. Bloom has a flag up for every military person killed since 9/11.
                https://wnep.com/2018/09/11/bloomsbu...remember-9-11/

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Here is a link to a great article I read once a year.

https://www.si.com/vault/2001/09/24/...four-of-a-kind
                  A great tribute! Thanks for sharing it.:good::good:

Comment

I fly about 5 times a month. There isn't a trip I don't think about what those people lost.

Comment

Quite the day. Started it by moving my father from Hagerstown to a nursing home in suburban Harrisburg. Stopped at his brother's house in Shippensburg, where we watched the towers going down on TV.

We reached the nursing home in the late afternoon. As we were taking my dad's stuff up to his room, the doctor who did his admission exam said, "We need to talk. Right away."

Cancer. He was gone six months later.

Comment

I'm at the odd age in all of this. I'm 25. I was 8 years old when this day occurred. I think if I had been two years, maybe even one year younger, I probably wouldn't remember much, if anything at all.

I was in 3rd grade. I can still vividly picture the classroom. Where I was sitting. All that stuff. It's strange..

At that age, you didn't truly understand what was happening or what was going on. I remember my teacher crying. I remember other teachers crying. They were all gathered around outside in the hallway. None of us knew what was happening. Eventually, one of the televisions in the room was turned on. I don't recall if any teacher explained what was happening to us, but somehow we all knew by watching the TV that something bad had happened. We were all frightened. We were all scared. But none of us actually knew what had happened. I can actually still remember sitting at the lunch table that day with my elementary school girlfriend (everybody had one of those). We were talking about what we thought had occurred and what it might mean. Then I remember her getting dismissed in the middle of our lunch period.

It was mid-morning that students started getting dismissed. It seemed like over half the kids in the school had parents come and pick them up that day. My parents never picked me up that day. When my mom picked me up after school, I remember asking her why she didn't come to get me. I forget the actual answer, but paraphrasing, she said, "Whether you were at school or at home, it wasn't going to change what had happened."

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                          I'm at the odd age in all of this. I'm 25. I was 8 years old when this day occurred. I think if I had been two years, maybe even one year younger, I probably wouldn't remember much, if anything at all.

I was in 3rd grade. I can still vividly picture the classroom. Where I was sitting. All that stuff. It's strange..

At that age, you didn't truly understand what was happening or what was going on. I remember my teacher crying. I remember other teachers crying. They were all gathered around outside in the hallway. None of us knew what was happening. Eventually, one of the televisions in the room was turned on. I don't recall if any teacher explained what was happening to us, but somehow we all knew by watching the TV that something bad had happened. We were all frightened. We were all scared. But none of us actually knew what had happened. I can actually still remember sitting at the lunch table that day with my elementary school girlfriend (everybody had one of those). We were talking about what we thought had occurred and what it might mean. Then I remember her getting dismissed in the middle of our lunch period.

It was mid-morning that students started getting dismissed. It seemed like over half the kids in the school had parents come and pick them up that day. My parents never picked me up that day. When my mom picked me up after school, I remember asking her why she didn't come to get me. I forget the actual answer, but paraphrasing, she said, "Whether you were at school or at home, it wasn't going to change what had happened."
                          A former friend of mine was a teacher on that day. He had to break up several fights. He taught special education kids and that included some with learning disabilities, but mostly kids with behavioral issues. Many of the Arab kids in his class were cheering and happy that day and the other kids took exception. I would have hated to have been in that class that day.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I was barely 25 when it happened, teaching in Bridgeport, CT (maybe 90 minutes from NYC on a good day) in my second week as a full-time college teacher. Everyone in my class who had a cell phone (this was still the time when not everyone had a cell phone) had it go off at pretty much the same time, around 8:40 I think. I call for a class break at about 9:15 (3-hour lectures need breaks) and one student comes up to me and tells me what happened, and it's just one of those things you can't believe could happen until it does. At about 9:30 the intercom goes off and the president of the college announces that the college is shutting down indefinitely and we are all to leave by 10:30. I taught at that school 5 years and it was the only time the intercom was used. I joined a couple co-workers in a neighboring classroom and saw the towers go down on TV - just plain shock all around. I thought 30,000 people died if not more. Driving home the first thing I hear on the radio was Black Sabbath's "War Pigs" and the first thing I saw on the highway were no cars going south on the Merritt Parkway (I was going north)-I could have gotten out of my car and walked on that road.

The fire, police, EMT's, the people on Flight 93 - I can't fathom what it must have taken for those people to go in when all logic says to go out.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
                              Quite the day. Started it by moving my father from Hagerstown to a nursing home in suburban Harrisburg. Stopped at his brother's house in Shippensburg, where we watched the towers going down on TV.

We reached the nursing home in the late afternoon. As we were taking my dad's stuff up to his room, the doctor who did his admission exam said, "We need to talk. Right away."

Cancer. He was gone six months later.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X