Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 9/11

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
    Quite the day. Started it by moving my father from Hagerstown to a nursing home in suburban Harrisburg. Stopped at his brother's house in Shippensburg, where we watched the towers going down on TV.

We reached the nursing home in the late afternoon. As we were taking my dad's stuff up to his room, the doctor who did his admission exam said, "We need to talk. Right away."

Cancer. He was gone six months later.

Comment

Relating 9/11 to an IUP football standpoint----it was indeed a double sad day there as well as DB Tim Singel was laid to rest that day after a tragic accident on one of the Indiana streets a few nights before that. Singel had been a star at now defunct Laurel Valley High School before coming to IUP. It's hard not to think about him each year on the anniversary as well as the former West Chest QB who was one of the flight crew on one of the planes that hit the Trade Towers.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
        Relating 9/11 to an IUP football standpoint----it was indeed a double sad day there as well as DB Tim Singel was laid to rest that day after a tragic accident on one of the Indiana streets a few nights before that. Singel had been a star at now defunct Laurel Valley High School before coming to IUP. It's hard not to think about him each year on the anniversary as well as the former West Chest QB who was one of the flight crew on one of the planes that hit the Trade Towers.

-
        I remember the night of Tim's passing. Awful.

Comment

I was a freshman at Cheyney and on my way to my 9am class running late when I was watching the Today show and saw the WTC on fire and them saying a plane hit it. A few minutes later as I was leaving my dorm the 2nd plane hit and I ran to class to inform my classmates as phones with internet access was very limited back then. Cheyney cancelled all classes that afternoon as the campus shut down minus the food services/library the rest of the day and I stayed in my room watching the news coverage until I fell asleep around midnite.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
            I was a freshman at Cheyney and on my way to my 9am class running late when I was watching the Today show and saw the WTC on fire and them saying a plane hit it. A few minutes later as I was leaving my dorm the 2nd plane hit and I ran to class to inform my classmates as phones with internet access was very limited back then. Cheyney cancelled all classes that afternoon as the campus shut down minus the food services/library the rest of the day and I stayed in my room watching the news coverage until I fell asleep around midnite.
            It is crazy to look back at that day and think about the technology then compared to now. I had just gotten my first cell phone because I traveled quite a bit for my job and it definitely did not have internet access. My graduating college class (Spring 2001) was probably one of the last where the majority went through college without a cell phone. I only knew a small handful of people who had one.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
              It is crazy to look back at that day and think about the technology then compared to now. I had just gotten my first cell phone because I traveled quite a bit for my job and it definitely did not have internet access. My graduating college class (Spring 2001) was probably one of the last where the majority went through college without a cell phone. I only knew a small handful of people who had one.
              We graduated in the same class. It was odd to even have a computer in your apartment or dorm room. Imagine kids today having to go to a 'computer lab'. I had a cell phone my senior year ... back when 'peak' minutes were a mo fo on your bill.

I am thankful looking back you still needed 'cash' to go uptown. I can imagine what these kids spend of 'tabs' these days with credit cards.

Comment

http://liu.edu/CWPost/About/News/Pre...ation-Ceremony
                LIU Post football field was named after a former player Durrell 'Bronko' Pearsall, who then went on to be captain of the FDNY football team and tragically lost his life responding to 9/11. All the players walk out on gameday and touch the piece of steel recovered from the towers. Great way to honor him and remember.

Comment

Thanks, guys. It's never been lost on me that my suffering on that day was miniscule compared to those who lost spouses or children in NYC.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X