Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has the best and worst coaching staffs??

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the best and worst coaching staffs??

I am curious to know who has the best coaching staffs in the PSAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Who has the best and worst coaching staffs??

I won't put Ship's raw talent at the top. But I certainly would consider their coaching staff to be one of the best. Maciejewski has been money at home for seven years (disregarding Saturday), gets good assistants, and runs an upbeat program.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
      I won't put Ship's raw talent at the top. But I certainly would consider their coaching staff to be one of the best. Maciejewski has been money at home for seven years (disregarding Saturday), gets good assistants, and runs an upbeat program.
      I'd say there is a difference between running a program, and the game day coaching. For just game day, I'd probably go with Schaetzle at Hurst and Clements at KU, Tort easily the best DC, and, He manages the game well but not sold on the OC. Zwann runs a great program, as does Maciejewski. the proof is in the wins . Then there is recruiting. . .

With a few exceptions, though, I think coaching in the PSAC is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
        I'd say there is a difference between running a program, and the game day coaching. For just game day, I'd probably go with Schaetzle at Hurst and Clements at KU, Tort easily the best DC, and, He manages the game well but not sold on the OC. Zwann runs a great program, as does Maciejewski. the proof is in the wins . Then there is recruiting. . .

With a few exceptions, though, I think coaching in the PSAC is pretty good.
        easily the best D coordinator? lol

Comment

Originally posted by MC1313 View Post
          I am curious to know who has the best coaching staffs in the PSAC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloomsburg had the best head coach when Hale was there but now nobody stands out. Torts is 16-1 right now as a head coach but he needs another year or two on his resume for a full appraisal .

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
            Bloomsburg had the best head coach when Hale was there but now nobody stands out. Torts is 16-1 right now as a head coach but he needs another year or two on his resume for a full appraisal .
            Torts came at perfect time.

Comment

It's a loaded question -- and hard to answer.

For one, not all programs are created equal.

Would Clarion's Chris Wiebel look like a star if he had a budget like SRU or IUP? Perhaps.

Comment

College is so much about recruiting and the ability to keep kids focused to execute a game plan rather than being a mastermind of X's and O's like the pro level.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                  College is so much about recruiting and the ability to keep kids focused to execute a game plan rather than being a mastermind of X's and O's like the pro level.
                  very true, except when you don't go for 2 when you're down 5, or when you snap into the end zone, when you are ahead with 59 seconds to go.

Comment

Mike Terwilliger has by-and-large been a great OC, and Jimmy has had a lot of coaching success in high school so I'm hopeful he is successful. Now, our defensive coaching leaves a great deal to be desired; I would say the DC needs to be replaced, but knowing ESU, they'd probably promote the young defensive backs coach they just hired, David Castillo, since he's an "ESU guy", and the cycle would just continue.

Of course, Denny is who he is, and there's not much point trying to say anything that hasn't already been said. I do think his luster may have faded a little bit in these 2010s as ESU has struggled to keep up with the top PSAC programs, but his place in the books is solidified. Maybe if he was better at surrounding himself with defensive minds that could shore up that side of the ball, ESU would still be a 6+ win team and we'd be talking about one of the better overall coaching staffs considering the budget.

Comment

Comment

Different league like "IUP" Omg you're right their quality of players just has been so much better than Cal and SRU lol

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post
                          Mike Terwilliger has by-and-large been a great OC, and Jimmy has had a lot of coaching success in high school so I'm hopeful he is successful. Now, our defensive coaching leaves a great deal to be desired; I would say the DC needs to be replaced, but knowing ESU, they'd probably promote the young defensive backs coach they just hired, David Castillo, since he's an "ESU guy", and the cycle would just continue.

Of course, Denny is who he is, and there's not much point trying to say anything that hasn't already been said. I do think his luster may have faded a little bit in these 2010s as ESU has struggled to keep up with the top PSAC programs, but his place in the books is solidified. Maybe if he was better at surrounding himself with defensive minds that could shore up that side of the ball, ESU would still be a 6+ win team and we'd be talking about one of the better overall coaching staffs considering the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                            very true, except when you don't go for 2 when you're down 5, or when you snap into the end zone, when you are ahead with 59 seconds to go.
                            i wonder who this could be referring to? nine days later, it's still painful

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfHomer01 View Post
                              Torts came at perfect time.
                              You can argue that, but you can also argue that he's the right guy for the given situation. It goes both ways. There's great coaches in bad situations. There's terrible coaches in good situations. There's good coaches in good situations at the right time. I think that's Tort.

Curt Cignetti had an abundance of talent at IUP, but he peaked. The program likely hit the highest point they were ever going to go with Curt. I was disappointed to see Curt go, but I think Tort is just the right guy for the situation. I don't necessarily think he "came at the perfect time." There's arguably just as much talent on the field today as there was in Cignetti's last season in 2016. I think the depth is better and the #1s are probably better, but we aren't talking about night and day differences here. I just think Tort is better at getting the most out of guys. He interacts well with players, gets support from fans and donors because he is lively, energetic, and speaks the language. Curt was an introvert. Interviews were dry, recruiting had become stagnant, buzz around the program had faded. That all changed with Tort longed before he ever coached one play as the head coach. He just injected more life and enthusiasm into the program than Curt could at that point. Sometimes you forget coaching is more of a sales position than anything.

Success in coaching isn't necessarily about X's and O's, talent on your roster, etc. It's about if you are the right personality to lead the crop of players that is on your roster at that current moment in time.
                              Last edited by IUP24; 09-17-2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X