Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Sharon Taylor lifetime achievement award

http://www.lockhaven.com/sports/loca...evement-award/

Going to post this but there might be only a few posters who know the name Sharon Taylor. Can't wait to see 'Nation's' comments. But I always respected Taylor. In fact, I respect anyone who achieves success in their particular field of endeavor regardless of what it is. Especially people who change the status quo like Taylor did.

One of the top coaches of all time in the PSAC she was ridden out of town on a rail by people who thought she discriminated against men's sports. Bashed her to no end. When she filed a libel suit against the ESPN radio affiliate in Williamsport they legally hid behind the defense that she was a "public figure" so they could say whatever they wanted about her regardless of its veracity. Women's sports thrived under her leadership and men's often didn't. Especially football. They are still bad, though. Wrestling has improved since her departure.

So, my question is did the men's and women's performance differ so much (in some sports) because she had a bias or did the women's programs excel because she was such a force in women's athletics on a national and international level? How different is this from the Edinboro situation and Baumgartner's impact on the wrestling program? Was it to the detriment of the rest of the sports? How much gender bias does exist in college athletics departments?

Anyways, congratulations to Sharon on this award.

OT: Sharon Taylor lifetime achievement award

Yes Ms Taylor, congrats on making Lock Haven foosball incredibly bad for 30 years that it has zero chance to ever get better.

Comment

Re: OT: Sharon Taylor lifetime achievement award

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
      Yes Ms Taylor, congrats on making Lock Haven foosball incredibly bad for 30 years that it has zero chance to ever get better.
      That was quick. :smile-big:

Comment

Comment

I think they have the same struggles that Mansfield always had: below average resources, below average facilities, and a low population in the immediate area. TBH I wonder if that's become a factor for Clarion. Mansfield did that have that season with Poohbear MacNeal but otherwise they were in the same category.

Comment

It is a challenge. Take a minority kid from an urban environment and drop him in Clarion ... beyond culture shock.

That area up there is about as white as white can get. You still see Confederate flags ... those are real factors in recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              It is a challenge. Take a minority kid from an urban environment and drop him in Clarion ... beyond culture shock.

That area up there is about as white as white can get. You still see Confederate flags ... those are real factors in recruiting.
              It probably is a factor for most of the PSAC schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                It probably is a factor for most of the PSAC schools.
                It is to an extent but it's extreme in a few towns in particular. I spend a lot of time up around Clarion (cabin). It's a different world still stuck somewhere between the Civil War and the 1950s.

Comment

Lock Haven has a new turf field this year.

Comment

OT: Sharon Taylor lifetime achievement award

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X