Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Leave the PSAC?

Re: Time to Leave the PSAC?

OK, who do you see as the haves and have nots ? And given distances/costs, who can you bring in from outside ? Some of the teams I've considered haves are not doing too well this year.

Comment

Somebody is dominant in most college football conferences. In this era, IUP is it for the PSAC. Five, 10, 15 years from now, it might be somebody else. Although I know it's hard for some to wrap their heads around that fact.

Comment

Let's wait until Shepherd is in the conference and see how that affects things. This is a great conference if you like upsets and evenly matched teams. It's pretty rare that a team gets out of this conference unscathed.

Comment

The difference is some schools emphasize foosball and other emphasize non revenue sports so they can win Dixon Trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
            OK, who do you see as the haves and have nots ? And given distances/costs, who can you bring in from outside ? Some of the teams I've considered haves are not doing too well this year.

IUP better be still dominating in 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post
              Somebody is dominant in most college football conferences. In this era, IUP is it for the PSAC. Five, 10, 15 years from now, it might be somebody else. Although I know it's hard for some to wrap their heads around that fact.
              True, if the time frame is long enough, say 25 - 30 years, I think all of the PSAC teams have made the playoffs, except Lock Haven, and Gannon.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
                The difference is some schools emphasize foosball and other emphasize non revenue sports so they can win Dixon Trophies.
                Then go the FCS route. (And you forgot to reference tiddly-winks.)

Others don't emphasize nonrevenue sports. They simply don't ignore nonrevenue sports. That's the difference.

Comment

It's probably more of a case of just having some really, really dead weight -- Seton Hill, Lock Haven, Millersville.

Then, you have some really, really underachieving programs -- Gannon, Mercyhurst, East Stroudsburg (you can probably clump Bloom in this category as of late, too). The Erie schools being a combined 1-7 is just unacceptable. If you go by the scholarship report that so many of you love ... 7 scholarship Clarion just took down 36 scholarship Gannon -- and held them to negative rushing years FOR THE GAME. It probably didn't help, either, that GU gave up 200+ yards in penalties.

Comment

I think it is more a willingness to have consistently competitive, quality football programs instead of those that are periodically average. I think there would be general agreement on most of those that are consistent. They would make a good conference among themselves by leaving the PSAC to play quality DII football. Yes, financial considerations are important if travel distances are an issue.

Comment

The problem is rounding out the league. I would guess Cal, Rock IUP in the west, WCU and Shepherd in the east. who after that ? If you go by recent success, KU, Ship, Bloom and Edinboro are probably the ones That gives 9 teams, though all 4 have had some fairly down years recently - Ships being this year.

Comment

My brother had an interesting idea. How about we eliminate the east/west set up and put the best 8 teams in one division and the bottom one in the other. Like the English Premier League. Each year the bottom two from the top drop down, and the top two the bottom move up. Of course then you would probably want to stop playing the conference title game.
                        GO HUSKIES!

Comment

It may just be a waiting game. Not all of these current schools will be playing football in the upcoming 5-10 years.

Comment

The reward is not high enough for the top PSAC programs to break off and do anything on a conference level. The only thing I could see possibly happening is the PSAC breaking into two merit-based divisions, with the top 8 programs in one division and the remaining 8 in the other. The champion of the lower division can move up the following year, swapping places with last place in the higher division. A promotion/relegation system, if you will.

Now, I don't see this happening either. So, TL;DR, no, it's not time to leave the PSAC.

EDIT: CC_BU got there minutes before me. :doh:

Comment

This isn't only a PSAC issue, it's a D2 issue.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X