Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A decade of might have been..

Noticed a name I hadn't seen for some time on today's cut list, Terrelle Pryor. JAGS released him today, the 9th team to do so since his arrival in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft by the RAIDERS. From the time he flip flopped on his choice of college, the Jeanette HS GOAT seemed to be on the wrong path making one bad move after another. Hard to say that things would have been better but playing BB for Jamie Dixon at Pitt could have put him on a different path. Don't know if a 30 year old jack of no trades gets another shot. Hope he saved his $$$.

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Noticed a name I hadn't seen for some time on today's cut list, Terrelle Pryor. JAGS released him today, the 9th team to do so since his arrival in the 3rd round of the supplemental draft by the RAIDERS. From the time he flip flopped on his choice of college, the Jeanette HS GOAT seemed to be on the wrong path making one bad move after another. Hard to say that things would have been better but playing BB for Jamie Dixon at Pitt could have put him on a different path. Don't know if a 30 year old jack of no trades gets another shot. Hope he saved his $$$.
    He should have gone to Penn State. The Overrated State University is a curse.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Tell that to players like Michael Thomas, Ted Ginn, Cam Heyward, Zeke Elliot, Both Bosa's, Eddie George, etc. That's just off the top of my head...

Comment

Comment

Pryor has made $15m in his NFL career.

I'd guess he will be signed off the wire within a couple days (or certainly as injuries inevitability start to mount).

He wasn't the star many thought he'd be but from his childhood in a very rough part to Jeannette to $15m .... he's done real, real well.

Comment

Name the last Penn State player other than Saquan Barkley to be an offensive impact player in the NFL.

Penn State was never even in his Top 5 schools. He was down to Ohio State, Michigan, Pitt, West Virginia, and Oregon. The final two were Ohio State and Michigan. While he didn't actually go to Pitt and they never were in his Final 2 schools, many people still believe Pitt is the indirect reason as to why Pryor ended up at Ohio State. Most recruiting experts actually had him pegged to go to West Virginia. In 2007, Pitt beat #2 West Virginia in what is one of the biggest and most shocking upsets in the last 50 years of college football. Pryor was really tight with Rich Rodriguez, who bolted for Michigan after the loss to Pitt in the that year's Backyard Brawl. That essentially eliminated WVU from contention. Pryor did not graduate until the following year. But Michigan was not in a great place at that time post Lloyd Carr and at the beginning of the Rich Rod era. He went to Ohio State and had a good career there. I've always been fascinated at how the dominoes fall in recruiting and how certain players end up playing at a certain school due to a number of different events that happened.

Where Pryor truly went wrong was that he likely picked the wrong position to play in college. When he was coming out of high school, scouts thought he had NFL potential at 5 positions (QB, WR, TE, DE, and Safety). Had he honed his craft in college as a WR with his size and athleticism, he may not have bounced around as much. Others believe that his speed could have been deadly coming off the edge as a pass rusher in the right defense had he put on weight.

But to play in the league for the amount of time he has and to make 15 million, you can't say he failed as a pro. Not in the slightest.
            Last edited by IUP24; 08-31-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Tell that to players like Michael Thomas, Ted Ginn, Cam Heyward, Zeke Elliot, Both Bosa's, Eddie George, etc. That's just off the top of my head...
              It just Seems like the Suckeyes have big recruits who flame out all the time or wind up in jail.

Poor Idaho. I hope they at least enjoyed the rest of their time in the Happy Valley.

Comment

It just Seems like the Suckeyes have big recruits who flame out all the time or wind up in jail.

Poor Idaho. I hope they at least enjoyed the rest of their time in the Happy Valley.
                It's a very nice place to visit...if you're not playing football !!

Comment

Who's the head coach of Penn State? Apple doesn't far from the East Stroudsburg tree.

Comment

Comment

Ohioans are delusional that their state is actually a nice place to live.Ohio makes the Yinzerlands look like Beverly Hills.

Penn State can't be that far behind considering the Suckeyes have only beaten Penn State at the buzzer (and Penn State basically choked and I blame the coach) the last two years.

Get a better coach in the Happy Valley and there is no way anyone would rather go to Columbus or Ann Arbor to play.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Name the last Penn State player other than Saquan Barkley to be an offensive impact player in the NFL.

Penn State was never even in his Top 5 schools. He was down to Ohio State, Michigan, Pitt, West Virginia, and Oregon. The final two were Ohio State and Michigan. While he didn't actually go to Pitt and they never were in his Final 2 schools, many people still believe Pitt is the indirect reason as to why Pryor ended up at Ohio State. Most recruiting experts actually had him pegged to go to West Virginia. In 2007, Pitt beat #2 West Virginia in what is one of the biggest and most shocking upsets in the last 50 years of college football. Pryor was really tight with Rich Rodriguez, who bolted for Michigan after the loss to Pitt in the that year's Backyard Brawl. That essentially eliminated WVU from contention. Pryor did not graduate until the following year. But Michigan was not in a great place at that time post Lloyd Carr and at the beginning of the Rich Rod era. He went to Ohio State and had a good career there. I've always been fascinated at how the dominoes fall in recruiting and how certain players end up playing at a certain school due to a number of different events that happened.

Where Pryor truly went wrong was that he likely picked the wrong position to play in college. When he was coming out of high school, scouts thought he had NFL potential at 5 positions (QB, WR, TE, DE, and Safety). Had he honed his craft in college as a WR with his size and athleticism, he may not have bounced around as much. Others believe that his speed could have been deadly coming off the edge as a pass rusher in the right defense had he put on weight.

But to play in the league for the amount of time he has and to make 15 million, you can't say he failed as a pro. Not in the slightest.

As for your last paragraph ... add up how long it would take the average American to make $15 million dollars. It's almost impossible for all to make that in their whole life. He wasn't a star like many thought but should never have to work again, either. Not bad at age 31 or whatever he is.

Comment

Ohioans are delusional that their state is actually a nice place to live.Ohio makes the Yinzerlands look like Beverly Hills.

Penn State can't be that far behind considering the Suckeyes have only beaten Penn State at the buzzer (and Penn State basically choked and I blame the coach) the last two years.

Get a better coach in the Happy Valley and there is no way anyone would rather go to Columbus or Ann Arbor to play.

Comment

I'm from Pittsburgh, but have lived in Columbus for four years. It's a great city. Beautiful city, actually. There's a large offering for whatever you are interested in. There's a diverse mix of entertainment options, a university that the city was built around, excellent growth and job opportunities for a student in the city after graduation.

Every school offers something different. People have this delusion that people want to go to Penn State because a bunch of people go to the football games. Not everybody wants to spend four years in the middle of a cow pasture. And I'm not being nasty to Penn State. We all think we know what a 17 year old high school kid wants. Not everybody wants what Penn State tries to sell in recruiting.

Comment

I've often said that the best route for any recruit that is looking to make the league is to simply go where they'll play. Not necessarily where they will win national championships. Early in the thread the comparison of players from schools was discussed. Pitt is an average program and does an awesome job at putting kids in the league. And they put really good players in the league too.

People forget that schools like Penn State and Ohio State didn't want Aaron Donald. Nobody could have guessed he would eventually be the best player in the NFL in 2019, but I think my point is that he could have gone to a school where 4 and 5 star players are coming in every year and never gotten on the field. At the upper echelon programs, you're an injury and a recruit away from your football career finishing at a D2 program.

IUPMonk has talked about this at length before. He has a nephew that plays at Pitt. He's mentioned this a bunch. He was a 3 star recruit and was recruited by both Penn State and Ohio State. Come in and under perform or get hurt, one of the four other 4 star guys brought in at his position will take your spot. Go where you can play early and show 3-4 years of progression on film and you have a great chance of saying you spent 3 years as a starter and will get drafted.

***And I am not making this an Ohio State/Penn State versus Pitt discussion. It's just the reality of the situation. If you go one of those big programs and are lucky enough to get on the field you can make some money in a couple of years. But it's harder to get on and stay on the field when you have guys as good or better with NFL potential coming into the program year after year. ****

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X