Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The knock also was his teams were behaving like lunatics off the field. Recall the 2011 Sports Illustrated article stating Pitt led all of D1 in players with criminal records, etc.

But, I agree he was the man for the job. He'd still be here, too. Narduzzi is a big talker (blowhard as Madden calls him).

Comment

Wanny was the classic coach who could coach but couldn't run a 21st century program. Plus I think he was the epitome of Pitt's recruiting focus on selling NFL draft potential rather than national championships.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They had that and ran the coach out of town because the most vocal and influential boosters at the time were still thirsting for the Johnny Majors era.
        You aren't getting any arguments from me on that. That said, I like Narduzzi a lot more than most people do. Other programs may have had worse win loss records, but they were still on better footing in terms of stability from a coaching standpoint at the time he took over. With the coaching turnover Pitt experienced, the lack of depth and recruiting was evident. It took a long time for them to simply stack a couple recruiting classes together without a coaching change. I think you have to take it one year at a time with Narduzzi. The quality of players he's recruiting has improved the last 2 years. But they're never going to get the types of players that the Penn State's of the world are getting in terms of volume. They might get 1 or 2 of those a year. Those other schools get 16-20 of them.

They had the right mix of everything in Wannstedt's era, but to have never won the Big East during that period with some of the players he had is pretty low. The game that ultimately got him fired was that UCONN loss in his last year. They were on the UCONN 40ish yard line with the lead in a one possession game inside of 2 or so minutes left in the game. If I recall, UCONN was out of timeouts. Pitt had a 4th and 6 inches. Fall forward half a yard and you win the Big East. He punted and UCONN scored a touchdown with like thirty seconds left. That was 2010.

I believe that as time goes on, any wounds between Wannstedt and the university will heal. I think he will one day return to the school, not as a coach, but in some support role within the athletic department.
        Last edited by IUP24; 09-03-2019, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Yeah. That's so true. Those last two years were "what could have been" seasons for them as a program. They were in the driver's seat to win the Big East both years and found ways to blow it both times.

Comment

Dave had that charisma, too. Imagine him coming in to meet Mom and Dad? They'd eat him up. Probably no coincidence he had tremendously more talent in the program.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Wanny was the classic coach who could coach but couldn't run a 21st century program. Plus I think he was the epitome of Pitt's recruiting focus on selling NFL draft potential rather than national championships.

Comment

Madden is on a pretty epic Pitt bashing rant today. The key points:

* Narduzzi is awful, a crybaby and a blowhard
                * They left Oakland
                * The WPIAL is washed up and what stars remain don't even consider Pitt
                * Firing Dave W. was suicide

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Madden is on a pretty epic Pitt bashing rant today. The key points:

* Narduzzi is awful, a crybaby and a blowhard
                  * They left Oakland
                  * The WPIAL is washed up and what stars remain don't even consider Pitt
                  * Firing Dave W. was suicide
                  I really like Mark Madden, but his opinion on Pitt football is, to a point, questionable. In 2016, he spent weeks leading up to the first installment of the revamped Pitt-Penn State game talking about how hard he was rooting for Pitt and about how much he hates Penn State football. He doesn't like Narduzzi, therefore, he doesn't like Pitt football. That likely means that somebody within the Pitt Athletic Department did not grant him an interview after that game. Because soon after he turned on Pitt football. That's part of his disdain towards the Pirates. They don't offer him a press pass to the games and do not permit their players to go on his show. So in turn, he hates the Pirates.

I like Madden. But he does hold grudges like that.

Comment

News keeps getting worse in Oakland ... starting DL Keyshon Camp is done for the year.

Along with Rashad Weaver that's two major blows to the Pitt defense and the season is a week old.

Comment

News keeps getting worse in Oakland ... starting DL Keyshon Camp is done for the year.

Along with Rashad Weaver that's two major blows to the Pitt defense and the season is a week old.
                      Some more bad news breaking from the hallowed halls of Oakland------Kenny Pickett will start at QB again this week. Goodness!

-

Comment

Trying to watch Pitt at 11am on my phone.

Are they still in D1?

Comment

Trying to watch Pitt at 11am on my phone.

Are they still in D1?
                          Try the ACC Network. It is fantastic! I loved the 11 AM kickoff. A good thing for people who are busy on Saturdays.

Goodness it should be downright criminal how good Pitt looks in the new uniforms.

We still really have no idea how good or bad Pitt is. Virginia is a tough team this year and I'm not sure if Ohio was a great test. Stay tuned...

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Try the ACC Network. It is fantastic! I loved the 11 AM kickoff. A good thing for people who are busy on Saturdays.

Goodness it should be downright criminal how good Pitt looks in the new uniforms.

We still really have no idea how good or bad Pitt is. Virginia is a tough team this year and I'm not sure if Ohio was a great test. Stay tuned...

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X