Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shepherd Defensive Preview

The Shepherd defense is returning 9 starters from last year's team. Both DB Dejuan Neal and DL Tatah Ndeh depart from the defense. Neal was very solid and Ndeh was a motor on the line, but neither player is a game changing loss. Last year's defense was not a signature Shepherd defense we've gotten used to from Coach Kline. Quite frankly, sometimes you just don't have the horses. The key to Shepherd's speedy defense is the beef in the middle of the four man defensive line. In its dominant years, Shepherd had the likes of Mike Franklin and Isaiah Ross manning the middle. The middle of Shepherd's defense has to force teams to run east/ west so that the speed of the linebackers can persue the play. If teams find success running north south up the middle Shepherd's safeties tend to get caught cheating or looking into the backfield. It's when the opposing team is able to hit plays down field. There's been plenty od speculation that Maryland transfer Adam McLean may be an option to man the middle of that defensive line, but he hasn't officially been listed on the roster yet. That's fairly typical though. Returning on the line are Juwan Addison and Scott Dixon. Martinsburg product Jalen Hesen may also find some time in the rotation.
    At linebacker, Chrys Lane is a budding star. He has a nose for the ball and always seems to be in the mix. Ponce DeLeon is an undersized OLB who has big play capabilities and plays with a lot of passion. Sometimes he plays with a little too much and receives the 15 yard penalty. In addition, David Eppard and Jared Austin should see considerable playing time. The secondary looks good this year as they return everyone but Neal. They also had some transfers come in this summer.
    All on all, the defense will need to be disciplined this year. The defensive line will be the key to this. They will need to impose their will on the opponent's offensive line. McLean could be that game changer.

Good summary. Certainly a concern the last 2-3 years has been the Dline play. We haven't had ,as you mentioned, the anchors as in the past & that will be key this year as we generally will be facing stronger Olines from game to game.

Also hope the occasionally famous "sophmore slump" syndrome doesn't affect TB this year. Many times guys that have better than average freshman years don't seem to progress as well the following year, for what ever reasons.

The still young team will certainly get a good first "testing" in about 6 days!
    Won't be able to get to the game but hoping for a well played, injury free contest.

Comment

So it appears that Adam McLean may not suit up for the first game based off of his tweet. Probably waiting on eligibility process to finalize. This guy definitely would be a force and well worth the wait. Nasheed Bridgeman, you have the duty of anchoring the middle this week!

Comment

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post
        So it appears that Adam McLean may not suit up for the first game based off of his tweet. Probably waiting on eligibility process to finalize. This guy definitely would be a force and well worth the wait. Nasheed Bridgeman, you have the duty of anchoring the middle this week!
        Highly doubt he plays this year. Think he needs to get his grades in order before he can suit up. I believe the plan was 2020 for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Highly doubt he plays this year. Think he needs to get his grades in order before he can suit up. I believe the plan was 2020 for him.
          Tough to say, his tweets seem to lean towards this year. I would also think if he was going to sit a year, he would have had a pretty open d1 slate.

Comment

Originally posted by Monte's Catering Co. View Post

Tough to say, his tweets seem to lean towards this year. I would also think if he was going to sit a year, he would have had a pretty open d1 slate.
            I think McLean's tweets were leaning towards playing this year too. But I see today's tweet that I believe Monte's talking about. So maybe he's waiting to clear compliance. REALLY wishing he has a stellar year. Still scratching my head on how did your guys grab this former 4-Star kid.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X