Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarion has had a knack for doing something very well as of late -- losing close games. Last year the Golden Eagles lost four times by a touchdown or less. Go back two years (their 1-10 season) and they lost four games by 10 points or less. They put two major scares in to IUP the past couple seasons.

Clarion started a major rebuild in the 2017 season. Those kids are all redshirt sophomores or juniors now.

Last season against the West 'Big Three':

SRU, L, 28-13
    IUP, L,, 24-23
    Cal, L, 41-27

Don't forget the schedule makers are oh so nice to the Golden Eagles. They routinely get the 'Big 3" in three consecutive weeks. How that routinely happens, well, sure isn't fair to Clarion.

They also may have the top (or short list) running back in the PSAC in Mylique McGriff. Add to it a senior QB in Jeff Clemens who I think has been there 11-12 years now. Mix in a typically pretty chippy defense and last week maybe shouldn't have been the shock we all found it to be.

Looking at Clarion's schedule, they should get past Lock Haven fairly easily and then host Shepherd in what could be the biggest home game up there in years and years. After that it's at trip to #LIT-AF and a visit from Seton Hill. Anything less than 4-1 heading in to the Big 3 would probably be a disappointment at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post

How would he have a redshirt available if he was previously listed as a redshirt senior? Unless it's a medical redshirt or he is sitting the fall semester out completely.
      He has played only two collegiate seasons -- one at Albany, one at Shippensburg. But it's quite possible he isn't enrolled at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

He has played only two collegiate seasons -- one at Albany, one at Shippensburg. But it's quite possible he isn't enrolled at the moment.
        I was just thinking since he enrolled at a JUCO for a couple years those semesters count as well. Hopefully he can complete his eligibility in 2020 and we can make a nice deep run next year. With Saturday's performance I'm not to confident we will keep the winning season streak alive with the tough consecutive games we have with Rock, Cal, WCU, Bloomsburg & Shepherd with no give me wins in between......

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

He also played in four games in 2015 at Albany, so I, too wonder if the community college time is counting against his 10 semesters.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

I don't doubt that you both know what you're talking about. It's obvious Ship didn't play well. If it had, it wouldn't have lost by 20. At home. To a team that has had four winning seasons this millennium.

My point is that a lot of people on here are suggesting it's not what Clarion did right, but what Shippensburg did wrong that explains things. Well, we all know that sometimes a team forces another team to make mistakes. I know the Ship faithful are looking at this and wondering what went wrong, but I think maybe the answer to that question is that Clarion was better on Saturday. Who knows? If they play 10 times, this might be the only day Clarion beats Shippensburg.

Plus, any chance I get to mention the movie Office Space needs to be taken.
            I don't think anyone is saying that Clarion wasn't much the better team on Saturday. But we're talking about a Ship team that has averaged 38 points per game at home under Coach Mac's tenure and scored under 25 points only twice last year, with much of the team on that side of the ball returning. So I think it's natural for Ship fans to say, "what the hell?" The next couple of games will obviously provide an acid test for the Ship offense, and I guess we'll see if they get it together or not. With some inexperience on defense, it going to be a rough season if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
              Clarion has had a knack for doing something very well as of late -- losing close games. Last year the Golden Eagles lost four times by a touchdown or less. Go back two years (their 1-10 season) and they lost four games by 10 points or less. They put two major scares in to IUP the past couple seasons.

Clarion started a major rebuild in the 2017 season. Those kids are all redshirt sophomores or juniors now.

Last season against the West 'Big Three':

SRU, L, 28-13
              IUP, L,, 24-23
              Cal, L, 41-27

Don't forget the schedule makers are oh so nice to the Golden Eagles. They routinely get the 'Big 3" in three consecutive weeks. How that routinely happens, well, sure isn't fair to Clarion.

They also may have the top (or short list) running back in the PSAC in Mylique McGriff. Add to it a senior QB in Jeff Clemens who I think has been there 11-12 years now. Mix in a typically pretty chippy defense and last week maybe shouldn't have been the shock we all found it to be.

Looking at Clarion's schedule, they should get past Lock Haven fairly easily and then host Shepherd in what could be the biggest home game up there in years and years. After that it's at trip to #LIT-AF and a visit from Seton Hill. Anything less than 4-1 heading in to the Big 3 would probably be a disappointment at this point.
              To me that's the dog fight of the PSAC West. Top 2 or 3 teams are fairly entrenched (for the time being) then the difference between everyone not Seton Hill is pretty close. Lots of close games and 1-2 possession results.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

To me that's the dog fight of the PSAC West. Top 2 or 3 teams are fairly entrenched (for the time being) then the difference between everyone not Seton Hill is pretty close. Lots of close games and 1-2 possession results.

Yep. Most teams first 22 players are solid. It's those next 22 that make all the difference.

Comment

Not enough. I keep being told that we're now putting cover sheets on all TPS reports.
                  Let me get you a copy of that memo on TPS report cover sheets. See, were putting cover sheets on all the TPS reports now. If you could start putting cover sheets on your TPS reports, that would be great!

Oh Matt, I'm going to need you to come in Saturday so if you could be in by 8, that would be great.

Comment

He also played in four games in 2015 at Albany, so I, too wonder if the community college time is counting against his 10 semesters.
                    Good catch, Matt; thanks. I thought he got the bounce prior to the season, but I guess he didn't.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X