Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post

So if you're a player who is playing on the last year of your deal with no guarantees but are a top 3 guy at your position in the league you're telling me you would be fine being paid less than value meanwhile the team can cut you at the end of training camp with no cap hit/penalty (LeSean McCoy) handicapping your future earnings for the current season because all other teams have filled rosters/salary cap???? Let's be real, now for Elliot if he held out on the final 2 years of his deal I could see your gripe but Gordon playing for half of his worth on the open market in the final year of his rookie deal no way in hell would i be mad at him. He blows an ACL in training camp guess who isn't even getting a franchise tag in 2020, he's getting a 1 year $2-3 million prove it deal, pretty much what Jay Ajayi is going to get whenever he lands a FA deal once he's fully healed up.
    Wouldn't a team release someone from their filled roster to make room for a top 3 guy at his position in the league?

Comment

Just reported...AB is being sued by a women in Miami-Dade County for sexual assault and rape. Guess we'll see pretty quickly if the Pat's are going to suspend him at the first hint of controversy as some have said they would! I personally doubt they will. I think the best we get from the Pats is a statement that basically says they are "monitoring" the situation but are going to take no action at this time because these event's occurred before he was a Patriot.
      Last edited by boatcapt; 09-11-2019, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post

So if you're a player who is playing on the last year of your deal with no guarantees but are a top 3 guy at your position in the league you're telling me you would be fine being paid less than value meanwhile the team can cut you at the end of training camp with no cap hit/penalty (LeSean McCoy) handicapping your future earnings for the current season because all other teams have filled rosters/salary cap???? Let's be real, now for Elliot if he held out on the final 2 years of his deal I could see your gripe but Gordon playing for half of his worth on the open market in the final year of his rookie deal no way in hell would i be mad at him. He blows an ACL in training camp guess who isn't even getting a franchise tag in 2020, he's getting a 1 year $2-3 million prove it deal, pretty much what Jay Ajayi is going to get whenever he lands a FA deal once he's fully healed up.
        You sign a contract. Bottom line. I know that's not what you want to hear. These guys think they have leverage. They don't. There will always be replacements for them. If Melvin Gordon has it so bad, he can go work a real job like you and me. The same people who watch the NFL today will watch them tomorrow if Melvin Gordon is not around anymore. Their viewership won't suffer if a couple guys trying to "get theirs" don't like the way the NFL operates anymore and retires. In any occupation, even in football, employees are replaceable. That's what all of these guys are. Employees.

You know the risk of playing professional football when you sign up for it. The Steelers were totally fair with Antonio Brown. They previously made him the highest paid receiver in football. Prior to that they gave him an advance on money by shifting around his back loaded 2nd contract. They gave him a "handshake" big money deal prior to his rookie contract being up. But he was concerned he would be cut because he "wasn't doing anymore of these unguarentees." Anybody who even remotely follows the Steelers knows that they were not going to simply cut him.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I could see the players dishing out some vigilante justice to AB ... similar to when Burfict was nearly charged with homicide after that hit a couple years ago.
          Eventually the players get sick of sideshow players. He keeps throwing his QBs under the bus - that won't go well in NE.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            Just reported...AB is being sued by a women in Miami-Dade County for sexual assault and rape. Guess we'll see pretty quickly if the Pat's are going to suspend him at the first hint of controversy as some have said they would! I personally doubt they will. I think the best we get from the Pats is a statement that basically says they are "monitoring" the situation but are going to take no action at this time because these event's occurred before he was a Patriot.

She didn't go to the police to report, allegedly, being raped 3 times?

Comment

People gripe about NFL contracts saying that players have every right to renegotiate them before they have run their course and rationalize this by saying that the team can cut the player at any point. But how is that different than the work situation of many (most) Americans work under right now? If my employer is not happy with my performance, OR if he finds someone who he believes can do my job better than I can, he has the right to fire me tomorrow.

Comment

She didn't go to the police to report, allegedly, being raped 3 times?
                Raped once in 2018...Before than in 2017, he cornered her in a bathroom once and exposed himself to her and the second time jacked-off behind her while they were watching a church service on a computer.

Comment

People gripe about NFL contracts saying that players have every right to renegotiate them before they have run their course and rationalize this by saying that the team can cut the player at any point. But how is that different than the work situation of many (most) Americans work under right now? If my employer is not happy with my performance, OR if he finds someone who he believes can do my job better than I can, he has the right to fire me tomorrow.
                  Players can pull crap so long as they have value.

As I said if Ray Rice wasn't on video going all Mike Tyson he'd still be playing. The video was his instant death.

The movie about AB is coming to an end. Time isn't his friend.
                  Once he loses a step (at his age it is nearing) ... he'll be a forgotten side show circus act.

But, yes, the vast majority of contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on.

Comment

Raped once in 2018...Before than in 2017, he cornered her in a bathroom once and exposed himself to her and the second time jacked-off behind her while they were watching a church service on a computer.
                    But ... no police? I smell a gold-digger.

Comment

But ... no police? I smell a gold-digger.
                      Sure, she could be. But in this day and age, haven't we been taught that we are to believe the victim at all costs?

I would point out that this sounds 100% like something Antonio Brown would do. He considers himself entitled and that the rules that apply to normal people don't apply to him.

Comment

Absolutely. Spot on.

Comment

Players can pull crap so long as they have value.

As I said if Ray Rice wasn't on video going all Mike Tyson he'd still be playing. The video was his instant death.

The movie about AB is coming to an end. Time isn't his friend.
                          Once he loses a step (at his age it is nearing) ... he'll be a forgotten side show circus act.

But, yes, the vast majority of contracts aren't worth the paper they are printed on.
                          There's a very small percentage of guys who can even remotely entertain the idea of "trying to pull a fast one" on the league. Brown is one of those guys because of how immensely talented he is. I'm not sure Melvin Gordon fits into that category. These guys all think they have leverage. They don't.

I can't wait for the owners to take back control.

Comment

Sure, she could be. But in this day and age, haven't we been taught that we are to believe the victim at all costs?

I would point out that this sounds 100% like something Antonio Brown would do. He considers himself entitled and that the rules that apply to normal people don't apply to him.
                            That's the scary part about the world we live in. I believe in our judicial system. I'm not one to jump to conclusions. If a story continually changes, there's no evidence, and the accuser refuses to take a rape test or make a statement on a polygraph, then there's a good chance that they might not be acting totally honest. Much of that was true with the Ben Roethlisberger accusation years back. You can't ruin another human's name on an accusation where there is no evidence of anything illegal occurring. People want to convict others on the grounds of he said/she said. That a DANGEROUS way to run a judicial system.

Now in the case of Brown, I agree with you. He considers himself above any rules or authority. I could totally see him doing what he's accused of. The alleged emails/texts from him to her also are pretty interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That's the scary part about the world we live in. I believe in our judicial system. I'm not one to jump to conclusions. If a story continually changes, there's no evidence, and the accuser refuses to take a rape test or make a statement on a polygraph, then there's a good chance that they might not be acting totally honest. Much of that was true with the Ben Roethlisberger accusation years back. You can't ruin another human's name on an accusation where there is no evidence of anything illegal occurring. People want to convict others on the grounds of he said/she said. That a DANGEROUS way to run a judicial system.

Now in the case of Brown, I agree with you. He considers himself above any rules or authority. I could totally see him doing what he's accused of. The alleged emails/texts from him to her also are pretty interesting.

Have you figured out what language they are in yet? My goodness I hope that really doesn't represent his intelligence level.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

There's a very small percentage of guys who can even remotely entertain the idea of "trying to pull a fast one" on the league. Brown is one of those guys because of how immensely talented he is. I'm not sure Melvin Gordon fits into that category. These guys all think they have leverage. They don't.

I can't wait for the owners to take back control.
                                People also say that it's OK for players to demand to renegotiate their contract in part because an NFL career is so short. Presumably they are saying that the player has to maximize his income in a short time because he can't work for 40 years like a "normal" American. But what they don't mention is that the average American makes only $1.4M over the course of his or her career. The NFL stars that are the ones that demand to renegotiate before their huge contracts (compared to normal Americans) expire think of $1.4M as "lose change" that fell out of their pockets.

Yes, the average NFL career is short (currently 3.3 years). But the NFL rookie minimum is $495K a year so even a scrub special team player that has an average length NFL career makes over $1.6M...STILL better than what an average American makes in his or her average 40 year career.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X