Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Have you figured out what language they are in yet? My goodness I hope that really doesn't represent his intelligence level.
    Central Michigan must be so proud of having such a distinguished and articulate alumnus!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      People also say that it's OK for players to demand to renegotiate their contract in part because an NFL career is so short. Presumably they are saying that the player has to maximize his income in a short time because he can't work for 40 years like a "normal" American. But what they don't mention is that the average American makes only $1.4M over the course of his or her career. The NFL stars that are the ones that demand to renegotiate before their huge contracts (compared to normal Americans) expire think of $1.4M as "lose change" that fell out of their pockets.

Yes, the average NFL career is short (currently 3.3 years). But the NFL rookie minimum is $495K a year so even a scrub special team player that has an average length NFL career makes over $1.6M...STILL better than what an average American makes in his or her average 40 year career.
      There's a lot of money involved with the NFL. But the owners still run a business. They aren't charity. They're in it to make money. That's why they have every right to not bring Colin Kapernick into their organization. They view that headache as potential lost revenue because don't identify with his platform, which they have every right to disagree with.

It's been proven time and again that running backs aren't worth the money that they seek. It's the most replaceable position in football. Maybe one of the most replaceable in sports. If a team could bring in a running back on a rookie deal to to perform the same job almost as well for 50% of the cost, why wouldn't they do that? It's a business. There's pay structures and pay scales in every organization and occupation for those in each role dependent on experience/skill level/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Have you figured out what language they are in yet? My goodness I hope that really doesn't represent his intelligence level.
        I have a translator that I sent them to. Haven't heard back yet. He said it might take a while.

Comment

Sure, she could be. But in this day and age, haven't we been taught that we are to believe the victim at all costs?

I would point out that this sounds 100% like something Antonio Brown would do. He considers himself entitled and that the rules that apply to normal people don't apply to him.
          Furthermore, most victims of rape do not go to the police for a variety of reasons we don't need to delve into here. And if she was a gold digger, she'd be seeking a lot more than the $75,000 that was reported. Gold diggers ask for millions. It could be that with all of the publicity it's wearing on her and she needs some closure. Rape is a much a psychological crime as it is a physical one.

All that said, the two of them will really be the only ones to know the truth. I read that there are some damning text messages though, which is why Brown's defense attorney has acknowledged that sex did happen.

Comment

Central Michigan must be so proud of having such a distinguished and articulate alumnus!!
            It's interesting that a guy from Florida who was that talented couldn't find a home at any Florida school or any school in the south for that matter. It's also interesting that he fell to the 6th round due to scouts' concerns about his character. It's interesting to think about both of those items separately and now realize what he is now.

The chickens always come home to roost. Antonio Brown doesn't have CTE or mental problems. He's just an entitled jerk. He is this now and he always was before. It's quite remarkable that the Steelers were able to wrangle him for as long as they did.

I think the root of his issues are money. I see him as a guy that's struggling financially, which is part of why he started this whole mess last winter in Pittsburgh. I think he's broke and he'll do anything to get his "guarantees." I don't know about anybody else, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who saves.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Furthermore, most victims of rape do not go to the police for a variety of reasons we don't need to delve into here. And if she was a gold digger, she'd be seeking a lot more than the $75,000 that was reported. Gold diggers ask for millions. It could be that with all of the publicity it's wearing on her and she needs some closure. Rape is a much a psychological crime as it is a physical one.

All that said, the two of them will really be the only ones to know the truth. I read that there are some damning text messages though, which is why Brown's defense attorney has acknowledged that sex did happen.
              I thought that was interesting considering as well that in 99% of these the accused never admits or concedes that they had sex.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That's the scary part about the world we live in. I believe in our judicial system. I'm not one to jump to conclusions. If a story continually changes, there's no evidence, and the accuser refuses to take a rape test or make a statement on a polygraph, then there's a good chance that they might not be acting totally honest. Much of that was true with the Ben Roethlisberger accusation years back. You can't ruin another human's name on an accusation where there is no evidence of anything illegal occurring. People want to convict others on the grounds of he said/she said. That a DANGEROUS way to run a judicial system.

Now in the case of Brown, I agree with you. He considers himself above any rules or authority. I could totally see him doing what he's accused of. The alleged emails/texts from him to her also are pretty interesting.
                According to her attorney, the Ms Taylor has taken and passed a polygraph showing that the event's she alleges, including the 2018 rape, occurred as she described.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I agree with what you are saying. But I would point out that being the victim of rape and a gold digger is not necessarily mutually exclusive. Not that I think she is a gold digger given what I know right now (admittedly, very little). Just saying that in general it is possible to be both...just as it is possible to be a great football player and a rapist!

Comment

According to her attorney, the Ms Taylor has taken and passed a polygraph showing that the event's she alleges, including the 2018 rape, occurred as she described.
                    I have not seen that. I really only saw the initial release of the lawsuit, the texts/emails, and Brown's statement from his attorney.

Comment

It's interesting that a guy from Florida who was that talented couldn't find a home at any Florida school or any school in the south for that matter. It's also interesting that he fell to the 6th round due to scouts' concerns about his character. It's interesting to think about both of those items separately and now realize what he is now.

The chickens always come home to roost. Antonio Brown doesn't have CTE or mental problems. He's just an entitled jerk. He is this now and he always was before. It's quite remarkable that the Steelers were able to wrangle him for as long as they did.

I think the root of his issues are money. I see him as a guy that's struggling financially, which is part of why he started this whole mess last winter in Pittsburgh. I think he's broke and he'll do anything to get his "guarantees." I don't know about anybody else, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who saves.

Comment

The media, specifically those who are ex-players, made this whole thing a race issue a long time ago.

The picture they painted was that Ben Roethlisberger was a privileged, white quarterback who didn't treat players, specifically black players, fairly. They felt it was AB that made Roethlisberger, not the other way around. Therefore, Ben should not be paid higher than the guy he's throwing it too.

They painted a picture where Steelers' management was racist. Citing Kevin Colbert's "Ben and 52 kids" comment that was grossly taken out of context. They went back to Le'veon Bell's 60 minutes style interview where he claimed that the Steelers wouldn't let him be his own person, which, if you listened to the interview, was largely a comment rooted in saying that the Steelers treated black and white players differently. Bell suggested, "why does the quarterback have a talk show, but I can't be a rapper?"

I'm glad all of these guys have been proven to be clowns now. There were very few ex-players that defended the Steelers. Clark was one. So was Louis Riddick. Shannon Sharpe can back pedal all he wants about Antonio Brown. He can say he's an idiot now all he wants, but he still won't retract what he said months ago, which is that Brown was treated unfairly by the Steelers and that they favor a white quarterback who is not a team player.

Comment

People gripe about NFL contracts saying that players have every right to renegotiate them before they have run their course and rationalize this by saying that the team can cut the player at any point. But how is that different than the work situation of many (most) Americans work under right now? If my employer is not happy with my performance, OR if he finds someone who he believes can do my job better than I can, he has the right to fire me tomorrow.
                          You also have the option in the working world to put in a 2 week resignation and seek other employment unlike athletes. I would agree more with you if the contracts were guaranteed like the NBA and MLB. Those 10 practice squad players also don't make the $495k a year they're making $130k a year before paying taxes, agent fees, housing cost in the city where they play at while still living pay check to pay check like most Americans because they're on a week to week contract.

Comment

That's the scary part about the world we live in. I believe in our judicial system. I'm not one to jump to conclusions. If a story continually changes, there's no evidence, and the accuser refuses to take a rape test or make a statement on a polygraph, then there's a good chance that they might not be acting totally honest. Much of that was true with the Ben Roethlisberger accusation years back. You can't ruin another human's name on an accusation where there is no evidence of anything illegal occurring. People want to convict others on the grounds of he said/she said. That a DANGEROUS way to run a judicial system.

Now in the case of Brown, I agree with you. He considers himself above any rules or authority. I could totally see him doing what he's accused of. The alleged emails/texts from him to her also are pretty interesting.
                            Its pretty common for victims to avoid going to the police for many reasons - including feeling afraid of retaliation or guilty that they are somehow to blame. There are also a lot of crappy experiences from police toward victims. Its improving but I have had several victims tell me that when they finally did go to the police they felt like they were being talked out of it due to an assumed lack of evidence. A rape kit (genital inspection) can only be done if the victim didn't clean themselves. BUT sometimes victims also don't realize they were a victim until later. This is often the case for young victims who don't understand the full range of sexual misconduct.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Its pretty common for victims to avoid going to the police for many reasons - including feeling afraid of retaliation or guilty that they are somehow to blame. There are also a lot of crappy experiences from police toward victims. Its improving but I have had several victims tell me that when they finally did go to the police they felt like they were being talked out of it due to an assumed lack of evidence. A rape kit (genital inspection) can only be done if the victim didn't clean themselves. BUT sometimes victims also don't realize they were a victim until later. This is often the case for young victims who don't understand the full range of sexual misconduct.
                              I think you're ignoring my point. I understand all of the things you said. What I'm saying is that people tend to assume guilt immediately in sexual assault or rape allegations where there is zero proof that the accused is guilty.

That's a scary world to live in. Would you want somebody to ruin your life or career simply because they said that you did something to them? I know that there's people that want that type of mob rule. I'm for convicting rapists, but I'm also for due process and the premise of innocent until proven guilty.

Comment

I think you're ignoring my point. I understand all of the things you said. What I'm saying is that people tend to assume guilt immediately in sexual assault or rape allegations where there is zero proof that the accused is guilty.

That's a scary world to live in. Would you want somebody to ruin your life or career simply because they said that you did something to them? I know that there's people that want that type of mob rule. I'm for convicting rapists, but I'm also for due process and the premise of innocent until proven guilty.
                                I guess it comes down to what is more likely: this woman puts herself out there to get some form of justice or she puts herself out there for attention. I have a hard time believing that someone would put their identity out for national attention.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X