Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I guess it comes down to what is more likely: this woman puts herself out there to get some form of justice or she puts herself out there for attention. I have a hard time believing that someone would put their identity out for national attention.
    Let me ask you one question... Do you believe that it is fair or acceptable justice to find guilt in all of those who are accused prior to them having a fair trial where evidence is displayed and all sides of the story are properly presented?

No academic policy answers. It's a yes or no question.

I think Brown is an absolute POS. But I won't call him a rapist until he's found guilty in a court of law. The two worst things you can accuse somebody of being in this world are racist and a rapist. And we throw both of those terms around in accusations far too frequently and comfortably for my liking. In my opinion, false accusations only hurt those who are actual victims.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Let me ask you one question... Do you believe that it is fair or acceptable justice to find guilt in all of those who are accused prior to them having a fair trial where evidence is displayed and all sides of the story are properly presented?

No academic policy answers. It's a yes or no question.

I think Brown is an absolute POS. But I won't call him a rapist until he's found guilty in a court of law. The two worst things you can accuse somebody of being in this world are racist and a rapist. And we throw both of those terms around in accusations far too frequently and comfortably for my liking. In my opinion, false accusations only hurt those who are actual victims.
      I don't believe its fair to automatically assume that he did it or call him a rapist. But a criminal rape trial can't happen in most states without the victim having a medical examination of her genitals. That's why the court system allows for civil actions, which is what is happening in this case. So we'll never be able to know if he committed a crime - but the civil case can decide if he's responsible for her trauma. I'm not calling him a rapist but I think a lot of people are drawing conclusions based on his character resume.

And yes, I do believe Ben Roethlisberger should have been charged with sexual assault. I read that entire police report and believe he took advantage of someone too intoxicated to provide consent. Most people don't understand that - so its also possible to think that he didn't know that when he made his decision. I know a few people who have regular contact with him through business and attending the same church to believe that he changed (his wife being the variable).
      Last edited by Fightingscot82; 09-11-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post

You also have the option in the working world to put in a 2 week resignation and seek other employment unlike athletes. I would agree more with you if the contracts were guaranteed like the NBA and MLB. Those 10 practice squad players also don't make the $495k a year they're making $130k a year before paying taxes, agent fees, housing cost in the city where they play at while still living pay check to pay check like most Americans because they're on a week to week contract.
        Athletes do have the right to seek other employment at the end of their contract or when they are released. There are non athletes that work on individual contracts in the civilian world as well...many (most?) that work for a company on contract have non-compete clauses in their contracts that says that for a certain number of years, they are not permitted to take a job with a direct competitor or in a particular geographic area.

Players seem to be more than willing to take the good of a contract (typically a big signing bonus and a largely assured yearly income) but feel no remorse at all about not reporting and demanding a new contract (and typically another big signing bonus) when ever they think they deserve more. In Brown's case, he was more than happy to sign a $68M contract with the Steelers that included a $19M signing bonus and an annual salary of $18.5M in Feb 2017 that made him the highest paid WR in football...By August he was "disgruntled," missing practice and leaving the team. Steelers give into his demands and trade him to the Raiders. In Mar 2019 he signs a three year deal with the Raiders that included an annual salary of $14M with $30M of it guaranteed money. 5 months later the Raiders have had enough of him and release him. Brown is just SOOOO very happy to be FREEEEEEE!!! September he signs a one year contract with the Patriots for a $4.5M signing bonus and $1M salary. Given his past performance, what is the over under before he feels "disrespected" by the Patriots???

Comment

I don't believe its fair to automatically assume that he did it or call him a rapist. But a criminal rape trial can't happen in most states without the victim having a medical examination of her genitals. That's why the court system allows for civil actions, which is what is happening in this case. So we'll never be able to know if he committed a crime - but the civil case can decide if he's responsible for her trauma. I'm not calling him a rapist but I think a lot of people are drawing conclusions based on his character resume.

And yes, I do believe Ben Roethlisberger should have been charged with sexual assault. I read that entire police report and believe he took advantage of someone too intoxicated to provide consent. Most people don't understand that - so its also possible to think that he didn't know that when he made his decision. I know a few people who have regular contact with him through business and attending the same church to believe that he changed (his wife being the variable).
          I believe he changed. For the same reason. His wife.

Overall, I feel as though we live in a world where social justice and mob rule prevails too frequently in the court of public opinion. We can agree to disagree. I'm simply not for asserting guilt if there isn't evidence to create that verdict. I understand what you are saying in regards to a civil court case. But I think that's a different discussion.

Comment

I guess it comes down to what is more likely: this woman puts herself out there to get some form of justice or she puts herself out there for attention. I have a hard time believing that someone would put their identity out for national attention.

'What is more likely' is totally irrelevant in court.

So the big question becomes what's the point of all this then? Suing AB for $75,000 is like you asking me for $5. It will never see a courtroom. He'll settle it in a private settlement -- not as an admission of guilt but just to make it go away.

She either hired the dumbest lawyer in the country to file this suit or is perhaps a scorn lover. This isn't going to be an easy case for her team to win, either, should it actually make it to court. Half-English text rants don't constitute guilt. Idiocy, yes.

As usual in these cases, this is a he-said, she-said proposition. He could certainly assemble a very powerful legal team if need be ... however, for all she is asking ... he's just going to write a check and make it go away.

Maybe he did do it ... but she best be able to prove he did it. Not going to the police isn't a great first step in proving it. Don't forget numerous players -- such as Yinzer Royalty Jerome Bettis -- have been falsely accused of such accusations. The Bus was lovable. Nobody thought is was even possible he could have done such a thing. AB is a horses ass, so, ...

Comment

Well that didn't last long.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...s/201909200137

Comment

AB=CTE. Get him some help before he hurts himself or somebody else. This just isn't even remotely funny any longer.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
                  AB=CTE. Get him some help before he hurts himself or somebody else. This just isn't even remotely funny any longer.

-

Comment

Well I'm glad that you brought up the name of Drew Rosenhaus in all of this. He has been nothing short of a complete creep of a jerk who has enabled AB in all of this (although I am not sure why since they both must have lost a ton of money). I saw that NIKE just dropped AB the other day. Maybe Rosenhaus should have had the guy hospitalized instead of merely looking for the next big deal.

I see that Steelers S Sean Davis retains Rosenhaus as his agent. I knew the Steelers would never re-up Davis for that reason alone. Plus, Davis is a complete azz to be honest. No small wonder they traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick. It probably makes good sense now. Get a top 11 NFL draft talent with a year experience and with four years remaining on his rookie deal. They were probably going to have to draft a S anyhow with an early pick after Davis left town after the season. So it does make sense all the way.

-

Comment

His money will soon be gone. At that point his inner-circle of worshippers will have no need for him. He may be working at Giant Eagle soon.

Comment

-

Comment

Business ain't boomin' now

Comment

Well I'm glad that you brought up the name of Drew Rosenhaus in all of this. He has been nothing short of a complete creep of a jerk who has enabled AB in all of this (although I am not sure why since they both must have lost a ton of money). I saw that NIKE just dropped AB the other day. Maybe Rosenhaus should have had the guy hospitalized instead of merely looking for the next big deal.

I see that Steelers S Sean Davis retains Rosenhaus as his agent. I knew the Steelers would never re-up Davis for that reason alone. Plus, Davis is a complete azz to be honest. No small wonder they traded for Minkah Fitzpatrick. It probably makes good sense now. Get a top 11 NFL draft talent with a year experience and with four years remaining on his rookie deal. They were probably going to have to draft a S anyhow with an early pick after Davis left town after the season. So it does make sense all the way.

-

Comment

Maybe D2 football needs a rant board for this sort of thing. AB is a football player, but his saga has little to do with the PSAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
                                Maybe D2 football needs a rant board for this sort of thing. AB is a football player, but his saga has little to do with the PSAC.
                                This is clearly marked an off topic thread

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X