Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Seems like they may be in a pxxxxxx contest with WCU who have 23 sports. Oddly PSAC West seems content to stay in the 15-19 range.
    WCU has twice as many students. One of WCU sports is cheerleading, but they don't have a schedule of competitions, so maybe they only cheer at games. Take away cheerleading, and they are extensionally equal.

Comment

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Seems like they may be in a pxxxxxx contest with WCU who have 23 sports. Oddly PSAC West seems content to stay in the 15-19 range.
      It's almost entirely about Title IX at Bloom. Before they added women's volleyball and now women's golf they had 10 men's and 10 women's sports. Of course, that included football with 80+ participants and also Division I Men's Wrestling. Title IX was really out of whack at Bloom so they are trying to reconcile that. It has to have had an impact on the men's sports.

Will women's wrestling be next, Bart and Blue Jay? I guess they will wait to see how it takes off at Lock Haven and elsewhere but they will be behind competitively when and if they do add it.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

It's almost entirely about Title IX at Bloom. Before they added women's volleyball and now women's golf they had 10 men's and 10 women's sports. Of course, that included football with 80+ participants and also Division I Men's Wrestling. Title IX was really out of whack at Bloom so they are trying to reconcile that. It has to have had an impact on the men's sports.

Will women's wrestling be next, Bart and Blue Jay? I guess they will wait to see how it takes off at Lock Haven and elsewhere but they will be behind competitively when and if they do add it.
        Is Title IX about numbers or sports offered? Golf is a cheap way to go, but it can't add many to the female side. Rugby would be the way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
          Enrollment driver. Women's golf can get them 10-20 students with little to no scholarships.
          No more than 10 unless they're just filling spots for Title IX compliance. When CAL U was dominant in golf they had 10 on the roster but only 5 played on a regular basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

Is Title IX about numbers or sports offered? Golf is a cheap way to go, but it can't add many to the female side. Rugby would be the way to go.
            It's about "opportunities." Opportunities isn't clear cut. Title IX is no more clear cut than the latest lawsuit.

Opportunities, you would think, is about the number of slots accorded to men and women relative to enrollment.

Women's sports has always been "activist" (they would take offense to that word and have) at Lock Haven. I have argued online with Pat Rudy, LHU's DI FH coach extensively in the past about this. Not that I'm any kind of expert or anything but I can read.

So, even though women's sports have made great strides over time that other women's programs would be envious of, Rudy threatened and pursued legal action at LHU because her D1 program did not have some of the advantages that the men's D1 program had (Wrestling). So, they were not talking about raw numbers. They were talking about quality of the facilities, travel issues, etc. A new take on it all.

Now, as you know, the wrestling program is privately funded by donors and FH is not. That's a significant thing.

Ultimately, the FH program did win improvements to their facilities and other things. They were forced (through an arbitrator) to do more fundraising of their own (negligible compared to men's wrestling fundraising). The real solution was found by initiating a women's wrestling program competing in the NCAA. Head wrestling coach Scott Moore said the women's wrestling program would enable them to do much more on the men's side.

In the end, FH did not win, IMO. They certainly tested the waters, pushed the envelope, whatever you want to call it. They were able to move the needle somewhat but in the end it's always based on legal interpretations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
              Enrollment driver. Women's golf can get them 10-20 students with little to no scholarships.
              I don't think so. There are over 1,000 more females than males at Bloom. Why not add men's golf?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Edinboro and Lock Haven have the same challenge.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                Working...
                X