Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal at IUP

It's time. Big stage. Big crowd.

This should be a real entertaining thread by Saturday night.

What do the esteemed experts of this board think are the keys for either team to to win?

We tend to only talk about what teams do well. What do IUP and Cal lack? Anything scare you for your team?

I think it's gonna be close for 3 quarters, but IUP ends up winning by 17. What worries me is still the running game and the young DB's. I'd like to see a game where they're popping off 6 yards a run, and they only have to throw < 15 times for the game. Win the time of possession game.

Comment

Have no idea where this is going. Big rivalry, critical can't lose game for VULCANS with basically the same team that won a very close game last year. QB MITCHELL has been off and on so far so no real confidence he will be up to it. Hoping but not really feeling it.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        Have no idea where this is going. Big rivalry, critical can't lose game for VULCANS with basically the same team that won a very close game last year. QB MITCHELL has been off and on so far so no real confidence he will be up to it. Hoping but not really feeling it.
        This will be #11 COAL BOWL with VULCANS holding 7-3 edge in first ten. Last six are even split home team wins. So IUP wins???

Comment

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
          I think it's gonna be close for 3 quarters, but IUP ends up winning by 17. What worries me is still the running game and the young DB's. I'd like to see a game where they're popping off 6 yards a run, and they only have to throw < 15 times for the game. Win the time of possession game.
          I think they can switch over to more of a run-dominant offense any time they want to but why do it when the passing game has been so successful. I think if the RB's were to get more repeated reps they will get some longer gains. Especially if McAllister is back and healthy (although his replacements - Robinson/Davis?) seem to be doing a fine job.

Comment

Comment

Should be a great game. I think because Cal has a loss there is a perception they are not as good. That's probably a wrong perception. Cal appeared to be on its way to victory against Kutztown until the 4th quarter when DiGalbo took charge of the game (which was very impressive).

The end of the Kutztown game was the only time I've seen Cal but looking over the body of work for both teams it's pretty close. I give IUP a slight advantage. I also think the home advantage is real in this series.

It will be interesting to watch McPhatter. Maxwell has thrown some risky passes (in the first game, actually) and from what I've seen McPhatter sniffs out those opportunities and comes up with the INT and is positioned for a run after the catch.

Looking forward to this game.

Comment

In following football at all levels, this has always been one of the more interesting annual series' for me to evaluate. There's always something that happens that's odd that seems to impact the game. Regardless of who is ever the better team, Cal and IUP seem to just be one of those examples of two teams that match up well against one another. It would be a tough game to pick if the home team didn't win almost every time. That eventually ends though.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think they can switch over to more of a run-dominant offense any time they want to but why do it when the passing game has been so successful. I think if the RB's were to get more repeated reps they will get some longer gains. Especially if McAllister is back and healthy (although his replacements - Robinson/Davis?) seem to be doing a fine job.

This is the first IUP team in forever that can really sling the ball. They are throwing a ton. Hard to blame them with all the weapons on the outside, a massive line, a big-arm QB and now two stud TEs. It used to be IUP passed to keep teams honest. Now, it seems they run to keep teams honest. As you saw last week, if you start cheating the pass Justice or Samir can give a house call.

I don't envy defensive coordinators trying to plan for them. It wouldn't be easy. But, they have that element of surprise in their pocket now, too, with three tough backs.

IUP is going to score on anybody this year. My main concerns are on the other side of the ball. Cal, California or Cal U (haven't checked to see what they are going by yet today) will be the D's biggest test this year -- by far. Mercyhurst had some success in the first half with basically one guy. Cal can hit you from all over -- run and pass. The Boy Wonder at QB gets all the press on here but Nelson Brown is a heck of a RB. IUP's OL is massive and mean, and has played very well so far. They'll get a huge test Saturday against all of Cal's blitzes and packages.

Kutztown was able to really put a beating on the QB -- three sacks, three picks and a ton of hits. Last year IUP barely laid a hand on him. That has to change. That said, IUP's significantly better up front on D this year.

Lot of interesting match-ups in this one.

Comment

Getting down to players besides MCPHATTER, keep an eye on #6 JULIAN COX and #16 ISRAEL XAVIER at LB. Though I clearly thought last week at BORO was awful, that had mostly to do with the O. These two are only playing their 5th game together and last week they seemed to be making it work. Anything they can do to hurry a less than cautious passer could certainly help the VULCANS add to their total of 4 defensive TDs YTD.

Comment

This game can go either way. Throw the records out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
                        This game can go either way. Throw the records out the window.
                        Yep. And your legacy at either school gets defined by how you play in these games.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Comment

Man there must be a big fire somewhere nearby, because the smoke is really blowing around !!!

Comment

I have to agree with you on the running game:

2015 - 295 YPG
                              2016 - 280 YPG
                              2017 - 256 YPG
                              2018 - 186 YPG
                              2019 - 173 YPG

A huge drop off starting last year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...