Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Rock strong team, probably best they ever had. I hope they are reading all the hoopla and press clippings, usually comes back to bite u almost everytime. Regional implications for sure on Saturday. I believe by far the 2 best teams in the region. Yes I know Notre Dame the current flavor of the month but I have watched ND twice and they are very beatable. In addition there soft schedule will come back to haunt them both regional poll wise and physically on the field. Very 1 dimensional if there RB gets dinged up they are in Trouble....just sayin
    I agree regarding ND.

Comment

Agree with Sweeting being one of the better transfers. Snorweah played much better last week and I envision different ways he might see the ball. It's tough when every team they face they try to stop the run and just let the pass go, Mercyhurst got away from that a little bit and the Rock ran for 200 and still put up 40+. I expect IUP to force the run as well. ND game Wes Hills barely ran the ball in the 2nd half last year, that was gut wrenching. Rock isnt buying into the hoopla, they remember the shoe being on the other foot last year. PSAC is tough.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post

Don't be that guy.. just enjoy the games and the results. There's clearly nothing wrong with securing transfers if you can get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad3 Boss View Post

Mercyhurst had a good scheme limiting the QB to 206 pass yards and 2 INT but he still had 5 TDS.

That uear in 2022 was absolutely no threat in the run game.
          102 attempts 224 yards 2 Tds for his 2012 campaign.

Roland has already doubled that
          Rivers tucks and runs alot quicker than Zulli did. He's such a great athlete, the reason he is D2 must be because of his decision making. I think IUP D will take more risks than Hurst. more blitzes, from DBs , more confusing schemes. things like dropping the DE to cover the bubble screens, More aggressive than hurst, looking for big plays. Will they be good enough to carry it off, or is Rivers good enough to pick up what's going on. we'll see.

IUP is definitely the underdog in the matchup - that hasn't happened to the guys on this team for a while, will be interesting to see how they react.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Rivers tucks and runs alot quicker than Zulli did. He's such a great athlete, the reason he is D2 must be because of his decision making. I think IUP D will take more risks than Hurst. more blitzes, from DBs , more confusing schemes. things like dropping the DE to cover the bubble screens, More aggressive than hurst, looking for big plays. Will they be good enough to carry it off, or is Rivers good enough to pick up what's going on. we'll see.

IUP is definitely the underdog in the matchup - that hasn't happened to the guys on this team for a while, will be interesting to see how they react.
            It will also be interesting to how Slippery Rock responds to be a clear favorite in this game. You have to consider that this is the first time they have played a team this year that's as skilled as IUP is. There's a difference between being the hunter and the hunted. Remember that IUP looked fine until this week last year when they lost to SRU at home. They beat a really good Ashland team and were in position to win that Cal game until some things went array.

I thought Coach Tort's point in his weekly show was important to consider. The last two years this game has helped springboard the winner's season.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post

Don't be that guy.. just enjoy the games and the results. There's clearly nothing wrong with securing transfers if you can get them.
              I think his point is that Slippery Rock talked down about programs like IUP and Cal securing transfers for years, and now here we are. Toward the end of Mihalik's tenure, he needed to do what was necessary to win. So he brought it in the guys who he never intended on bringing in. Transfers are a part of recruiting now at all levels. The moral compass, if you're into that thing when it comes to sports, goes out the window really quick once you realize that you won't win if you fail to bring a few bandits or mercenaries into your program.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I think his point is that Slippery Rock talked down about programs like IUP and Cal securing transfers for years, and now here we are. Toward the end of Mihalik's tenure, he needed to do what was necessary to win. So he brought it in the guys who he never intended on bringing in. Transfers are a part of recruiting now at all levels. The moral compass, if you're into that thing when it comes to sports, goes out the window really quick once you realize that you won't win if you fail to bring a few bandits or mercenaries into your program.
                If you aren't in the transfer game in D2 ... you aren't winning much. Look around. Regionally and nationally. Check out the rosters of the truly elite D2 football (and basketball) programs. They are littered with transfers.

That said, there's also this perception that all transfers have 'baggage' or are 'mercenaries', etc. That simply is not the case for the vast majority of them. Most come to D2 after realizing they could stand on the sidelines in D1 or they can find a home where they can actually play -- and play a large role.

Also, comparing the era's of transfers is about impossible. In the Frank years ... yeah ... it was a different time. Grad transfers didn't exist. And, back then, D2 schools took on a lot more risk with questionable imports. Many in those days did have baggage. Not all, but many. IUP, in fact, turned away several transfers this off-season due to academics. They ended up at other PSAC schools.

Today, like it or not, transferring is just the norm. Look up the stats of how many transfer in D1 and D2. It's shocking. `

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

If you aren't in the transfer game in D2 ... you aren't winning much. Look around. Regionally and nationally. Check out the rosters of the truly elite D2 football (and basketball) programs. They are littered with transfers.

That said, there's also this perception that all transfers have 'baggage' or are 'mercenaries', etc. That simply is not the case for the vast majority of them. Most come to D2 after realizing they could stand on the sidelines in D1 or they can find a home where they can actually play -- and play a large role.

Also, comparing the era's of transfers is about impossible. In the Frank years ... yeah ... it was a different time. Grad transfers didn't exist. And, back then, D2 schools took on a lot more risk with questionable imports. Many in those days did have baggage. Not all, but many. IUP, in fact, turned away several transfers this off-season due to academics. They ended up at other PSAC schools.

Today, like it or not, transferring is just the norm. Look up the stats of how many transfer in D1 and D2. It's shocking. `
                  Hmmmm... transfers...CAL U...do I really want to stick my head out ?? Well, VULCANS still are recruiting and using transfers, but they seem to be quality players and more or less average students. Three, MCPHATTER, COX and XAVIER are first team defensive leaders. Two, DALE and COUSIN are significant second team offensive players. Those are the ones that spring to mind so I'd say DUNN has continued the tradition of picking up talent where he can, but staying within the bounds set by the administration. Only time will tell if he can get the team back to the success of the LUCKHARDT/KELLAR era while still playing it safe.

Comment

Transfers are the way of the world now. I think the SRU-IUP game should be a barn burner. I agree with Coach Tort's assessment of this game. Losing this game is not the end of the season for either one of these schools. Obviously, the victor has an inside track to a top regional seed.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPBand8588 View Post
                      Transfers are the way of the world now. I think the SRU-IUP game should be a barn burner. I agree with Coach Tort's assessment of this game. Losing this game is not the end of the season for either one of these schools. Obviously, the victor has an inside track to a top regional seed.
                      The winner (likely) also gets to play in the State Game while the loser gets a lesser game.

Logic would probably say the winner will get to host at least one playoff game.

SRU still has a tough Cal team in a month, too.

I can easily see these two running in to one another again (like 1999).

Little history for the younger crowd: SRU blew out IUP in Indiana on Homecoming in 1999. IUP then won at SRU about a month later in the playoffs.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 10-09-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPBand8588 View Post
                        Absolutely expect both of these team to be in the playoffs. My guess is the #1 seed will either be the PSAC champion or NDC followed by 2-4 other PSAC teams and 1-3 from NE10, GMAC and MEC. I feel it's entirely possible that either the GMAC or NE10 could be shut out or moved to a different SR per the new rules. GMAC is pretty close to the Midwest.

Comment

I was there in 1999, when we won at the rock. I loved it. Go Indians

Comment

If you looking to take the bus up from IUP to SR for the game, don't:

https://twitter.com/IUPfootball/stat...36248967483392

That's pretty sad. Not that it's far away, but not every student drives. Not to mention a bus of semi-full students can do a lot to lift a visiting team.

Comment

Originally posted by Number83 View Post
                              If you looking to take the bus up from IUP to SR for the game, don't:

https://twitter.com/IUPfootball/stat...36248967483392

That's pretty sad. Not that it's far away, but not every student drives. Not to mention a bus of semi-full students can do a lot to lift a visiting team.
                              Awful

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post
                                I was there in 1999, when we won at the rock. I loved it. Go Indians
                                #Rock-Dance

Lol ... memories

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X