Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
    Ok guys, need some help with some of the historical references from the conference for Shepherd fans. I have been trying to use my deductive listening skills and apologies up front for asking inane questions but would appreciate some help with the meaning of life and:

Gannon- Thug Nation. See this often so I can infer but some specific reference?

Seton Hill - Lt Air Force? Have not looked at their website so answer is likely obvious

IUP - Ghostbuster reference? Think I have this one. The band? Not Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm

SRU - reference to Dr. Evil and Mini-me? Work with a friend from SRU and he doesnt know but we are old

WCU - see quite a few references to Walk Ons so thinking there is a story there

Millersville - reference to some VooDoo lady...Mrs. Taylor?

just some general info.....
    Gannon has a team full of guys that commit a lot of unsportsmanlike penalties and in recent years they've had a few brawls postgame with other teams. IUPnation i believe dubbed them Thug nation after one with IUP (most of the nicknames are from the IUP Faithful).

SRU- Dr Evil is their version of Monte Cater. Dr. George Mihalik (sp?) was there for a long time and help get the program to where it is now. "Mini-me" i believe in reference to the new coach there as his disciple.

WCU and the walk on's reference is in regards to their low scholarship count, yet consistent program success in the conference landscape. Walk On's being a sarcastic term of course as most believe there can't be a way they continue to attract great talent without giving the players "something."

The other ones I'm not 100% on so I'll let the rest hop on for reference.

Comment

Someone asked how the alumni like the name change for IUP. I hate it. I graduated from IUP, and refuse to call them anything but Indians, I mean the town is called Indiana. What more do they need. Next, the pc police will make us change the name of the town. Screw them.

Comment

Honestly, Crimson Hawks is kind of a cool nickname, way more unique than a generic "Indians". Especially when the town's name itself is Indiana. Whether the cause behind the change is justified or not is open to questioning, but I think the nickname is an upgrade, all things considered.

EDIT: Similarly, I have no issues with ESU changing its imagery from being Indian-style warriors to more of a Greco-Roman-style warrior. It's a generic nickname, but they did something interesting with it.

Comment

I think WCU gets "walk-ons" because a fan of theirs lamented lack of scholarships vis-a-vis the Western schools. Seton Hill is the Stewies, because their actual nickname is Griffins. Gannon is BOTH Thug U and Liuetenant Air Force (my contribution)

Comment

The reference for Millersville must be mistaken; it probably is for Lock Haven. I heard Millersville called the Ville back in the seventies because they acted like villains and would run up scores.

Comment

Ok guys, need some help with some of the historical references from the conference for Shepherd fans. I have been trying to use my deductive listening skills and apologies up front for asking inane questions but would appreciate some help with the meaning of life and:

Gannon- Thug Nation. See this often so I can infer but some specific reference?

Seton Hill - Lt Air Force? Have not looked at their website so answer is likely obvious

IUP - Ghostbuster reference? Think I have this one. The band? Not Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm

SRU - reference to Dr. Evil and Mini-me? Work with a friend from SRU and he doesnt know but we are old

WCU - see quite a few references to Walk Ons so thinking there is a story there

Millersville - reference to some VooDoo lady...Mrs. Taylor?

just some general info.....

Comment

How did the name change go over with the IUP fans?
                It ****ing sucks. We were blackmailed by the NCAA.

Comment

Originally posted by CC_BU View Post

Didn't IUPNation coin most of these?
                  Absolutely I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

IUP should have known better than to hire a guy who resembles Lando Calrissian! IUP was the last holdout among the PSAC on nicknames. Ship and ESU made a simple pivot on their imagery because Raiders and Warriors are easy to revise. Edinboro was also the Red Raiders then in the late 50s/early 60s transitioned to Scottish everything. I remember Cherokee being such a big deal - it really was intimidating. Back then the IUP band was also a force. They would show up at an away game and blow the home band out of the stands. I remember once that they were playing so loud you couldn't hear the PA announcer on the home side for Edinboro. Then at halftime they came out playing No Leaf Clover by Metallica. It was really great.

Comment

That's another reference....what is the Oak Grove?
                      Center of IUP campus. Has oak trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                        The reference for Millersville must be mistaken; it probably is for Lock Haven. I heard Millersville called the Ville back in the seventies because they acted like villains and would run up scores.
                        The end ones on their Field of Tears has Ville painted on it in different fonts.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Absolutely! Other schools got to keep their nicknames. The aforementioned Florida State Seminoles and monikers such as the Utah Utes and Central Michigan Chippewas are all named after Native Americans. What these schools had going for them was that they were named for a specific tribe and of course the tribes overwhelmingly gave their approval for these schools to retain use of the name. It was a fantastic honor for the tribes to be mentioned like that. Nobody ever attempted to demean the American Indians with these names. In fact, the opposite was true.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

Absolutely! Other schools got to keep their nicknames. The aforementioned Florida State Seminoles and monikers such as the Utah Utes and Central Michigan Chippewas are all named after Native Americans. What these schools had going for them was that they were named for a specific tribe and of course the tribes overwhelmingly gave their approval for these schools to retain use of the name. It was a fantastic honor for the tribes to be mentioned like that. Nobody ever attempted to demean the American Indians with these names. In fact, the opposite was true.

-
                            Fantastic Honor ? Naw, it was a bucketfull of cash and scholarships for the tribe members.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

-
                              I think they found sympathy in the NCAA - but all it did was expose the worse culprits: pro teams and high schools. There are some really bad high school characters out there!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I think for all the schools it sucked, including IUP. However, the biggest tragedy over the name change had to be North Dakota. They had the old nickname the Fighting Sioux, and were forced to change. It was VERY controversial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...ux_controversy

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X