Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSAC History

Ok guys, need some help with some of the historical references from the conference for Shepherd fans. I have been trying to use my deductive listening skills and apologies up front for asking inane questions but would appreciate some help with the meaning of life and:

Gannon- Thug Nation. See this often so I can infer but some specific reference?

Seton Hill - Lt Air Force? Have not looked at their website so answer is likely obvious

IUP - Ghostbuster reference? Think I have this one. The band? Not Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm

SRU - reference to Dr. Evil and Mini-me? Work with a friend from SRU and he doesnt know but we are old

WCU - see quite a few references to Walk Ons so thinking there is a story there

Millersville - reference to some VooDoo lady...Mrs. Taylor?

just some general info.....

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
    Ok guys, need some help with some of the historical references from the conference for Shepherd fans. I have been trying to use my deductive listening skills and apologies up front for asking inane questions but would appreciate some help with the meaning of life and:

Seton Hill - Lt Air Force? Have not looked at their website so answer is likely obvious

IUP - Ghostbuster reference? Think I have this one. The band? Not Robbie Robertson and Levon Helm

SRU - reference to Dr. Evil and Mini-me? Work with a friend from SRU and he doesnt know but we are old

This discussion should be fantastic.

I'll at least answer for IUP.

IUP once upon a time had a fantastic marching band with a great fight song (Cherokee). When IUP switched from the Big Indians to the Crimson Hawks (think PC police) ... the fight song also left town. The current band director allegedly despises football. The new fight song is horrendous. And, of course, the band plays the Ghostbusters theme song about 5-7 times per game.

Of further note, the band also played XMAS songs during the Cal game. No joke.

Comment

Awesome! Thank you

Comment

So about what year/decade was the name change to Crimson Hawks?

Comment

Didn't IUPNation coin most of these?
          GO HUSKIES!

Comment

So about what year/decade was the name change to Crimson Hawks?
            From memory it was around 2004-ish ?

Comment

How did the name change go over with the IUP fans?

Comment

I graduated IUP in the spring of 06 and think they made the change in around 06-07. I think there was a bit of time between the name change and the Mascot debut. I do remember that the mascot "Norm" was unnamed for a time. The knuckle head group I hung out with at Football games which a mix of upper class-men and recent grads called him Tom da Hawk until he got a name. The change among my circle was not well received, the fact that the president of the University who pushed the change was not well liked by Faculty, Almuni, Greeks, Students pretty much everyone didn't help the situation. Alot of that anger has dissipated over time thanks to the combination of time, basketball success and new leadership at the top.

Comment

The change was mandated by the NCAA. It didn't start internally. As I recall, there were over 30 schools affected by the ruling. IUP actually fought back to a certain extent based on the fact the school is located in "Indiana."

A big thing at the time was that FSU Seminoles could keep their nickname based on approval from the Seminole tribe.

I didn't have a problem with it since I'm a reasonably politically correct person. I think the Atlanta Braves and Washington Redskins should follow suit.

Comment

Originally posted by The P in IUP View Post
                    I graduated IUP in the spring of 06 and think they made the change in around 06-07. I think there was a bit of time between the name change and the Mascot debut. I do remember that the mascot "Norm" was unnamed for a time. The knuckle head group I hung out with at Football games which a mix of upper class-men and recent grads called him Tom da Hawk until he got a name. The change among my circle was not well received, the fact that the president of the University who pushed the change was not well liked by Faculty, Almuni, Greeks, Students pretty much everyone didn't help the situation. Alot of that anger has dissipated over time thanks to the combination of time, basketball success and new leadership at the top.
                    Don't forget Crimson Hawks with a Bear logo. That was hilarious.

My senior class at IUP actually voted for the Fightin' Squirrels or something like that (as a nod to the Oak Grove). Crimson Hawks obviously (thankfully) won out.

It gets me every year at the Homecoming Parade .... Indiana High's band always follows the IUP band down the street. They still play Cherokee. IUP used to have a real intimidating stadium entrance to that song with the drum beat, etc.

I personally like the current Hawk logo. They had the one early rendtion that looked like a red chicken (CTrabs74 still likes to call us that which is funny ... credit given).

Then-president Tony Atwater still gets blamed for a lot but he did hire Joe Lombardi so he got one thing right in a big way.

Comment

Ok....so that is where the "red chicken" reference comes from. Ha! I feel like i am in "PSAC History Class." Love it.....keep it coming guys

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Don't forget Crimson Hawks with a Bear logo. That was hilarious.

My senior class at IUP actually voted for the Fightin' Squirrels or something like that (as a nod to the Oak Grove). Crimson Hawks obviously (thankfully) won out.

It gets me every year at the Homecoming Parade .... Indiana High's band always follows the IUP band down the street. They still play Cherokee. IUP used to have a real intimidating stadium entrance to that song with the drum beat, etc.

I personally like the current Hawk logo. They had the one early rendtion that looked like a red chicken (CTrabs74 still likes to call us that which is funny ... credit given).

Then-president Tony Atwater still gets blamed for a lot but he did hire Joe Lombardi so he got one thing right in a big way.
                        IUP should have known better than to hire a guy who resembles Lando Calrissian! IUP was the last holdout among the PSAC on nicknames. Ship and ESU made a simple pivot on their imagery because Raiders and Warriors are easy to revise. Edinboro was also the Red Raiders then in the late 50s/early 60s transitioned to Scottish everything. I remember Cherokee being such a big deal - it really was intimidating. Back then the IUP band was also a force. They would show up at an away game and blow the home band out of the stands. I remember once that they were playing so loud you couldn't hear the PA announcer on the home side for Edinboro. Then at halftime they came out playing No Leaf Clover by Metallica. It was really great.

Comment

That's another reference....what is the Oak Grove?

Comment

That's another reference....what is the Oak Grove?
                            Link to Oak Grove webcam below. Looks like a rainy day in Indiana.

It's the open space between most of the academic buildings. Sort of the heart of the campus. Where the IUP Squirrels reside.

http://www.opentopia.com/webcam/11726

Comment

How did the name change go over with the IUP fans?
                              Not a fan of the change, especially considering the town's/university's name is arguably meant to honor Native Americans.

FWIW, my undergraduate alma mater (Juniata College, who plays in D3 in football) did the exact same thing, changing their school nickname from "Indians" to a bird of prey (Eagles in JC's case). Like IUP, Juniata's own name was based on a Native American word. Juniata College made their change when I was a student there, IIRC the spring of 1994.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X