Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General PSAC question - not football related

If you shoo me away from this topic I totally understand. I noticed that the Shepherd womens volleyball team is undefeated so far. Made we wonder about end of season tournament scheduling.

Does the PSAC have a regular host site for any/all tournaments like for basketball- volleyball-baseball etc?

Or is it based upon conference wins/schedule for the first couple of rounds and then a central location?

Is there an East-West championship game in each sport?

Getting ready to retire and wondering about checking some of these events out...

Originally posted by Rambaseball View Post
    If you shoo me away from this topic I totally understand. I noticed that the Shepherd womens volleyball team is undefeated so far. Made we wonder about end of season tournament scheduling.

Does the PSAC have a regular host site for any/all tournaments like for basketball- volleyball-baseball etc?

Or is it based upon conference wins/schedule for the first couple of rounds and then a central location?

Getting ready to retire and wondering about checking some of these events out...
    Basketball has the PSAC Tournament. The top so many make it from the East and West. The top East and West seed get a bye in Round 1. First and second round games are on campus. The Final Four is at the top remaining seed of the E or W (rotates yearly). Two games on Saturday and the final on Sunday. East hosts this year.

Due to the way they work the Final Four, many years you'll see a West vs West or East vs East final.

Volleyball ... no idea.

Comment

Check the Pee Sack website.

psacsports.org

Comment

Volleyball is split into four divisions; top team in each division plus four best records, regardless of division, qualify for the PSAC volleyball playoffs.
        Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Thanks for the info...much appreciated....baseball anyone? Since I am a baseball guy...

Comment

Thanks for the info...much appreciated....baseball anyone? Since I am a baseball guy...
            https://psacsports.org/sports/2018/11/26/champ1920.aspx
            Last edited by CALUPA69; 10-10-2019, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Seems like the PSAC ought to switch to three divisions for basketball scheduling, like the LSC is doing this year (also with 18 teams). Everyone would play five teams twice and 12 teams once each for a total of 22 games. Under the current system, it's eight teams twice, six teams once, and three teams not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                Seems like the PSAC ought to switch to three divisions for basketball scheduling, like the LSC is doing this year (also with 18 teams). Everyone would play five teams twice and 12 teams once each for a total of 22 games. Under the current system, it's eight teams twice, six teams once, and three teams not at all.
                Two entirely different states. Texas is massive and schools are spread all over and beyond. Pa is a neat 300 x 160 mile rectangle with a mountain range roughly in the middle. 9 schools to west, 9 schools to the east, approximately. Play each division team H & H and crossover with 6 of 9 from the other. Relatively short trips on Interstates that criss-cross the state. Just a guess but PSAC probably has some of the lower travel expenses in D2.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Two entirely different states. Texas is massive and schools are spread all over and beyond. Pa is a neat 300 x 160 mile rectangle with a mountain range roughly in the middle. 9 schools to west, 9 schools to the east, approximately. Play each division team H & H and crossover with 6 of 9 from the other. Relatively short trips on Interstates that criss-cross the state. Just a guess but PSAC probably has some of the lower travel expenses in D2.
                  You'd think such a geographically compact conference should be able to play a full round robin.

Comment

You'd think such a geographically compact conference should be able to play a full round robin.
                    Not with the amount of teams in the PSAC...With 18 members, it's the largest conference in the country, you know...That's a scheduling nightmare...
                    Last edited by WarriorVoice; 10-11-2019, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Not with the amount of teams in the PSAC...With 18 members, it's the largest conference in the country, you know...That's a scheduling nightmare...
                      True. A 34-game schedule would be tough.

Comment

Geographically, and culturally, Pennsylvania splits very nicely into East and West. With three divisions, there's at least one division that's an awkward mix of East and West and it just doesn't work as well unless absolutely necessary (i.e. for sports that have less than full participation). A full round robin would be at the expense of some of the regional rivalries that make each division great. I need my PSAC East basketball division of death!

Comment

I mean, both Lock Haven and Shippensburg used to be in the West, and Shepherd is new. Is it possible to take those three plus the nine West teams and split them into two divisions?

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

True. A 34-game schedule would be tough.
                            I'm not talking a double round robin. Start with 17 games and then play five teams twice...

Comment

I mean, both Lock Haven and Shippensburg used to be in the West, and Shepherd is new. Is it possible to take those three plus the nine West teams and split them into two divisions?
                              Alright so let's look at the sport in which the PSAC has three divisions: softball. It breaks down as such:

East: East Stroudsburg, Kutztown, Millersville, Shippensburg, West Chester (I assume Shepherd slots in here)
                              Central: Bloomsburg, Clarion, IUP, Lock Haven, Mansfield, UPJ
                              West: Cal, Edinboro, Gannon, Mercyhurst, Seton Hill, Slippery Rock

The East looks pretty good, the West is fine, but the Central is pretty awkward. Maybe it's just me, but IUP and Bloomsburg in the same division just feels strange. Not to mention you're separating IUP from most of its natural basketball rivals, and frankly, that division would be pretty bad overall. The East-West split has worked with relatively few problems for basketball, and it works well geographically, so I just don't see a compelling reason to change it just to make sure everyone plays each other every year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X