Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That is certainly most correct now. It actually wasn't always like that to be honest. I believe that in Roger's first season at the LV helm in 2004 they were something like 1-8. And there were quite a few fantastic LV-PM football games played over the years with PM actually getting the better of them a number of times.

But the time is certainly right for a parting. There is just no question about that. When you have conference teams unable to even field a team with a roster of 20 players the last several years you know that LV no longer fits the model of what area football is these days.

-

Their current model is what many other schools should try and replicate immediately. They have an incredible youth program. The high school coaches are involved. Tremendous community support.

He didn't build that up overnight but it's rocking and rolling right now. One class leaves and the next is ready. Roger is feeding a lot of players in to college programs -- D1 and D2.

Comment

I'm confused as to why the WPIAL even exists today. Can someone enlighten me??

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
        I'm confused as to why the WPIAL even exists today. Can someone enlighten me??
        The WPIAL is PIAA District 7. They've just retained the name they used prior to PIAA alignment.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The WPIAL is PIAA District 7. They've just retained the name they used prior to PIAA alignment.
          Thanks.

Comment

I think the focus on the WPIAL is a sports world manifestation of the insular nature of Western Pennsylvania in general. I really do.

It's like if you go outside of the boundaries of the WPIAL you will fall off the edge of the earth into a dragon lair.

It's like you have the WPIAL and then you have the less important part of the universe that lies beyond.

Edit: Kind of like previously mentioned "Highway to Heinz" is a fantastic yinzer journey to the center of the known universe.

BTW, I'm trying to make some new friends here on the forum. Any suggestions? :-)

:bulgy-eyes:
            Last edited by iupgroundhog; 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
              I think the focus on the WPIAL is a sports world manifestation of the insular nature of Western Pennsylvania in general. I really do.

It's like if you go outside of the boundaries of the WPIAL you will fall off the edge of the earth into a dragon lair.

It's like you have the WPIAL and then you have the less important part of the universe that lies beyond.
              That's what I'm learning...Do they REALLY re-align schools and conferences EVERY year?!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Ligonier Valley playing in the Heritage Conference was like Penn State playing in the PSAC.
                Ligonier stunk in sports until Laurel Valley joined them.

Comment

Edit: Kind of like previously mentioned "Highway to Heinz" is a fantastic yinzer journey to the center of the known universe.

BTW, I'm trying to make some new friends here on the forum. Any suggestions? :-)

Yeah, go throw yourself into an active volcano. LOL.

But nice way to throw all of western PA under the proverbial bus. Now, I'm off to have a pop down by the crick and try and figure out when the Stillers play next. Any of youns know?

-

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post

Laurel Valley was ALWAYS great in football. I think they had some guy named Jerry Page coaching them.

-

Comment

You sound like an IUP football fan.

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post

That is not completely true, their football team was pretty good in the early 80's. QB went to Dartmouth. WR/DB went to William & Mary.

FYI: I graduated from Laurel Valley>

Comment

Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

That is not completely true, their football team was pretty good in the early 80's. QB went to Dartmouth. WR/DB went to William & Mary.

FYI: I graduated from Laurel Valley>
                          I recall that IUP had a LB named Byron Whipkey who came out of Ligonier Valley. That was many moons ago. Whipkey was a pretty darn good athlete at LV.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X