Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gannon and Mercy on the way out...?

Rumors on the GMAC board state that Gannon and Mercyhurst are considering the GMAC.

After fighting for years to be in the PSAC, I find this hard to believe. However, if it does happen it wont be a major hit to the conference. Lock Haven or Ship can head back to the West, and we would have 2 pods of 7 teams that field football.

This topic comes up a couple times a year. Until we see anything else, I can't believe they've done more than kick the tires on their current options. They do save a ton on travel being in a conference division that is largely along I-79, I-80, and 422. Prior to coming to the PSAC their only option was the GLIAC: schools with a lot more in the resources and tradition departments while also unknown to most of their recruiting territory. Now with the MEC and GMAC they have new options that are predominantly private schools with more similar profiles.

Comment

I suppose since they both heavily recruit the state of Ohio they'd not lose many recruits going to the GMAC it wouldn't be too shocking to see them leave. However a change in conference won't do much for their FB programs making noise and getting into the playoffs as they still would lose out on the better recruits to Tifflin , Hillside & ODU. Those schools all have better football stadiums which plays a huge role in winning recruits over when the money is pretty much equal. Basketball wise we lose out on Gannon but IUP, Ship, WCU, ESU, Kutztown all boost quality programs and in their good years have represented the conference well in the playoffs.

Comment

This has been a yearly conversation since they both arrived here.

It's hard to find any positive to them leaving (from their view).

Seton Hill has also been brought up yearly. That's the one I'd give slightly more seriousness. They are basically operated as a D3 athletic department and would also be a good fit in many D3 conferences (PAC, in particular).

Comment

This seems to be a forever topic among the GMAC faithful. Someone always seems to pipe in with the typical message board "My sources tell me that -Insert school name here- is STRONGLY considering joining the GMAC." Often this information is keyed to some "league meeting" were the posters "source" let the cat out of the bag about an "imminent announcement" of the pending move. Gannon and Hurst are just the latest additions to a list that has included Notre Dame College, Urbana, Ashland, Univ of Indy, Wheeling, Seton Hill and four or five other schools who I can't recall at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            This seems to be a forever topic among the GMAC faithful. Someone always seems to pipe in with the typical message board "My sources tell me that -Insert school name here- is STRONGLY considering joining the GMAC." Often this information is keyed to some "league meeting" were the posters "source" let the cat out of the bag about an "imminent announcement" of the pending move. Gannon and Hurst are just the latest additions to a list that has included Notre Dame College, Urbana, Ashland, Univ of Indy, Wheeling, Seton Hill and four or five other schools who I can't recall at the moment.
            The poster who did post about it did predict that Treveca would be starting football. So I think there has to be some validity to the source.

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post
              Rumors on the GMAC board state that Gannon and Mercyhurst are considering the GMAC.

After fighting for years to be in the PSAC, I find this hard to believe. However, if it does happen it wont be a major hit to the conference. Lock Haven or Ship can head back to the West, and we would have 2 pods of 7 teams that field football.
              With Shepherd just joining the conference and a renewal of the Valley rivalry with Ship, I doubt Ship would be interested in going back to the West.

Comment

GMAC, whenever you'd like, SETON HILL is all yours !!!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  This has been a yearly conversation since they both arrived here.

It's hard to find any positive to them leaving (from their view).

Seton Hill has also been brought up yearly. That's the one I'd give slightly more seriousness. They are basically operated as a D3 athletic department and would also be a good fit in many D3 conferences (PAC, in particular).
                  Agree and disagree. I do agree that their motivation (rosters drive enrollment) is absolutely more D3 but they aren't starving their programs. They're providing roughly $3 million in athletic discounting ("scholarships") beyond what these kids would qualify for in academic scholarships. That's nothing to sniff at and certainly not non-scholarship. I'd argue that Patriot League and the old NE-10 are much closer to D3 than what Seton Hill is doing. Plus PASSHE schools have also used athletics to grow enrollment.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

GMAC, whenever you'd like, SETON HILL is all yours !!!
                    Hahahaha!!! That seems to be a common theme. PLEASE someone take Seton Hill off our hands!

Comment

Originally posted by ESU Warrior View Post

The poster who did post about it did predict that Treveca would be starting football. So I think there has to be some validity to the source.
                      I think the Treveca starting football was an April Fools joke.

https://www.trevecca.edu/news/trevec...rogram-in-2021

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

With Shepherd just joining the conference and a renewal of the Valley rivalry with Ship, I doubt Ship would be interested in going back to the West.
                        Shepherd is more western than either LH or Ship so maybe they will move??

Comment

Shepherd is more western than either LH or Ship so maybe they will move??
                          Shep's in the league now. It's not up to them.

Granted, in this very hypotheical situation.

Comment

I will say with absolute certainty the next school the PSAC targets (when the time comes) will be Frostburg State. That rumor is already in circulation.

Comment

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X