Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholarship Numbers EXCUSE!

At the LHU game and heard the ready made Scholarship Number EXCUSE! HA! Here's an answer: Don't pay a horrible HC $96,000 a year and use some of the savings towards scholarships if that's really the problem! Pennsylvania has countless High School coaches that dedicate countless hours running much more successful programs for just a couple thousand dollar stipend on top of having a Day Job! You should have to perform your Job to keep your Job! No matter the explanation: An Excuse is just that, AN EXCUSE!

All righty then.

Comment

Originally posted by LHUEaglez View Post
      At the LHU game and heard the ready made Scholarship Number EXCUSE! HA! Here's an answer: Don't pay a horrible HC $96,000 a year and use some of the savings towards scholarships if that's really the problem! Pennsylvania has countless High School coaches that dedicate countless hours running much more successful programs for just a couple thousand dollar stipend on top of having a Day Job! You should have to perform your Job to keep your Job! No matter the explanation: An Excuse is just that, AN EXCUSE!
      I'm wondering for how long you've followed LHU football. They've been bad for a lot longer than the current guy has been the coach. You mention the $96k in every post. Most (maybe all) PSAC coaches make more than that. At LHU, the wrestling coach and the field hockey coach make more than that (they are D1).

As everybody on this board knows you can't take part of his salary and fund scholarships. Scholarships have to be privately funded. To their credit, a lot of former Bald Eagle gridders have begun a scholarship fund. At least they are trying. I'd give it a few more years and I think if I'm LHU I would seriously consider going the sprint football route like Mansfield. They would save money that could be used by other LHU programs.

Comment

It's interesting because they have to think outside the box to turn that program around. I looked over their roster of 85 players and there are only 4 seniors. 4!

Most are freshman or sophomores. They are trying to do a rebuilding approach. They seem to be able at get a handful of good skill players so I don't know why they can't seem to put together a complete team. But with the new focus on fundraising and the youth in the program I still don't count them out. I really do hope they can turn it around.

Comment

Making $96,000 in today's world ... you're acting like the guy is making 7 figures. That's not much money for a head coach. He's probably near the bottom of PSAC football coaches in salary.

As said above, he's just one in a long line of failed coaches there.

They could hire coach after coach there. Until the financial support is in place ... it won't matter who it is. They have to raise the scholarship money. They don't have any because they don't raise any.

Now, I will agree with you that they do have some talent on the roster but the team is under-performing. They do have some guys who could play for the top programs.

Comment

You can thank Ms. Taylor. She pretty much sabotaged the whole foosball program for years that it seems almost impossible to make The Haven a winner.
            Last edited by IUPNation; 10-20-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post
              You can thank Ms. Taylor. She pretty much sabotaged the whole foosball for years that it seems almost impossible to make The Haven a winner.
              That's the first thing I thought of, too.

Comment

The point w/ the salary is what return has the university gotten in the program? The reason for so many freshman and sophomores is HC can't retain players, lost 6 starters from last year and some of those were all conference players! Happens every year under HC. He can't retain Assistant Coaches either, only one has been there longer than 2 yrs. If they couldn't use salary savings for scholarships, then put into the program: facilcities, equipment, hell give the kids a sweatshirt or gym bag. As far as building financial support, gotta win or at least show some improvement to first build some interest in the program. You say there under-performing, that should fall on the HC. The kids busting there ass playing football while going to college at least deserve the opportunity to be competitive and the HC's coaching falls way short in that aspect from talking to actual former players and even a couple former assistant coaches at games.

Comment

The guys that you mention that could play elsewhere, damn near every year under this HC he's had those kids and damn near every year under this HC kids transfer or choose not to play their final year of eligibility! Common denominator: HC! Just because something has always been a certain way doesn't mean it has to be; much less that it shouldn't be identified as a problem and addressed. I'm not saying LHU could or much less should ever contend as a powerhouse. Just advocating for a change, watching the kids play against the other team is hard enough; A HC is supposed to put his best kids on the field in the best possible situation to be successful to give the team an opportunity to be competitive and this HC doesn't come close! Same mistakes in play calling, fundamentals, discipline, clock management every week! That falls on him, show some improvement, ANY! Hell, leading RB in PSAC spent half of the day on the sideline yesterday? because HC wants to split time with other RB, and runs QB 16 times anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by LHUEaglez View Post
                    Many successful high school coaches also get a full time position in the school district. Some are given a teaching job, driver's education instructor, dean of students, gym teacher, etc.. When they aren't winning and are relieved of coaching duties, they still get to keep their full time job. The PSAC was like that too, but now a coach can find himself unemployed after a few losing seasons. It seems the salary is part of the risk of taking a temporary job.

Comment

Scholarships are just part of the problem, and the money won't come first without any improvement to increase interest from more Alumni and local community and business. Able to have enough kids to lead the PSAC in rushing: good RB and good OL. Defense was hit hardest by aforementioned transfers from last year, and third different Defensive Coordinator in 3 yrs! Can't blame lack of scholarships for under-performing team or players that are there now! Good coaches develop the players they have; you know COACH them to improve and put them in positions or situations to be successful! Any improvement would show some level of coaching, Good OL = Good OL Coach(longest tenured asst.); Good RB = Good RB Coach, oh inconsistent QB play and passing game = Poor QB Coach and Poor Pass Play calling and here's another common denominator HC is also the QB coach and doesn't let off. cor. call plays during the game, hmm? go figure?

Comment

Ah, the old what comes first, the chicken or the egg? I'd say find the right guy and throw money at it.

Comment

Are players leaving because of the coach or because of the losing? Or maybe it's the $96,000 salary.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X