• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You'll still be looking for a QB
    I can't even argue that one :)

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

I can't even argue that one :)
      Lol ... I fear we may have the same issue next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Wcball00 View Post

Isn't it soon time to start an IUP Football 2020 thread for all this banter?
        Not until at least we knock West Chester out of the playoffs. Again.

Comment

Anyone out there who is smarter than me (and most of you are) understand why in the regional rankings ...

1. Slippery Rock's win over Wayne State does not count toward in-region games,
          nor does Edinboro's loss to Grand Valley?

2. But Ohio Dominican's loss to Valdosta State does count, as does Lake Erie's loss to Davenport?

The NCAA website says:

I thought Wayne State and Grand Valley would count because they're in Michigan, and so is Hillsdale, which is in the region. But I can't figure out why a team from Ohio can play one from Georgia or Iowa and it does count.

Like I said, someone smarter than me can probably explain this.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
            Anyone out there who is smarter than me (and most of you are) understand why in the regional rankings ...

1. Slippery Rock's win over Wayne State does not count toward in-region games,
            nor does Edinboro's loss to Grand Valley?

2. But Ohio Dominican's loss to Valdosta State does count, as does Lake Erie's loss to Davenport?

The NCAA website says:

I thought Wayne State and Grand Valley would count because they're in Michigan, and so is Hillsdale, which is in the region. But I can't figure out why a team from Ohio can play one from Georgia or Iowa and it does count.

Like I said, someone smarter than me can probably explain this.
            Lake Erie is in Painesville, Ohio and Davenport is in Grand Rapids, Michigan (not Davenport, Iowa), so they are in contiguous states which makes the game in-region.

I'm not sure why the Ohio Dominican vs Valdosta State game is in-region as they are in different regions, different conferences, and not contiguous states BUT what I suspect is that Ohio Domincan lost an in-region game when Malone dropped football and they couldn't pick up another game so maybe the NCAA gave them a waiver to count the game with Valdosta State as an in-region game ..... not sure if that is correct but can't think of another reason.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieman View Post
              I'm not sure why the Ohio Dominican vs Valdosta State game is in-region as they are in different regions, different conferences, and not contiguous states BUT what I suspect is that Ohio Domincan lost an in-region game when Malone dropped football and they couldn't pick up another game so maybe the NCAA gave them a waiver to count the game with Valdosta State as an in-region game ..... not sure if that is correct but can't think of another reason.
              I just checked and it's counted for Valdosta also.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieman View Post
                Davenport is in Grand Rapids, Michigan (not Davenport, Iowa), so they are in contiguous states which makes the game in-region.
                Thanks. I shouldn't have assumed it was in Iowa.

The Valdosta/ODU one has me still confused. Oh well.
                Last edited by Matt Burglund; 11-01-2019, 07:02 AM.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Comment

Believe it or not, not everything is done as an act of penalizing. In region, non-conference games increase the likelihood to use the common opponents portion of the rating criteria. An example would be if Assumption finished 2019 with only one loss to New Haven, IUP would be ahead of Assumption due to the result of that common opponent.

But not to worry. IUP isn't going to LSCland any time soon. So you're only getting screwed over hypothetically.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

Believe it or not, not everything is done as an act of penalizing. In region, non-conference games increase the likelihood to use the common opponents portion of the rating criteria. An example would be if Assumption finished 2019 with only one loss to New Haven, IUP would be ahead of Assumption due to the result of that common opponent.

But not to worry. IUP isn't going to LSCland any time soon. So you're only getting screwed over hypothetically.

Comment

Ah yes, the good old days. There's nothing from preventing a school from playing out of region. A non-region game didn't hurt Slippery Rock last year and doesn't appear to be doing so this year either. Last year, Valdosta didn't play non-region, Ferris did. They played each other in the national championship. It's been a while since IUP played a non-SR1 team during the regular season.

Comment

Ah yes, the good old days. There's nothing from preventing a school from playing out of region. A non-region game didn't hurt Slippery Rock last year and doesn't appear to be doing so this year either. Last year, Valdosta didn't play non-region, Ferris did. They played each other in the national championship. It's been a while since IUP played a non-SR1 team during the regular season.
                          IUP played Ashland the past two years.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

IUP played Ashland the past two years.
                            Yes...Ashland is not in SR1, but since they are in Ohio and Ohio borders PA, by NCAA rules the game counts as a game vs an SR1 foe (for IUP) AND as a game vs an SR3 foe (for Ashland).

Comment

I actually believe the way the ncaa should do it is to award an extra point to winners of games for schools that DO step up & schedule out of/cross region games, not only to reward them for the additional travel related expenses, but too raise the INTEREST in D2 sports in general. (like has been mentioned, especially with playing a traditionally strong program)

Would need to limit it to 1 extra point per regular season, but it might even help break the silo stronghold that the conferences are absolutely trying to dictate.

I remember that time,about 4-5 years ago??, when Humbolt State came all the way out to play CN, thought that was the neatest thing & really wanted to go to that game to support both schools but wasn't able to.

Comment

Originally posted by Clydes 'N Rams View Post

I actually believe the way the ncaa should do it is to award an extra point to winners of games for schools that DO step up & schedule out of/cross region games, not only to reward them for the additional travel related expenses, but too raise the INTEREST in D2 sports in general. (like has been mentioned, especially with playing a traditionally strong program)

Would need to limit it to 1 extra point per regular season, but it might even help break the silo stronghold that the conferences are absolutely trying to dictate.

I remember that time,about 4-5 years ago??, when Humbolt State came all the way out to play CN, thought that was the neatest thing & really wanted to go to that game to support both schools but wasn't able to.

It's just all money. Schools at this level don't have the funds to be going on road trips from PA to Kansas (or wherever). The NCAA wouldn't get any extra bang for the buck so there would be no incentive for them to pony up. You ask the average person in our towns if they've ever heard of Ferris State or Carson-Newman ... the answer would be no.

I came up in the era when IUP did play these marquee games in non-conference. Nebraska-Omaha came to Indiana when they were a power, etc. It was cool for the actual fans of the program and the D2 level ... but to most it was just another game on another Saturday. The crowds were the same as always -- no bigger, no smaller.

IUP's coach went on the record after the Ashland series ended basically saying if they don't get a non-conference game at home they aren't playing one. They are budget killers.

I agree they'd be great attractions for those of us on here. But, we're a VERY small community.

It could possibly work better in basketball as teams can schedule a couple games in to one trip. Not to mention, of course, you're only taking about 18-20 people total (coaches included). Football travel down here in the 'bus leagues' is just so expensive.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X