Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

College football has changed significantly from the years you are mentioning. The "perception" angle I referenced has forced that change. We used to love Cinderella teams like UCF. Nobody does now - including the front running media. Why has UCF not gotten the media love and general public rooting interest that Boise State got 10 or so years ago? Because they are threats to the establishment.
    I would argue that Boise State in the late 2000s was NOT a threat to the establishment and Central Florida the last couple of years was. That's largely because it is easier to make an argument that a really good G5 team is one of the top 4 teams in the country than it is one of the top 2 teams in the country (which is what it would have taken for Boise State to threaten the establishment in the late 2000s.) It was partly because of Boise State that one of NY6 bowl game slots is reserved for the best G5 champion team. That's a bone the establishment was willing to throw to them. However, if you look at the rest of the bowl schedule*, the establishment clearly does not want G5 teams playing reasonably good P5 teams in bowl games.

*Related to this, IMO DI-A/FBS football has BY FAR the worst postseason setup in all of U.S. sports at the pro and college levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      We'll see how good Minnesota is today - I'm sure not very. People love the Golden Gophers... PJ Fleck, "Row the Boat," undefeated, etc... Nobody cares that they have played likely the worst schedule of any Power 5 team.
      If I could figure out how to post that GIF of Homer Simpson backing slowly into the hedges, I'd post it right here.

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
      I'd love to see IUP play somebody like Grand Valley in a home and home. But that's not what the media has told us is important.
      If I could figure out how to post that GIF of the guy blinking in disbelief, I'd post it right here.
      http://www.indianagazette.com
      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

If I could figure out how to post that GIF of Homer Simpson backing slowly into the hedges, I'd post it right here.

If I could figure out how to post that GIF of the guy blinking in disbelief, I'd post it right here.

Comment

• IUP will definitely move up to 3 this week, but if Notre Dame beats West Virginia State next week; I can see the Falcons possibly moving back to 3 for the final rankings.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
            IUP will definitely move up to 3 this week, but if Notre Dame beats West Virginia State next week; I can see the Falcons possibly moving back to 3 for the final rankings.
            Tiffin should move up a little too, with a win at Hillsdale. If they beat FIndley next week they should move up more.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

Tiffin should move up a little too, with a win at Hillsdale. If they beat FIndley next week they should move up more.
              Tiffin might jump both West Chester and West Virginia St this week and be 6th. It will be interesting who is 10th, my guess is Findlay. Even if West Chester beats Cal, I can't see the committee putting 5 PSAC teams in. If West Virginia State does lose to NDC how far would they drop??

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Matt, I've never been happier to be wrong about the outcome of a football game. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CHIP72 View Post

I would argue that Boise State in the late 2000s was NOT a threat to the establishment and Central Florida the last couple of years was. That's largely because it is easier to make an argument that a really good G5 team is one of the top 4 teams in the country than it is one of the top 2 teams in the country (which is what it would have taken for Boise State to threaten the establishment in the late 2000s.) It was partly because of Boise State that one of NY6 bowl game slots is reserved for the best G5 champion team. That's a bone the establishment was willing to throw to them. However, if you look at the rest of the bowl schedule*, the establishment clearly does not want G5 teams playing reasonably good P5 teams in bowl games.

*Related to this, IMO DI-A/FBS football has BY FAR the worst postseason setup in all of U.S. sports at the pro and college levels.
                  I think the NCAA is willing to allow the gap to continue to widen between the 10-15 programs that run college football. SOS means nothing to anybody other than the few teams vying for the four spots in the playoff.

Minnesota is a perfect example of why it's now conceivably "okay" to not play anybody. Awful non-conference schedule (that they mostly struggled with). Awful conference schedule up until yesterday. But nobody cared when they were 8-0. Now they have a nice win under their belt and have some legitimacy.

The media only builds up wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Was thrilled to be wrong, Chuck. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post
                      IUP will definitely move up to 3 this week, but if Notre Dame beats West Virginia State next week; I can see the Falcons possibly moving back to 3 for the final rankings.
                      Why should IUP be punished? Fake Notre Dame stumbled down the stretch. Unless IUP loses to Ship, that should be the only reason to drop IUP.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Fake Notre Dame stumbled ...
                        Careful, you're starting to sound like someone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

My precious Notre Dame? All I said is that they deserved to be top 3 as long as they were unbeaten. How mentally fragile are you?

Comment

• So how SHOULD the NCAA determine playoff teams?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

I will take you silly insult of calling me a whiny fool as that your admission I was right because you know I am.

You probably are right that some region 1 teams get nods over better teams in other regions. That generally would never apply to IUP. Probably West Chester though. HA!

BTW the nuns at Kenrick would have told you that 8-2 is better than 7-3
                              About what?

Comment

• Shepherd is a solid 5 as we speak, assuming they win. There is an outside chance of moving to four if WV State knocks off Notre Dame, kind of doubt that happens.

Its really a coin flip if ND wins on the third seed. I think if Kutztown bets Slippery Rock, IUP is the four seed. If it goes the other way, IUP takes the three seed.

Five and and six seeds are up in the air...Tiffin should take one of them but after that who knows.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X