Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, if he's gone then for sure MARTY ball is over at Mercyhurst. Loser in 2 division PSAC and GLIAC and still a loser, but he can beat the below average teams sometimes. This decision shouldn't be hard at all for Mercyhurst AD. Actually MARTY should just resign and save the AD the decision, this is the last year of his contract anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bloom2005 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if the BU "opened" head coach position isn't already lined up for someone. I'm pretty sure the firing was done knowing that a replacement coach was ready to take over the program. The national search is just politics/union requirements.

I hope its a former Hale assistant coach.
      Maybe. The only person on the staff in any possible position to take over as head coach is Chet Henicle. I think he could do it and is more than prepared. But if Bloom was willing to let Darragh go after all his years, I think they may be looking for a bigger change. The last time this job was open the national search was a formality. Darargh went 10-2 and won the conference championship in his interim season so everyone knew he would get the job and I don't t know anyone that didn't support that. Tom Pajic was the only other candidate they interviewed. I think they will do a more formal search this time, and they absolutely should. They're going to get good candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Got me. Sometimes I just throw a trial balloon out there. What I was thinking is that his experience is in Communications within Athletics. This coaching move seems more like an on-field performance issue to me. Are they more concerned with how it looks? PR?

Maybe I'm old-fashioned in thinking that AD's are most frequently former coaches. According to the article in the link below coaching is still a common path to the AD job. But it cites finance/fundraising, communications and marketing as common backgrounds for recent AD hires. Of course, the article is about D1 AD's. Thought you might find it interesting.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...ng-column.aspx
        It depends. The quickness of the decision says it was decided before the outcome of the game so from my non-athletics perspective that's not an off-field. I guess we'll never know.

FWIW, the path to AD for PSAC schools:

Bloomsburg - athletics external relations
        California - volleyball coach
        Clarion - athletics compliance
        East Stroudsburg - volleyball coach
        Edinboro - education faculty
        Gannon - softball coach
        Indiana - athletics external relations
        Kutztown - football coach
        Lock Haven - phys ed faculty
        Mansfield - swimming coach
        Mercyhurst - athletics external relations
        Millersville - baseball coach
        Pitt Johnstown - wrestling coach
        Seton Hill - football coach
        Shepherd - athletics operations
        Shippensburg - athletics compliance, sports information
        Slippery Rock - athletics development, marketing & promotions
        West Chester - athletics facilities

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

It depends. The quickness of the decision says it was decided before the outcome of the game so from my non-athletics perspective that's not an off-field. I guess we'll never know.

FWIW, the path to AD for PSAC schools:

Bloomsburg - athletics external relations
          California - volleyball coach
          Clarion - athletics compliance
          East Stroudsburg - volleyball coach
          Edinboro - education faculty
          Gannon - softball coach
          Indiana - athletics external relations
          Kutztown - football coach
          Lock Haven - phys ed faculty
          Mansfield - swimming coach
          Mercyhurst - athletics external relations
          Millersville - baseball coach
          Pitt Johnstown - wrestling coach
          Seton Hill - football coach
          Shepherd - athletics operations
          Shippensburg - athletics compliance, sports information
          Slippery Rock - athletics development, marketing & promotions
          West Chester - athletics facilities
          Thanks for doing the legwork on this.

I figured the D2/PSAC AD's would look a lot different from the D1 schools. Those D1 folks mentioned in the previous attachment are basically running major corporations.

So, in the PSAC, 8 of 16 are former college coaches and 2 others are former faculty members. That's the traditional model and I think it results in more careful coaching change decisions.

The two who stand out are Bloom and IUP. After I posted yesterday concerning the Bloom guy's background I looked at IUP's new AD's background and those two are very similar. They are more oriented towards fundraising and external relations/marketing than the other AD's. So, my point is that if that is the trend for AD's that when it trickles down to the PSAC we will see a different set of values and probably more decisions like what happened at Bloom. They are going to respond to external influences rather than the traditional ("inbred?") athletics department environment comprised of people who've been colleagues for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Thanks for doing the legwork on this.

I figured the D2/PSAC AD's would look a lot different from the D1 schools. Those D1 folks mentioned in the previous attachment are basically running major corporations.

So, in the PSAC, 8 of 16 are former college coaches and 2 others are former faculty members. That's the traditional model and I think it results in more careful coaching change decisions.

The two who stand out are Bloom and IUP. After I posted yesterday concerning the Bloom guy's background I looked at IUP's new AD's background and those two are very similar. They are more oriented towards fundraising and external relations/marketing than the other AD's. So, my point is that if that is the trend for AD's that when it trickles down to the PSAC we will see a different set of values and probably more decisions like what happened at Bloom. They are going to respond to external influences rather than the traditional ("inbred?") athletics department environment comprised of people who've been colleagues for a long time.
            You no doubt need a businessman in that position. If you want to routinely win in the revenue sports you best have money -- and a lot of it.

I see Todd as being the guy to finally get IUP's football money maxed out. Once that happens the sky is the limit. In any given year the top SR1 teams can match up with anybody in players 1-22. The big fall off is players 23 and down. That's why we don't have any football titles. The depth difference you can buy with 35 equivalencies compared to 25 is astronomical.

We've seen our fully funded men's basketball teams come real close to the national title. Cal has won two in women's basketball. IUP was at the brink a year ago. Football needs more money. More quality depth. More donors of all levels.

Comment

Still has 2 years left on contract, he will get paid regardless or reassigned to an administrative position which I heard is what is going to happen

Comment

Maybe the last stone was calling a timeout so early and leaving Edinboro time on the clock to run plays. Seemed crazy calling a timeout at the 1 yd line with 30 some seconds left on 3rd down at the end of the game. ...leaving unnecessary time for Edinboro. Couldve cost them. Of maybe I'm just not seeing the benefit there.

Comment

Comment

It is from my understanding that the assistant coaches, if not kept on by the new head coach, will also be getting administrative positions if their contract cannot be bought out. Though, all of these coaches could definitely get new jobs in the PSAC or elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ85 View Post
                      Still has 2 years left on contract, he will get paid regardless or reassigned to an administrative position which I heard is what is going to happen
                      Scott Browning was making similar money when Edinboro fired him in 2015. That cost them over $400k and made him one of the 10 highest paid state employees in 2015. From PennLive:

Earnings explanation: Under the provisions of the coaches' collective bargaining agreement, Browning was entitled to the full payout of his contract. His 2015 salary for the approximately 11 months prior to his separation was $93,185. He also received a lump sum payment of $277,611 for the remainder of his contract, $1,878 for unused leave, and $48,814 for insurance coverage under COBRA.

Comment

People have been asking where is Jay Paterno? On 11-14-19 before the rash of PSAC coaching changes, he published a timely article. http://www.statecollege.com/news/col...ience,1481739/

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGuy View Post
                            The schools are perpetually horrible and five years ago their matchups with Bloom were almost never even competitive. Bloomsburg starters would not even play in the second half against these teams in most years. Now, not only are the games competitive, Paul oversaw losses to these teams recently. ESU just the other year beat Bloomsburg in the regular season for the first time in, what, 20 years? Worse even then that, Paul coached us to losses against Lock Haven in 2016 and 2017. Prior to that, when had Bloomsburg most recently lost to LHU? Before Watergate?
                            Perpetually horrible? That's laughable. Just this year ESU won 6 games. In half of the 2010s, a down decade for the program, they still managed to avoid losing records. Yes, most of their wins were against terrible teams, but then why haven't LHU or Ville had any 6-win seasons this decade? Call us perpetually mediocre, fine, that's fair. But lump us with Ville and LHU and I will call you out. News flash: Bloom's new normal is closer to ESU than the top of the division.

Comment

Originally posted by EastStroud13 View Post

Perpetually horrible? That's laughable. Just this year ESU won 6 games. In half of the 2010s, a down decade for the program, they still managed to avoid losing records. Yes, most of their wins were against terrible teams, but then why haven't LHU or Ville had any 6-win seasons this decade? Call us perpetually mediocre, fine, that's fair. But lump us with Ville and LHU and I will call you out. News flash: Bloom's new normal is closer to ESU than the top of the division.
                              We have a word for that phrase in the West: Mercyhurst.

Comment

If Jay Paterno wants to get into coaching so bad, Bloom would be a good spot for him... he's been wanting to get back into coaching for years and no one will touch him. A D2 would be a good landing spot.

If Bloom hired Marty it would be a disaster. Gannon and Edinboro hires dont have a lot to work with. Mercyhurst, it depends on the hire, if the alum like the hire enough, you might see a better program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X