Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CUlater View Post

He signed with West Chester a couple days ago. Nice addition for them. Was hoping he would follow Knight over to CU
    His 3.5 GPA probably got him an academic scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

His 3.5 GPA probably got him an academic scholarship.
      No doubt.

The rich get richer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Cheyney doesn't have football.
        Yes but when they did any decent players disappeared.

Comment

• Didn't I read in a previous post that the AD pulled some funding from the football program at LHU? Pulling funding doesn't equate to rebuilding a program, unless I'm missing something...

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post
            Didn't I read in a previous post that the AD pulled some funding from the football program at LHU? Pulling funding doesn't equate to rebuilding a program, unless I'm missing something...
            I don't know about that but I do know they have a lot of Title IX pressure. Starting up Women's Wrestling should help to alleviate that pressure to a certain extent. It's not so much that LHU is completely out of whack on gender equity, it might be in a more solid position than the majority of PSAC schools. However, there has always been a lot of pressure from the women's athletics side at LH, and this goes back to even before Sharon Taylor ever stepped foot on campus. Let's face it, LHU has had one of the more successful women's athletics programs in D2 on a national level. They've had numerous national championships in softball, women's volleyball, lacrosse, and field hockey. They have a pretty successful D1 women's field hockey program. Interestingly, since Taylor was run out of town the women's programs haven't matched their earlier success, although softball did win the PSAC last year and FH continues to do well in the Atlantic 10 conference.

It's Mat Town, USA. In the most recent rankings LHU is ranked in a tie for 3rd in the MAC (out of 15 teams) and this is despite having a lot of injuries currently. They finished in the top 20 at the D1 NCAA tourney the past 2 years. Personally, I've followed LHU Wrestling for 50 years and that's what I care about at LHU. I hope the football program can get better but wrestling is #1 and there are a lot of people who feel the same way.

In terms of football, I am pulling for the new coach and the team. I hope they can finally get back to mediocrity, at least. However, if they don't the LH administration needs to take a serious look at the program. I'd give the coach and program 4 or 5 years and then reevaluate. A drop to Sprint Football like Mansfield or a drop altogether like Cheyney is not out of the question. If they can't cut it, they can't cut it. It would take the Title IX pressure off and it would strengthen all of the other programs. LHU is a very sports-oriented school and Lock Haven is a very sports-oriented community so I know it would be hard to drop the football program. Times are tough, however.

A lack of money has been mentioned a couple times in this conversation. There is some basic economics at play with LH. Football is by far the biggest and most costly program to maintain. The smaller the school, the more disproportionate the cost of football is. LH is now the smallest PASSHE with a football program. That factor, by itself, may be impossible to overcome.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I don't know about that but I do know they have a lot of Title IX pressure. Starting up Women's Wrestling should help to alleviate that pressure to a certain extent. It's not so much that LHU is completely out of whack on gender equity, it might be in a more solid position than the majority of PSAC schools. However, there has always been a lot of pressure from the women's athletics side at LH, and this goes back to even before Sharon Taylor ever stepped foot on campus. Let's face it, LHU has had one of the more successful women's athletics programs in D2 on a national level. They've had numerous national championships in softball, women's volleyball, lacrosse, and field hockey. They have a pretty successful D1 women's field hockey program. Interestingly, since Taylor was run out of town the women's programs haven't matched their earlier success, although softball did win the PSAC last year and FH continues to do well in the Atlantic 10 conference.

It's Mat Town, USA. In the most recent rankings LHU is ranked in a tie for 3rd in the MAC (out of 15 teams) and this is despite having a lot of injuries currently. They finished in the top 20 at the D1 NCAA tourney the past 2 years. Personally, I've followed LHU Wrestling for 50 years and that's what I care about at LHU. I hope the football program can get better but wrestling is #1 and there are a lot of people who feel the same way.

In terms of football, I am pulling for the new coach and the team. I hope they can finally get back to mediocrity, at least. However, if they don't the LH administration needs to take a serious look at the program. I'd give the coach and program 4 or 5 years and then reevaluate. A drop to Sprint Football like Mansfield or a drop altogether like Cheyney is not out of the question. If they can't cut it, they can't cut it. It would take the Title IX pressure off and it would strengthen all of the other programs. LHU is a very sports-oriented school and Lock Haven is a very sports-oriented community so I know it would be hard to drop the football program. Times are tough, however.

A lack of money has been mentioned a couple times in this conversation. There is some basic economics at play with LH. Football is by far the biggest and most costly program to maintain. The smaller the school, the more disproportionate the cost of football is. LH is now the smallest PASSHE with a football program. That factor, by itself, may be impossible to overcome.
              Reading this just makes me happier I attended IUP.

Foosball!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

Reading this just makes me happier I attended IUP.

Foosball!!!
                I know. We have different perspectives on that.

Of course, IUP is still looking for that 1st NCAA championship and 1st Dixon Trophy. Go IUP!

Comment

Of course, IUP is still looking for that 1st NCAA championship and 1st Dixon Trophy. Go IUP!

They (IUP) made the decision to go 'all in' on three sports. I would like to see them have a little more success in the non-revenue sports. Men's Golf has become a powerhouse. Women's Tennis is doing well. The rest ... not so much.

I see they are dumping a lot of coin into the baseball and softball fields. When I saw that I was thinking they aren't even old but I guess they are approaching 20 years already. Hard to believe.

But ... IUP will win a national title before it wins a Dixon -- likely in one of the basketball programs. They aren't built for a Dixon title. Too many of the non-revenue sports are terrible.

Comment

Last edited by IUPNation; 01-13-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

• https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...c-program.html

Comment

• John Kelling will have Loch Haven Competing for a division title within 3 years

Comment

• Originally posted by Real_FSU_47 View Post
                          John Kelling will have Loch Haven Competing for a division title within 3 years
                          I'd bet more that John Kelling will be back at Frostburg within 3 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They (IUP) made the decision to go 'all in' on three sports. I would like to see them have a little more success in the non-revenue sports. Men's Golf has become a powerhouse. Women's Tennis is doing well. The rest ... not so much.

I see they are dumping a lot of coin into the baseball and softball fields. When I saw that I was thinking they aren't even old but I guess they are approaching 20 years already. Hard to believe.

But ... IUP will win a national title before it wins a Dixon -- likely in one of the basketball programs. They aren't built for a Dixon title. Too many of the non-revenue sports are terrible.
                            At the Division II level, they're basically all non-revenue sports for most schools. Some just lose less money than others.

Comment

I'd bet more that John Kelling will be back at Frostburg within 3 years.
                              Only if Fitz leaves

Comment

There's nothing wrong with that model. The ticket selling programs draw the revenue used to fund the other programs. Plus students in most of those programs come for the opportunity more than the money.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X