Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Smith I could see. Gregory, not even close.
    I think it depends on what he does this playoff. I haven't been a big fan of the play calling, but stats wise he looks really good. He is also one of the few OCs to have a run game coordinator rather than an O-line coach. I also wonder if Barker is interested since he has done the international team coaching. I can see coaches wanting the Bloom position, and Gannon because of the Scholies, and perks of a private school. Can't imagine who would want it, except someone without other offers, or who has a point to try to prove.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

I think it depends on what he does this playoff. I haven't been a big fan of the play calling, but stats wise he looks really good. He is also one of the few OCs to have a run game coordinator rather than an O-line coach. I also wonder if Barker is interested since he has done the international team coaching. I can see coaches wanting the Bloom position, and Gannon because of the Scholies, and perks of a private school. Can't imagine who would want it, except someone without other offers, or who has a point to try to prove.
      No doubt. Gregory is a sharp guy. He's well-spoken. He's the right age.

And, I'm talking Lock Haven here. He's the prototype of what kind of candidate they could get. It's going to be a first-time head coach who is a proven coordinator or it's going to be a washed up journeyman looking for one last dance. Obviously, next to no sitting head coach is going to want that job. It's basically the Green Mile of coaching jobs, which also doesn't help to attract a Tate Gregory type. They may wait it out for something better.

Comment

Comment

What's Jay Paterno Doing ?

Comment

I don't think she's totally to blame. If you think about it, a lot of programs started to fade when they switched from NAIA to NCAA D2, especially if they ran older-fashioned departments (Lock Haven and Millersville).

Lock Haven more than anyone in the PSAC is affected by Penn State's shadow.

For Lock Haven to win, they need a shot in the arm from a home run hire (Justin Lustig at Edinboro) followed by a long period of building a program from the bottom up. Yes, this means fundraising scholarship dollars but it also means having a guy at the top long term (Kirk Ferentz at Iowa).

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't think she's totally to blame. If you think about it, a lot of programs started to fade when they switched from NAIA to NCAA D2, especially if they ran older-fashioned departments (Lock Haven and Millersville).

Lock Haven more than anyone in the PSAC is affected by Penn State's shadow.

For Lock Haven to win, they need a shot in the arm from a home run hire (Justin Lustig at Edinboro) followed by a long period of building a program from the bottom up. Yes, this means fundraising scholarship dollars but it also means having a guy at the top long term (Kirk Ferentz at Iowa).
              Or they take the MANSFIELD route and go SPRINT FOOTBALL which in the current situation seems a lot smarter than banging their heads against the D2 wall.

Comment

Somewhat local to PA ... the Alderson Broaddus (WV, GMAC) football job also just opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post
                  What's Jay Paterno Doing ?
                  I've had that thought before, too. He could probably donate some of his own money for schollies. He's been out for a long time now, though. It would be earth shaking, though. Wouldn't it?

Comment

The spectrum of possibilities for LHU football range from hitting a homerun, swinging for the fences and striking out, or dropping NCAA football and forming a Sprint team. I don't think the status quo is a viable option.

Regardless of the "forty years of futility" I would never say never regarding a comeback in football.

I think they have things working in their favor that could make it happen.

They have started to focus on fundraising. The effort is led by player alumni. Frankly, a lot of the old money in Lock Haven has died off or moved away (e.g., my great uncle/godfather was perhaps the biggest donor to LHU but he died 15 years ago). However, there is some corporate sponsorship locally that they could get. Additionally, as FS82 mentioned LHU is in the shadow of PSU to the West but to the East the Williamsport area has adopted LHU as their hometown college (not taking anything away from Lycoming) and they can expand their fundraising/corporate sponsorship eastward. They should hit up LH native and 49er's Kicker Robbie Gould for some $$ channeled directly to football. I believe he has made more money than any NFL Kicker in history over his career. He's a PSU guy but he supports a lot of community stuff in LH, including at LHU.

Finally, the new LHU President will not accept the status quo. He is a really dynamic "go-getter" who supports athletics. I suspect he will be actively involved in selecting a new coach. Time will tell and your guess is as good as mine.

It will require a Herculean effort but it could happen.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      I wouldn't be surprised if IUP offensive coordinator Tate Gregory gets one of these three open jobs.

Jim Smith (D Coordinator) is certainly ready but may not be interested.
                      Smith will have no interest in that what so ever. That move would be a career killer. Really any PSAC school besides WCU, Cal, Slip, IUP, Shep, and maybe Bloom Edinboro would be a career killer. Mercyhurst would be up in the air because of how much money they can offer being a private school but just seem to miss out on talent and never can win. That being said, I do not think Smith would want to move his family to Bloom. Spouse, kids, a lot would come into discussion about a move like that. If it was a Division I job paying over $175-200,000 then yes but not for these schools.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        I wouldn't be surprised if IUP offensive coordinator Tate Gregory gets one of these three open jobs.

Jim Smith (D Coordinator) is certainly ready but may not be interested.
                        If IUP makes a deep run in the playoffs I could see Gregory's phone ringing

Comment

Originally posted by TJ85 View Post

If IUP makes a deep run in the playoffs I could see Gregory's phone ringing
                          I remember as recently as last year at this time he was a persona non-grata on this board.

Comment

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I remember as recently as last year at this time he was a persona non-grata on this board.
                            Not from me, I don't listen to what people say on this site because they don't know what they're talking about and have no experience with playing or coaching. There's a few guys on here that make good points but as to who should coach a team I would never listen to anyone on this site. If they make a deep run, his phone will be ringing. Just like all of the other coordinators on teams that will make a run. It's football administration 101 pal, teams will be looking for coordinators of good teams, not coordinators or head coaches of bad teams. Because you could be knocked out of the playoffs with 2 losses sometimes and absolutely with 3, you need a good caliber coach with playoff experience.

Comment

Excellent points.

I'm a little surprised by this move because from a distance it looked like LHU was making some progress under Taynor. Just changing the person in the role isn't going to fix it. Taynor will probably stick around the conference as an OC. I believe coming back to area was his motivator and he was a frequent finalist for other PSAC jobs.

Comment

Juniata's head coach just retired.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X