Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post
    They're going to need a super recruiter to have any chance of turning that ship around. LHU hasn't been remotely competitive for years.
    Lock Haven beat Bloomsburg in 2016 and 2017....

Comment

Comment

I don't know if that's 100% true. I think its more fair to say they don't prioritize football. Honestly, I don't know how one can have football be a priority (as one school would say, Tier 1) while also having Division 1 football. That's a whole lotta men's roster spots for a school struggling to maintain 3,200 students and just 40% men. They certainly can step up their fundraising and revenue generation. If Northwest Missouri State can fully-fund football in a town of 11,000 then Lock Haven can do much better than 4.5 full scholarships in a town of 9,000.

Side note: the only schools to "play up" in Division 1 wrestling are all in PA: Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, Franklin & Marshall, and Lock Haven.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ85 View Post

Smith will have no interest in that what so ever. That move would be a career killer. Really any PSAC school besides WCU, Cal, Slip, IUP, Shep, and maybe Bloom Edinboro would be a career killer. Mercyhurst would be up in the air because of how much money they can offer being a private school but just seem to miss out on talent and never can win. That being said, I do not think Smith would want to move his family to Bloom. Spouse, kids, a lot would come into discussion about a move like that. If it was a Division I job paying over $175-200,000 then yes but not for these schools.
          Good point about moving his family. What people need to remember is these guys don't make a lot of money coaching at the D2 level and in most cases their wives have careers that make more money than they do. That said, it's hard to move the entire family when the money won't cover the spouse's salary.

Comment

I feel bad for Coach Taynor. He's a good guy and I think he was improving the program. Hoping for a soft landing for him and his family. I know his wife and daughter went to every game, home and away to support him. They're good people, any college football program would be fortunate to have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I don't know if that's 100% true. I think its more fair to say they don't prioritize football. Honestly, I don't know how one can have football be a priority (as one school would say, Tier 1) while also having Division 1 football. That's a whole lotta men's roster spots for a school struggling to maintain 3,200 students and just 40% men. They certainly can step up their fundraising and revenue generation. If Northwest Missouri State can fully-fund football in a town of 11,000 then Lock Haven can do much better than 4.5 full scholarships in a town of 9,000.

Side note: the only schools to "play up" in Division 1 wrestling are all in PA: Bloomsburg, Clarion, Edinboro, Franklin & Marshall, and Lock Haven.
              Northwest Missouri also has the benefit of using funding from the state government to fund scholarships, if I'm not mistaken. And, considering that they stretch their recruiting net outside of Metro KC into Iowa and Chicago, amid Central Missouri and some of the Kansas MIAA schools which also have had success in recent years, that gives NWMo an advantage over the Lock Haven's of the world.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

While LH is in the shadows of State College I think with the right hire, proper alumni support and a booster program that can generate $$ to boost scholarships LH can be at least a mid tier PSAC East program. Kids these days who end up at D2 are looking to compete for PT, compete for a conference championship and a regional title while having to pay as little as possible for school. The coach they need will probably turn down the job without a real serious commitment to upgrading the program and fully supporting it with practice facilities/stadium upgrades and scholarship increases needed to attract the better talent. The conference can also do LH a favor by scheduling their home games the weeks PSU is on the road so the locals aren't traveling to State College rather than watching the Bald Eagles play.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                  While LH is in the shadows of State College I think with the right hire, proper alumni support and a booster program that can generate $$ to boost scholarships LH can be at least a mid tier PSAC East program. Kids these days who end up at D2 are looking to compete for PT, compete for a conference championship and a regional title while having to pay as little as possible for school. The coach they need will probably turn down the job without a real serious commitment to upgrading the program and fully supporting it with practice facilities/stadium upgrades and scholarship increases needed to attract the better talent. The conference can also do LH a favor by scheduling their home games the weeks PSU is on the road so the locals aren't traveling to State College rather than watching the Bald Eagles play.
                  If Slippery Rock can be as good as they are with just 18 full scholarships then Lock Haven could be fairly competitive with 10-12.

I don't think your statement is fair to the rest of the conference - plus the schedule is made two years at a time two years ahead of schedule. I'm not sure PSU's schedule is that concrete. I think Lock Haven could do themselves a small favor and adjust start times based on Penn State's.

Comment

Head coach at Concord also resigned

Comment

Originally posted by BloomGuy View Post

Lock Haven beat Bloomsburg in 2016 and 2017....
                      That says as much about the way Bloomsburg played in those games as it did about Lock Haven. The 2017 LHU team went 2-9. The 2016 record of 4-7 was the best they've had in the last decade. Mostly it's been 2-9 with a 1-10 and an 0-10 season thrown in a few years ago. That is not playing competitive football.

Comment

I still smell a few more changes to PSAC coaches.......

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                          Very tough job to fill with any sort of quality candidate unless you can find a hot HS coach who wants to make some extra money for a few years.
                          Yes, I'll be curious to see how "national" this "national search" is.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

Its already advertised nationally so they have that going for them. I imagine its hit some of the football coaching carousel gossip sites too.

Comment

Originally posted by jrshooter View Post

They have a history of conducting wide-open national searches for HC's in all sports.

In the past several years they even had open forums with the community for the bigger coaching jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Actually, LHU is the only NCAA school that "plays up" in 2 different sports. 2 D1 sports but it is the smallest PASSHE football-playing school. Of the PSAC D1 Wrestling schools LHU is the closest to Title IX compliance. Edinboro and Bloom have been in trouble in that area. As far as I know it hasn't been a contentious issue at Clarion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X