Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's certainly a good idea. In theory, the Triple Option also eats up a lot of clock -- so long as you can keep the chains moving. The more you're on offense the less you're on defense.

Lock Haven reminds me a lot of Moneyball (movie or book). You'd have to think differently to win there. As stated above you have to find the players overlooked for one reason or another.

The Triple Option or Veer helps even the odds. It gives you an offense nobody ever sees in the PSAC. Teams can't prepare for it in a week -- well, it's very difficult, anyway.

As is, Lock Haven is the last dog to the recruiting bowl.

It's worth a shot. Nobody is going to win there trying to play the big boys straight up.
    I agree though with throwing big money at unique opportunities for skill positions. Go find some guys who want to study a unique major to Lock Haven. I used to have a coworker who went to Lock Haven from suburban Pittsburgh. She said its a much better student experience than we'd assume.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
      I don't know anything about anything, but if I was Lock Haven, this is what I'd do:
      • Hire someone who has been a head coach before and who has a defensive background.
      • Have him hire an OC who has a background in the Triple Option or something of that nature.
      • Have your HC be your DC.
      • Take your limited scholarship money and put it into the best QB you can find who ran your offense in high school. If he's out of state, get him anyway. Money shouldn't be a consideration on this.
      • Put a few dollars into a serviceable backup because your QB is going to take a beating.
      • Put the rest of your money into linemen on both sides of the ball. You can get all the 5-10, 180-pound RBs and 5-11, 200-pound LBs you need locally.
      • On defense, don't do anything risky. Play a simple base and try to keep things in front of you. Be competitive on the line of scrimmage. Stress fundamentals like tackling and leverage.
      • Basic philosophy should be to run the ball and eat the clock on offense and limit the big plays on defense. Don't let games get out of hand.
      Funny. Realistic, but funny.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Smith I could see. Gregory, not even close.
        Gregory to Boro would be a great hire....would not be surprised at all....just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Gregory to Boro would be a great hire....would not be surprised at all....just sayin
          After Saturday can he take Jim with him?

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

If Slippery Rock can be as good as they are with just 18 full scholarships then Lock Haven could be fairly competitive with 10-12.

I don't think your statement is fair to the rest of the conference - plus the schedule is made two years at a time two years ahead of schedule. I'm not sure PSU's schedule is that concrete. I think Lock Haven could do themselves a small favor and adjust start times based on Penn State's.
            18 come again, they had that amount 10 years ago, way ahead of that now...
            just sayin

Comment

Yep. No big uglies and no wins. That simple.
              Yes IUP has had a laundry list of great backs and receivers, but the great years can be traced to dominating OL and DL years 2012 and 2017 for sure....just sayin

Comment

As you may recall, they were mad Lock Haven hired away a sitting D2 head coach and had the nerve to pay him a competitive salary.
                LH Job no hope, winning season would be only happen if they played in a bad league so rule that out just got tougher with SU replacing Cheyney...Boro job there is hope, can get NY kids and most of PA and dip into Maryland..dont forget Tepper won there and he was an awful Coach...just sayin

Comment

Haven named an interim HC, so he may have the inside track.

Comment

18 come again, they had that amount 10 years ago, way ahead of that now...
                    just sayin
                    In 17-18 they reported just over 18. I'd be surprised if they're much further.

Comment

LH Job no hope, winning season would be only happen if they played in a bad league so rule that out just got tougher with SU replacing Cheyney...Boro job there is hope, can get NY kids and most of PA and dip into Maryland..dont forget Tepper won there and he was an awful Coach...just sayin
                      "Awful coach" who won COY three times. He has to be the only coach to win it at different schools unless maybe Hale. Tepper also had 30% more scholarships in 05 than Bradford had in 19. Go figure.

Comment

After Saturday can he take Jim with him?
                        I doubt they end up leaving IUP.
                        Last edited by EdinboroFB; 11-25-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bart View Post
                          Haven named an interim HC, so he may have the inside track.
                          Means nothing somebody has to be I. Charge...

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                            The point of the running the triple option....is because you cant win recruiting battles. So you have to recruit guys that fit the system that you can get. That's why the service academies run it. And the point if LH were to do it.
                            That's the point I was trying to make. Schools like Lock Haven can't compete with the big boys by doing what the big boys do. They need to do something different. I just think for the Tripple Option or wishbone or whatever they would run, they would need to get good linemen over good skill players.

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                            Too much ball control and not enough speed gets you mercyhurst and Bloom offensive production.
                            True, but we're talking about a Lock Haven program that hasn't had a winning season since I was in second grade, and I'm now 45. LHU would probably throw a parade if they had a 6-5 season. They need to start small and make annual progress. I'm not offering a plan to win a national championship. I'm suggesting a way they could be competitive instead of 1-10.
                            http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

In 17-18 they reported just over 18. I'd be surprised if they're much further.
                              Starting with the 2018-19 school year, there has been a change in the way scholarship equivalencies get reported. On old reports, there was a second column called "total accountable aid" that is not mandatory to report anymore, according to a recent D2 policy change.

The newest scholarship report does not include the "total accountable aid," so the numbers are down from where they used to be.

SRU reported 18.10 in 2017-18 and 15.36 in 2018-19.

http://www.indianagazette.com
                              www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Starting with the 2018-19 school year, there has been a change in the way scholarship equivalencies get reported. On old reports, there was a second column called "total accountable aid" that is not mandatory to report anymore, according to a recent D2 policy change.

The newest scholarship report does not include the "total accountable aid," so the numbers are down from where they used to be.

SRU reported 18.10 in 2017-18 and 15.36 in 2018-19.
                                Whoa that's a big decrease unless in 17 they got a big one-time donation. The continual tuition increases have eroded a lot of our scholarship totals but also the switch to much more expensive new housing on campus. Put those football player in the nasty old dorms and save money!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X