Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Keep in mind that LH had 2 QB's and they rotated in their up-tempo offense. The other is Ethan Persa who started in 2018 when Knight was out all year. I think Persa could be better in a more traditional offense. They are both in the same class, rising RS-Jr's. Plus, if he stays, they had a pretty good freshman on the roster in Ocker.

I'm not in the business of telling these kids what to do but I think Knight could be making a mistake when you consider the big picture. I'm sure he's frustrated and believes the grass is greener on the other side. IMO, Knight is more of a RB than a QB and I think he will have to compete for his role at Clarion. The other thing I see is that he is a Sports Administration major. He will not find a Sports Administration program on LH's level at Clarion. LHU's program is better and graduates have better connections upon graduation.

Also, Jalen Jackson is mentioned as a potential transfer. He has one year of eligibility left. If he transfers to another school he might have trouble finding a place as a 6'0" TE. Just sayin',

I would anticipate players deciding to leave LH. IMO, they should make their choice carefully.

Apparently, one of the things the new coach will have to do is instill a sense of optimism for the LH program.
    I think it depends on what he wants to do. If he wants to get into what is sometimes called "exercise science" then LHU is the choice but if he wants to do something in the sports business industry, then Clarion has the better reputed business program.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think it depends on what he wants to do. If he wants to get into what is sometimes called "exercise science" then LHU is the choice but if he wants to do something in the sports business industry, then Clarion has the better reputed business program.
      I understand what you're saying about Clarion's general business school but in terms of the specialized Sports Administration I don't agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Keep in mind that LH had 2 QB's and they rotated in their up-tempo offense. The other is Ethan Persa who started in 2018 when Knight was out all year. I think Persa could be better in a more traditional offense. They are both in the same class, rising RS-Jr's. Plus, if he stays, they had a pretty good freshman on the roster in Ocker.

I'm not in the business of telling these kids what to do but I think Knight could be making a mistake when you consider the big picture. I'm sure he's frustrated and believes the grass is greener on the other side. IMO, Knight is more of a RB than a QB and I think he will have to compete for his role at Clarion. The other thing I see is that he is a Sports Administration major. He will not find a Sports Administration program on LH's level at Clarion. LHU's program is better and graduates have better connections upon graduation.

Also, Jalen Jackson is mentioned as a potential transfer. He has one year of eligibility left. If he transfers to another school he might have trouble finding a place as a 6'0" TE. Just sayin',

I would anticipate players deciding to leave LH. IMO, they should make their choice carefully.

Apparently, one of the things the new coach will have to do is instill a sense of optimism for the LH program.
        Knight leaving is huge. The new coach will need more than optimism. He will need TALENT! More players will likely leave. And who, in PA has even heard of the HC? Recruiting just got tougher. But, LHU loves them some MEC coaches. The MEC is a JV League compared to the PSAC. So, LHU keeps hiring JV coaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

Knight leaving is huge. The new coach will need more than optimism. He will need TALENT! More players will likely leave. And who, in PA has even heard of the HC? Recruiting just got tougher. But, LHU loves them some MEC coaches. The MEC is a JV League compared to the PSAC. So, LHU keeps hiring JV coaches.
          The PSAC is a middling conference, it's not the SEC. The PSAC is only a larger conference that is it (16 teams to 10), otherwise the PSAC is just as bad. And to add to that, other than Concord, nobody from the JV league has been embarrassed like the PSAC routinely gets on the national stage in the semi's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

The PSAC is a middling conference, it's not the SEC. The PSAC is only a larger conference that is it (16 teams to 10), otherwise the PSAC is just as bad. And to add to that, other than Concord, nobody from the JV league has been embarrassed like the PSAC routinely gets on the national stage in the semi's.
            Perhaps. But, many times the PSAC has been in the Semi's. #WhereistheMEC

Comment

In the finals 3 years ago?

Comment

Sorry, the Mountain East just isn't that inferior when put up against the PSAC. Quite comparable.

Comment

2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Go look at those playoff years results. The PSAC had a very weak decade, if were being honest.

Comment

2010, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018. Go look at those playoff years results. The PSAC had a very weak decade, if were being honest.
                    Depth-wise, it's not even close. There is no denying the MEC has routinely had one very strong team per year as the results show. It's the age-old argument ... the one big MEC team steam-rolled everybody else in the regular season. Case in point the years the MEC got two teams in to the playoffs. IUP went to Charleston and Fairmont State in the playoffs and curb-stomped both of those 'second place' teams in their stadiums. Freaking East Stroudsburg went down and won at a second-place MEC team's stadium two years ago prior to finishing near the East cellar. It's been an extremely top-heavy league. I buy the fact their top team is very strong. The rest ... not buying it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Depth-wise, it's not even close. There is no denying the MEC has routinely had one very strong team per year as the results show. It's the age-old argument ... the one big MEC team steam-rolled everybody else in the regular season. Case in point the years the MEC got two teams in to the playoffs. IUP went to Charleston and Fairmont State in the playoffs and curb-stomped both of those 'second place' teams in their stadiums. Freaking East Stroudsburg went down and won at a second-place MEC team's stadium two years ago prior to finishing near the East cellar. It's been an extremely top-heavy league. I buy the fact their top team is very strong. The rest ... not buying it.
                      Yep, a lot of those teams also were just getting their feet wet as well with the playoff season, so a veteran program used to the playoff atmosphere like IUP comes and they are better prepared. It usually took a quarter or so of "hanging on for dear life" and hoping it hadn't got out of hand even for Shepherd sometimes, because the physicality was much different then the regular season schedule. Obviously it got out of hand quickly. That year that IUP smack Fairmont down there, Fairmont took Shepherd all the way to the wire @ shepherd too. Shepherd won the region that year.

I'm not buying the consistent superiority complex of some of our PSAC supporters. Calling a conference that has performed on the playoff field with their representative(s) better than our own conference has for the last decade, a JV league is just something that drives me nuts to read.

Comment

Yep, a lot of those teams also were just getting their feet wet as well with the playoff season, so a veteran program used to the playoff atmosphere like IUP comes and they are better prepared. It usually took a quarter or so of "hanging on for dear life" and hoping it hadn't got out of hand even for Shepherd sometimes, because the physicality was much different then the regular season schedule. Obviously it got out of hand quickly. That year that IUP smack Fairmont down there, Fairmont took Shepherd all the way to the wire @ shepherd too. Shepherd won the region that year.

I'm not buying the consistent superiority complex of some of our PSAC supporters. Calling a conference that has performed on the playoff field with their representative(s) better than our own conference has for the last decade, a JV league is just something that drives me nuts to read.
                        Obviously take some comments with a grain of salt. That's why the PSAC snatched up Shepherd. Keep in mind, too, many on this board think the PSAC is a national football powerhouse and the equivalent to the D1 SEC. Those in the know ... know that's not the case. There's a reason SR1, national view, is seen as the bye week in the Final Four. SRU losing by about 500 points this year just added fuel to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Obviously take some comments with a grain of salt. That's why the PSAC snatched up Shepherd. Keep in mind, too, many on this board think the PSAC is a national football powerhouse and the equivalent to the D1 SEC. Those in the know ... know that's not the case. There's a reason SR1, national view, is seen as the bye week in the Final Four. SRU losing by about 500 points this year just added fuel to it.
                          Agreed, the ones who've been around the block know who we are in the pecking order as a conference.

I feel its coming though, I think were going to get a breakthrough from one of our teams on the national stage here soon enough.

Comment

• I don't know if this muddies the picture or what, but my take on the whole "which league was better in the 2010s" is this ...

If I were to subjectively rank all 44 teams in the region, based on my perception of overall strength from 2010 to 2019, it would be something like this:

1 -- Shepherd
                            2-10-ish -- A bunch of PSAC teams
                            11-15ish -- The steady winners: Assumption, Findlay, New Haven, etc.
                            16-20ish -- Those brief glimpses like Notre Dame, Tiffin, Concord, Fairmont, Charleston, etc.
                            20-23ish -- the rest of the PSAC, minus Cheyney, Lock Haven and Millersville
                            24-35ish -- The also rans: Glenville, West Liberty, AIC, SCSU, etc.
                            36-44 -- Millersville, Lock Haven, Pace, Kentucky Wesleyan, Seton Hill, Cheyney, etc.

http://www.indianagazette.com
                            www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                                I don't know if this muddies the picture or what, but my take on the whole "which league was better in the 2010s" is this ...

If I were to subjectively rank all 44 teams in the region, based on my perception of overall strength from 2010 to 2019, it would be something like this:

1 -- Shepherd
                                2-10-ish -- A bunch of PSAC teams
                                11-15ish -- The steady winners: Assumption, Findlay, New Haven, etc.
                                16-20ish -- Those brief glimpses like Notre Dame, Tiffin, Concord, Fairmont, Charleston, etc.
                                20-23ish -- the rest of the PSAC, minus Cheyney, Lock Haven and Millersville
                                24-35ish -- The also rans: Glenville, West Liberty, AIC, SCSU, etc.
                                36-44 -- Millersville, Lock Haven, Pace, Kentucky Wesleyan, Seton Hill, Cheyney, etc.

Slow day at work...

I did a quick tally on essentially round participated in for the playoffs, thinking that is ultimately what the consideration is for a successful season. How far did you go? Each round of participation earns a tally. Came out like this:

1. Shepherd- 20 pts
                                2. IUP- 14 pts
                                3. Rock- 12 pts
                                4. West Chester- 10 pts
                                5. Bloomsburg- 8 pts
                                6. California- 7 pts
                                6. Kutztown- 7 pts
                                6. New Haven- 7 pts
                                6. Notre Dame- 7 pts
                                10. Assumption- 6 pts
                                11. Concord- 5 pts
                                12. Mercyhurst- 3 pts
                                12. Shippensburg- 3 pts
                                14. Findlay- 2 pts
                                14. Hillsdale- 2 pts
                                16. American International- 1 pt
                                16. Charleston- 1 pt
                                16. Fairmont St- 1 pt
                                16. Tiffin- 1 pt

Didn't include teams not presently in the region such as Winston Salem (12 pts) or CW Post (4 pts), etc. Think this rings pretty accurate for how the decade went.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X