Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Actually, LHU is the only NCAA school that "plays up" in 2 different sports. 2 D1 sports but it is the smallest PASSHE football-playing school. Of the PSAC D1 Wrestling schools LHU is the closest to Title IX compliance. Edinboro and Bloom have been in trouble in that area. As far as I know it hasn't been a contentious issue at Clarion.

Suspect the TAYLOR era administration may have a good deal to do with Title IX compliance at LHU.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
      And the the dormant IUP Angry Mob implements of destruction used by the Lock Haven Angry Mob have been returned safely to the Flemming St. tool shed. Word has it that the Lock Haven Angry mob was commended for cleaning, buffing, and polishing the bludgeoning implements of destruction, and cleaning, buffing, polishing, AND sharping the pointed ones. Also, all touches were returned with new torch heads and new cans of torch fluid. The dormant IUP Angry Mob was so impressed with the returned condition of the implements of destruction, that they have included the steps used by the Lock Haven Angry mob in a re-write of the IUP Angry Mob Weapons of Destruction Rental Agreement.
      You mean to tell me lock haven even has an angry mob? I mean come on. What are they upset about, thirty years of losing, they should be used to it now. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Tdobson View Post

You mean to tell me lock haven even has an angry mob? I mean come on. What are they upset about, thirty years of losing, they should be used to it now. Lol
        As you may recall, they were mad Lock Haven hired away a sitting D2 head coach and had the nerve to pay him a competitive salary.

Comment

I don't know anything about anything, but if I was Lock Haven, this is what I'd do:
          • Hire someone who has been a head coach before and who has a defensive background.
          • Have him hire an OC who has a background in the Triple Option or something of that nature.
          • Have your HC be your DC.
          • Take your limited scholarship money and put it into the best QB you can find who ran your offense in high school. If he's out of state, get him anyway. Money shouldn't be a consideration on this.
          • Put a few dollars into a serviceable backup because your QB is going to take a beating.
          • Put the rest of your money into linemen on both sides of the ball. You can get all the 5-10, 180-pound RBs and 5-11, 200-pound LBs you need locally.
          • On defense, don't do anything risky. Play a simple base and try to keep things in front of you. Be competitive on the line of scrimmage. Stress fundamentals like tackling and leverage.
          • Basic philosophy should be to run the ball and eat the clock on offense and limit the big plays on defense. Don't let games get out of hand.
          http://www.indianagazette.com
          www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
            I don't know anything about anything, but if I was Lock Haven, this is what I'd do:
            • Hire someone who has been a head coach before and who has a defensive background.
            • Have him hire an OC who has a background in the Triple Option or something of that nature.
            • Take your limited scholarship money and put it into the best QB you can find who ran your offense in high school. If he's out of state, get him anyway. Money shouldn't be a consideration on this.
            • Put a few dollars into a serviceable backup because your QB is going to take a beating.
            • Put the rest of your money into linemen on both sides of the ball. You can get all the 5-10, 180-pound RBs and 5-11, 200-pound LBs you need locally.
            • On defense, don't do anything risky. Play a simple base and try to keep things in front of you. Be competitive on the line of scrimmage. Stress fundamentals like tackling and leverage.
            • Basic philosophy should be to run the ball and eat the clock on offense and limit the big plays on defense. Don't let games get out of hand.
            Sounds straight forward enough if you can get 50-75 D2 quality players to spend 4 years along the West Branch in rustic Clinton county for 3-4 years which seems to be something of a challenge.

Comment

Comment

That's an interesting thought. The triple option. Only thing I would maybe change is put most of the money into speed skill players and recruit all the 5-11 to 6-1 230 to 260 lb strongest quickest lineman that nobody else wants. If you can score...you can win. Playmakers can win with average players in a lot of spots. IMO.

Comment

CONGRATS! To LHU for getting rid of former "Coach" Taynor... By any measure by which a coach can be measured he failed to measure up:
                  Wins and Losses... Obvious Fail
                  Ability to retain players... Obvious Fail
                  Ability to hire and retain good Assistant Coaches... Obvious Fail
                  ETC...
                  The only thing consistent was lopsided loses and more than numerous excuses as to why he couldn't field a more competitive team, excuses that never demonstrated any level of his ownership in the fact that he was hired to run and develop the program! Instead it was: I don't have the funding, the Asistant Coaches or Players to be competitive... ALL Things that a "Head Coach" is responsible for controlling and developing! There all listed in the Damn Job Description and Responsibilities of the position!

Comment

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                    I would maybe change is put most of the money into speed skill players and recruit all the 5-11 to 6-1 230 to 260 lb strongest quickest lineman that nobody else wants.
                    If nobody else wants them, why would you?

Originally posted by EdinboroFB View Post
                    Playmakers can win with average players in a lot of spots. IMO.
                    I can't disagree more with this. Take a look around at any level of football and find a team that wins consistently without a good OL or DL or both. That's why they should put their money into that. If you have a good OL and a good DL, you have a chance. If you don't ... you don't.

http://www.indianagazette.com
                    www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

I can't disagree more with this. Take a look around at any level of football and find a team that wins consistently without a good OL or DL or both. That's why they should put their money into that. If you have a good OL and a good DL, you have a chance. If you don't ... you don't.

Comment

Yep. No big uglies and no wins. That simple.

Comment

The point of the running the triple option....is because you cant win recruiting battles. So you have to recruit guys that fit the system that you can get. That's why the service academies run it. And the point if LH were to do it.

And even the spread option eveining the playing field was because it's not going against 4 and 5 star lineman in a phone booth anymore.

Too much ball control and not enough speed gets you mercyhurst and Bloom offensive production.

Comment

I bet Navy has most if not all guys not even Pitt "wanted"

Comment

I agree with you EdinboroFB - but what would be the plan on defense? Lean and mean doesn't work well most other offenses are recruiting hogs to support air raid and spread offenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
                                I agree with you EdinboroFB - but what would be the plan on defense? Lean and mean doesn't work well most other offenses are recruiting hogs to support air raid and spread offenses.

It's certainly a good idea. In theory, the Triple Option also eats up a lot of clock -- so long as you can keep the chains moving. The more you're on offense the less you're on defense.

Lock Haven reminds me a lot of Moneyball (movie or book). You'd have to think differently to win there. As stated above you have to find the players overlooked for one reason or another.

The Triple Option or Veer helps even the odds. It gives you an offense nobody ever sees in the PSAC. Teams can't prepare for it in a week -- well, it's very difficult, anyway.

As is, Lock Haven is the last dog to the recruiting bowl.

It's worth a shot. Nobody is going to win there trying to play the big boys straight up.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X