Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Div III could have some great options for coaches. I just think there are a few on the list of applicants that have been overlooked for some strange reason. And, mind you-2 connected with Westminster is Fishy at best! Lotza conclusions and connections to draw on that one! (especially with one of them supposedly being only part time at IUP) Now there is a jump and promotion---part time to Edinboro FB Head Coach! Can anyone confirm that part time status?

Comment

Originally posted by BoroLetterman1 View Post
      Div III could have some great options for coaches. I just think there are a few on the list of applicants that have been overlooked for some strange reason. And, mind you-2 connected with Westminster is Fishy at best! Lotza conclusions and connections to draw on that one! (especially with one of them supposedly being only part time at IUP) Now there is a jump and promotion---part time to Edinboro FB Head Coach! Can anyone confirm that part time status?
      Not sure what's "fishy at best." Benzel coached Nulph at RMU, then brought him on at both St. Francis and Westminster. Maybe some of yours didn't impress during their interview?

According to the public employee database, Nulph is currently part time at IUP. I can't hold that against him without knowing the circumstances.

You obviously have insider information. If you're getting info from inside McComb then you know who's on the committee. Ask them instead of jumping to conclusions on here.

Comment

fightingScot-why do you always sounds so condescending and tell people what to do? This is a discussion board Not about you knowing everything all the time and trying to override others who know more. Its discussion.....and I can ask where I want!

Comment

I believe some people call it debate. You say something. I counter.

If you know names of applicants who didn't make the final cut then you know people on the committee. I suggest you ask them because they chose the four finalists.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

UH, West Chester has always won. No matter who coached there. Doesn't matter if a coach came from D3. You win anyway because of location.
            And Cheyney is only 5 miles away.

Comment

UH, West Chester has always won. No matter who coached there. Doesn't matter if a coach came from D3. You win anyway because of location.
              West Chester gets the best walk-ons money can buy. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Comment

I cant see how Benzel doesnt get the job. He's winning at Westminster when I didnt think anyone could ever win there again. 43-21 overall. I didnt go look but I would think it was at least double digit seasons since theyd had a winning season before he showed up. He graduated from Mercyhurst. Is a wpial guy. Boro still has to recruit the WPIAL. Be nice to get NE Ohio and WNY again but not sure of how much its possible.. to do it much anymore. He has already recruited a similar quailty of player to the psac with being in the NEC. Seems like a no brainer to me. He brought a lot of florida kids to westminster. So he looked for a way to get it done at a place that wasnt when he showed up.

Regardless of the personal degrees of separation from anyone at Edinboro. I dont see that being why he is on the list of finalsts. Seems the most qualified. Much more than jump around professional position coach types. IMO.
                Last edited by EdinboroFB; 01-09-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post

And Cheyney is only 5 miles away.
                  Obviously I was referencing West Chester's location in the statement. The post was about West Chester's success. While Mansfield dropped football, it appears maybe they had dropped Admissions requirements also. The last 3 West Chester coaches did quite well and won championships. Danny Hale, Rick Daniels, Bill Zwaan. I will spare you and not go all the way back to Glenn Killinger.

Comment

Obviously I was referencing West Chester's location in the statement. The post was about West Chester's success. While Mansfield dropped football, it appears maybe they had dropped Admissions requirements also. The last 3 West Chester coaches did quite well and won championships. Danny Hale, Rick Daniels, Bill Zwaan. I will spare you and not go all the way back to Glenn Killinger.
                    You're confusing me. You attributed WCU's football success to "location", did you not?

Horror Child essentially blew a hole in your argument by noting that Cheyney is virtually in the same location. Your point?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

You're confusing me. You attributed WCU's football success to "location", did you not?

Horror Child essentially blew a hole in your argument by noting that Cheyney is virtually in the same location. Your point?
                      The initial discussion involved D3 coaches , and pointed out zwann, and I simply stated that everybody has won there, wherever they coached before, and location is a big part of West Chester's success Cheyney has never had consistent winning no matter where their coaches came from, in complete contrast to WCU. So it's not the fact that people are coming from D3, it's the school they're going to. Cleared up???

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

The initial discussion involved D3 coaches , and pointed out zwann, and I simply stated that everybody has won there, wherever they coached before, and location is a big part of West Chester's success Cheyney has never had consistent winning no matter where their coaches came from, in complete contrast to WCU. So it's not the fact that people are coming from D3, it's the school they're going to. Cleared up???
                        I an interested in knowing what you would do to revive the LHU program. You are very critical of how the hiring process was handled. You don't seem to like the coaching decision, although I'm pretty sure to outsiders it looks like a good hire for LHU.

What would you do differently?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

West Chester gets the best walk-ons money can buy. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

priceless!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty Harry View Post

It's all money. Lock Haven could have hired Urban Meyer. He'd be canned in three years, too. If coaches are judged on wins and losses ... it's a dead end job.

You cannot get good players without money. If you don't have it to offer ... be it athletic money or academic money ... you have no chance. None. You'll have a roster of, excuse the term, sloppy seconds. You find a diamond or two in the rough ... they enter the portal. How in the world are you as a new coach supposed to compete with IUP, Cal, SRU (the athletic money) or the academic money of the West Chester's, etc.? You can't. The PSAC isn't designed for parity. This is MLB. Perhaps worse.

To really do it ... you'd need a minimum 5 years. The coach would have to be an incredible fundraiser. It's like the Pirates trying to compete in baseball.

That's the reality of the situation there and at several other schools in the league. People don't like to talk about it ... but it's true. Why has every coach failed there for what seems like ever? It's not a coincidence. It's not bad luck.

Players win games. Talent wins games. You have to buy them.

Comment

It's all money. Lock Haven could have hired Urban Meyer. He'd be canned in three years, too. If coaches are judged on wins and losses ... it's a dead end job.

You cannot get good players without money. If you don't have it to offer ... be it athletic money or academic money ... you have no chance. None. You'll have a roster of, excuse the term, sloppy seconds. You find a diamond or two in the rough ... they enter the portal. How in the world are you as a new coach supposed to compete with IUP, Cal, SRU (the athletic money) or the academic money of the West Chester's, etc.? You can't. The PSAC isn't designed for parity. This is MLB. Perhaps worse.

To really do it ... you'd need a minimum 5 years. The coach would have to be an incredible fundraiser. It's like the Pirates trying to compete in baseball.

That's the reality of the situation there and at several other schools in the league. People don't like to talk about it ... but it's true. Why has every coach failed there for what seems like ever? It's not a coincidence. It's not bad luck.

Agree. I honestly think the programs fighting for their division at best need to think old-school: find the right person to lead the program and give them all the time they want unless they become a performance issue. Everybody can't have a winning record and the coach could do the absolute best job possible in that environment and be (unfairly) canned because he's not winning at .750. A lot of schools paying "athletic fundraising" staff and not really raising additional scholarship dollars.

Comment

Totally Agree!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X