Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So...how did Shepherd do?

Personally I think for a school playing for the first time in a tough conference and going 9-2 and finishing tied for 3rd place is pretty damn good. What do you think? Did they meet expectations, exceed expectations, or disappoint?

I believe Shepherd did as well as I expected them to do this year with a new conference and playing a tougher conference schedule. They split with the top dogs (WCU/Kutztown) and found a way to beat rival Shippensburg which was what they needed to get a playoff berth. They'll give IUP a run for their money this Saturday for sure. Going forward it'll be interesting to see if they keep their recruiting base in the DMV or do they venture more into PA to steal talent away from Ship, Cal, IUP, WCU and Kutztown.

Comment

Hopefully you learn to like the PSAC. Its good football if you like fairly evenly-matched teams.

Comment

I don't see any reason for venturing into PA for recruiting. Yea maybe a few here and there, but the DMV needs to stay as their recruiting base. They have added pockets of SC and Delaware throughout the years. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I would think its a waste of time/money to try and recruit PA with how much competition there is.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick - Shep '05 View Post
          Personally I think for a school playing for the first time in a tough conference and going 9-2 and finishing tied for 3rd place is pretty damn good. What do you think? Did they meet expectations, exceed expectations, or disappoint?
          I think they meet expectations with the Home/Away schedule they had this year -- I had them losing 3 (not including playoffs) this year. With a pretty brutal away schedule next year
          (at - Ohio Dominican, KU, Ship, WC, ES and SR), it will be interesting to see if they can step up or if they 'meet' expectations again.

Obviously, it won't be the same group of players next year at Shepherd or these other schools they play on the road, but I think just looking at the schools themselves and how they've done over the years, this will be by far the toughest schedule (prior to playoffs) they have played.

Comment

I like that it sorta evens the logjam for the top 3-4 spots the West has had for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
              I believe Shepherd did as well as I expected them to do this year with a new conference and playing a tougher conference schedule. They split with the top dogs (WCU/Kutztown) and found a way to beat rival Shippensburg which was what they needed to get a playoff berth. They'll give IUP a run for their money this Saturday for sure. Going forward it'll be interesting to see if they keep their recruiting base in the DMV or do they venture more into PA to steal talent away from Ship, Cal, IUP, WCU and Kutztown.
              About as expected given that they had a less difficult x-over schedule with MC and CLARION. They did well to avoid the slip-ups (FSU, UVA-WISE) that marked their last MEC season with wins over MC, SHIP and BLOOM that were close but wins. Going forward their '20 and '21 schedules are moderately difficult but nothing that will prevent them from being in contention for both the STATE GAME and PO.
              Saturday at IUP will be informative versus the first of the WEST three they've faced. Mid 40s with 80% chance of rain adds an unplanable factor into the game but it should be a good one.
              They certainly should be in the PA market if they haven't been already. It will be tough given the other teams longstanding, if not lifelong, relationships with large areas of the state. But it is fertile ground and SHEP certainly has a lot to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                Shepherd has been milking the DMV for as long as I can remember - played back in the 80's. They need to tap into PA/OH if they intend to stay competitive (heck, they have more guys from SC then PA -- smells like a recruiter took a family vaca to Myrtle Beach) - Bowie St. with their success of late has been stealing away some of the better recruits Shepherd has targeted as well - also, there has been a huge push from the other MEC teams to target the DMV as well since Shepherd was having so much success with the area. Personally, I would go down 81 and hit more of the Richmond/Tidewater/Hampton Roads areas. Tons of talent that do their best to avoid Virginia State and Virginia Union - looking to get out these areas and many either head further South to NC or go and play basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by nova2wv View Post

I think they meet expectations with the Home/Away schedule they had this year -- I had them losing 3 (not including playoffs) this year. With a pretty brutal away schedule next year
                  (at - Ohio Dominican, KU, Ship, WC, ES and SR), it will be interesting to see if they can step up or if they 'meet' expectations again.

Obviously, it won't be the same group of players next year at Shepherd or these other schools they play on the road, but I think just looking at the schools themselves and how they've done over the years, this will be by far the toughest schedule (prior to playoffs) they have played.
                  Yep, that's a rough road schedule. IUP at home is no gimmie either. Shepherd will have the talent to get 9 wins out of that schedule (maybe even 8 wins keeps them in contention), but it will be a much tougher ask than year 1. The first five games (@ODU, Gannon, IUP, @Kutz, @Ship) will shape what the second half of the season looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by nova2wv View Post
                    Personally, I would go down 81 and hit more of the Richmond/Tidewater/Hampton Roads areas. Tons of talent...
                    Like Ricky Schmitt.:wink:

Comment

Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post
                      I don't see any reason for venturing into PA for recruiting. Yea maybe a few here and there, but the DMV needs to stay as their recruiting base. They have added pockets of SC and Delaware throughout the years. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I would think its a waste of time/money to try and recruit PA with how much competition there is.
                      I have to agree. As long as the DMV is part of the Academic Common Market, I do NOT see Shepherd recruiting heavily elsewhere.
                      Last edited by ShoNuff; 11-22-2019, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I figured Shepherd for 9-2 or 8-3 this year. The 8-3 scenario was based on West Chester, Ship, and Bloom being better than they turned out to be (and, yes, I know West Chester made the playoffs).

Comment

Now that some of these horrible coaches, except Edinboro-he worked miracles with the injuries he suffered this year, the whole PSAC should be better in the next two years or so. Bottom Feeders most do better, at least be competitive.

Comment

I think Shepherd did as expected. They have a good chance to win on a Saturday. They have had our number.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony33 View Post
                              Now that some of these horrible coaches, except Edinboro-he worked miracles with the injuries he suffered this year, the whole PSAC should be better in the next two years or so. Bottom Feeders most do better, at least be competitive.
                              I think things are picking up league wide but more in the East than the West largely due to SHEP replacing CHEYNEY and ESU, SHIP and BLOOM working their way back. As recently as '13-'15 WCU, SHIP, BLOOM, ESU and KUTZ had consecutive years when they were all +.500 teams and if that happened again with the addition of SHEP it would be some unbelievable football. West is far behind because the bottom five have much farther to go. This past season although SRU brought the trophy to the West again, the EAST took the 24 game crossover series 14-10 and that promises to continue.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X