X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goalieman
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

To the best of my recall Haslett played DE and punter at IUP. He did play LB for the Bills (1979-mid '80s) and I believe at the very end for the Jets (1987) in the NFL.

-
    Haslett played both DE and LB during his IUP tenure and he did also punt ! ..... look near the bottom of each link below about him playing LB .....

https://iupathletics.com/news/2016.aspx5/6/25/FB_062515275 ..... (3rd paragraph from the bottom)

Last edited by goalieman; 07-06-2020, 08:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Word on Philly Street is IUP is actively seeking a graduate or experienced transfer at DB.
    WOW....that is some news there. They are seeking a vet. That "could" means one of their vet DBs are not coming back. Interesting news......

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by goalieman View Post

Some of these were more than 35 years ago .....

- Best two OL I saw at IUP were Chris Villarrial and Leander Jordan

- Best LB was Jim Haslett

- Best RB, Michael Mann

- Many excellent WR's including Jai Hill, Carmelo O'casio, Dave Smith, LeRon McCoy

- Best Athlete was Dave Smith

- My opinion on QB's - 1) Rich Ingold, 2) Brian Eyerman, 3-5) in no particular order, Lenny Williams, Tony Aluicci, Andrew Krewatch

ps- I saw all these players live.
    To the best of my recall Haslett played DE and punter at IUP. He did play LB for the Bills (1979-mid '80s) and I believe at the very end for the Jets (1987) in the NFL.

-

Leave a comment:

• goalieman
    replied
    The other thread (best players) got me thinking of Big Indians and Crimson Hawks teams. There's been a lot of really strong players come through Jimmy Stewartville in the past 35 years (and beyond).

I was thinking if you had to pick your starting lineup over the past 30 years ... not easy. RB is really deep. I suppose most would (correctly) take Michael Mann but there are several who could make a case -- Dennis Robinson, James Suber, Amir Dew, etc.

At QB do you take Brian Eyerman over an in-his-prime Lenny Williams? We just saw Maxwell have one of the great single seasons at the position. Several others in the mix, too.

WR has just been one star after another for decades. With two years to play Duane Brown may shatter some serious records -- at least single season records. Carmello Occasio was one of the better I've seen play here.

A few of us remember watching LeAnder Jordan play here on the line (Round 3 of 2000 NFL Draft). Talk about a man-child on this level.

The older era (weird to call 90s 'old' but nonetheless ... a lot of those guys were only here 1-2 years so they don't all show up in the records. Defensively I remember how strong guys like Roger Wilson, Barry Threats and Mike Borisenko were.
    Some of these were more than 35 years ago .....

- Best two OL I saw at IUP were Chris Villarrial and Leander Jordan

- Best LB was Jim Haslett

- Best RB, Michael Mann

- Many excellent WR's including Jai Hill, Carmelo O'casio, Dave Smith, LeRon McCoy

- Best Athlete was Dave Smith

- My opinion on QB's - 1) Rich Ingold, 2) Brian Eyerman, 3-5) in no particular order, Lenny Williams, Tony Aluicci, Andrew Krewatch

ps- I saw all these players live.

Leave a comment:

• Ballin51
    replied
    Very possible a DB not returning? Where you here that rumor?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Word on Philly Street is IUP is actively seeking a graduate or experienced transfer at DB.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

To the Horizon League in most sports, but the Big South for Football:

https://www.timesonline.com/sports/2...s-to-big-south
    MAC for women's lacrosse. Men's lax still looking for a home. Hockey unaffected.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    How about the bookends of Andrew Battle and Roger Wilson!

Tim Buffone at the nose.

Joey Flora and Barry Threats at the CB.

Borisenko and Damon Lloyd at LB.

James Jet Tillman and Jon Pancake at safety.
    (Johnny Franco)

Eyerman

Amir Dew and Mann

Ocasio, Duane Brown, LeRon McCoy, Jai Hill

Jon Jones at TE

So many names I could insert!!!
    Absolutely. I agree with all these selections. Of all the great RB's Mann and Dew were the most exciting to watch.

Jon Jones is probably the most underrated of IUP's greats.

I remember the play when Ocasio was injured which messed up his pro prospects.

I would add the late, great Rich Ingold to this list. It goes back in time but he was an incredible D2 QB. He got the ball rolling for the IUP renaissance. Plus, his supporting cast probably wasn't as good as in IUP's later years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    How about the bookends of Andrew Battle and Roger Wilson!

Tim Buffone at the nose.

Joey Flora and Barry Threats at the CB.

Borisenko and Damon Lloyd at LB.

James Jet Tillman and Jon Pancake at safety.
    (Johnny Franco)

Eyerman

Amir Dew and Mann

Ocasio, Duane Brown, LeRon McCoy, Jai Hill

Jon Jones at TE

So many names I could insert!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    The other thread (best players) got me thinking of Big Indians and Crimson Hawks teams. There's been a lot of really strong players come through Jimmy Stewartville in the past 35 years (and beyond).

I was thinking if you had to pick your starting lineup over the past 30 years ... not easy. RB is really deep. I suppose most would (correctly) take Michael Mann but there are several who could make a case -- Dennis Robinson, James Suber, Amir Dew, etc.

At QB do you take Brian Eyerman over an in-his-prime Lenny Williams? We just saw Maxwell have one of the great single seasons at the position. Several others in the mix, too.

WR has just been one star after another for decades. With two years to play Duane Brown may shatter some serious records -- at least single season records. Carmello Occasio was one of the better I've seen play here.

A few of us remember watching LeAnder Jordan play here on the line (Round 3 of 2000 NFL Draft). Talk about a man-child on this level.

The older era (weird to call 90s 'old' but nonetheless ... a lot of those guys were only here 1-2 years so they don't all show up in the records. Defensively I remember how strong guys like Roger Wilson, Barry Threats and Mike Borisenko were.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Bobby Mo is in such a tough spot being third-fiddle in what is already a poor college sports city.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied

Yes.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Did I see where RMU bailed on the NEC?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

• iupgroundhog
    replied

I don't think any actual IUP fans would call moving up the NEC a dream. Lol. But, it beats COVID-19 talk.
    Did I see where RMU bailed on the NEC?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post
    I think IUP would have trouble in the NEC. One is that they'd be just the second public school in the conference. Everyone else is using coupon codes in place of real scholarship dollars. Nobody really gets excited to see Shippensburg at the KCAC - they're surely not going to get excited to see St. Francis Brooklyn. Look at RMU's basketball attendance and you'll see that simply being D1 doesn't draw a noticeable increase. The second issue is that I don't think IUP has the money to take on a greatly increased travel budget. You're going from 60% of your travel being within 2 hours of campus to 90% of your travel being 5+ hours with a lot more overnights. That's probably the real nail in the coffin for this dream, especially given IUP's financial situation. Lastly, while they aren't anything special, the NEC still is an acceptable last resort to mid Atlantic shore AAU and private school powerhouses similar to how the PSAC is to WPIAL football coaches. As good of a coach as Joe is he's not the known quantity that some of the other NEC coaches are.
    I don't think any actual IUP fans would call moving up the NEC a dream. Lol. But, it beats COVID-19 talk.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X