Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Goes back to my same grumble: is the football game a job function of several university employees or is it a major community event that wants to attract the best possible crowd?
    But IUP is the only school who will play all night basketball games. And, that's even when the weather is typically bad for travel. They had more than double the next team's home attendance average this season (and by averaging more than 2,000 per game ... Joe out drew many (most) football teams in the league. In fact, Joe had a bigger gate than Tort more than once. He has the premier program at IUP right now (for a while now, actually). But, that's a different topic.

I don't think we're asking for 3 of 5 home games at night. But, at least one a year. The employees know what they are signing up for when they take the job. They can quit. Ticket takers, hot dog servers and ushers who don't 'ush' a thing aren't hard to replace. The staff can suck it up for a game.

Tort rambles all the time about wanting livlier crowds. List the last 10 lively crowds at Miller. A pattern may emerge.

Lordy, they spent a fortune updating those fancy new lights last year. That was a lot of money for Johnny Local to walk on the track on Tuesday night.

One night game a year. That's not asking much.

I still push for a yearly Thursday night game, too. Friday is off limits. The PSAC would never compete with the Yinzer WPIAL. Saturday has a lot of competition -- Pitt, PSU, WVU, OSU, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

But IUP is the only school who will play all night basketball games. And, that's even when the weather is typically bad for travel. They had more than double the next team's home attendance average this season (and by averaging more than 2,000 per game ... Joe out drew many (most) football teams in the league. In fact, Joe had a bigger gate than Tort more than once. He has the premier program at IUP right now (for a while now, actually). But, that's a different topic.

I don't think we're asking for 3 of 5 home games at night. But, at least one a year. The employees know what they are signing up for when they take the job. They can quit. Ticket takers, hot dog servers and ushers who don't 'ush' a thing aren't hard to replace. The staff can suck it up for a game.

Tort rambles all the time about wanting livlier crowds. List the last 10 lively crowds at Miller. A pattern may emerge.

Lordy, they spent a fortune updating those fancy new lights last year. That was a lot of money for Johnny Local to walk on the track on Tuesday night.

One night game a year. That's not asking much.

I still push for a yearly Thursday night game, too. Friday is off limits. The PSAC would never compete with the Yinzer WPIAL. Saturday has a lot of competition -- Pitt, PSU, WVU, OSU, etc.
      Just thinking about when I was in school, the only noon kicks that had any life were the 2012 PSAC Championship Game and the opener of the 2014 season when we had the Hawk's Nest firing on all cylinders. Otherwise... Nothing

My freshman year, the Thursday night game against Bloomsburg sticks out. But again, Thursday night. I wasn't at the game, but the 2015 Cal game played under the lights was said to be a great atmosphere. They're too concerned about always scheduling Cal and/or SRU for Homecoming most years (and I get that the point in the season when they play those two games every year is ideal for scheduling homecoming). I wish they would schedule an SRU game at night. They scheduled homecoming this year against SRU the same weekend that Pitt plays ND at home.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Just thinking about when I was in school, the only noon kicks that had any life were the 2012 PSAC Championship Game and the opener of the 2014 season when we had the Hawk's Nest firing on all cylinders. Otherwise... Nothing

My freshman year, the Thursday night game against Bloomsburg sticks out. But again, Thursday night. I wasn't at the game, but the 2015 Cal game played under the lights was said to be a great atmosphere. They're too concerned about always scheduling Cal and/or SRU for Homecoming most years (and I get that the point in the season when they play those two games every year is ideal for scheduling homecoming). I wish they would schedule an SRU game at night. They scheduled homecoming this year against SRU the same weekend that Pitt plays ND at home.
        Never understood that theory. Homecoming will be a big gate regardless who you play. Play a jabroni program on HC. You'll get big gates for Cal or SRU regardless the date.

Make HC againt an opponent who typically gets a terrible gate ... Clarion, SH, Boro.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
          Night games make a long day for the coaches. I don't think they particularly like 4pm or 6pm kicks let alone a night game.
          Well, boo freaking hoo. Let them go out and sell insurance then. It's a part of their job description to play the games when and wherever they may be. The good of the university and the community should supersede their own personal comfort and wishes.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

That first game of the 2014 season also featured the U.S. Army Golden Knights elite parachute team. They brought some people to the game as well.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That first game of the 2014 season also featured the U.S. Army Golden Knights elite parachute team. They brought some people to the game as well.

-
              I remember that game. St. Augustine's almost cancelled two days before over a lack of travel money.

Comment

• If I did a shot every time y'all took a thread and veered off on to kickoff times, I'd have been on the floor a long, long time ago.

Anyway ...

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
                They're too concerned about always scheduling Cal and/or SRU for Homecoming most years.
                Traditionally, IUP homecoming is almost always the first or second weekend of October. (Read on for the "almost" part).

The PSAC makes the football schedule, so IUP looks at the schedule, sees which of those weekends IUP is home, and you have homecoming. The only time that might not be true is if IUP is scheduled to be home both weeks (then IUP would choose, but I doubt it would be based solely on who the opponent is, since the Alumni office is really the ones driving that ship) or if IUP is away both weeks, and they have to find another weekend, like the third one in October.

Here are recent homeciming dates:
                2019: 10/5
                2018: 10/6
                2017: 10/7
                2016: 10/15 (Oct. 1 was first home game, which is always HoF weekend. First 3 games were away.)
                2015: 10/3
                2014: 10/11
                2013: 10/5
                2012: 10/6
                2011: 10/1
                2010: 10/9
                Last edited by Matt Burglund; 04-04-2020, 04:30 PM.
                http://www.indianagazette.com
                www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                  If I did a shot every time y'all took a thread and veered off on to kickoff times, I'd have been on the floor a long, long time ago.

Anyway ...

Traditionally, IUP homecoming is almost always the first or second weekend of October. (Read on for the "almost" part).

The PSAC makes the football schedule, so IUP looks at the schedule, sees which of those weekends IUP is home, and you have homecoming. The only time that might not be true is if IUP is scheduled to be home both weeks (then IUP would choose, but I doubt it would be based solely on who the opponent is, since the Alumni office is really the ones driving that ship) or if IUP is away both weeks, and they have to find another weekend, like the third one in October.

2016: 10/15 (Oct. 1 was first home game, which is always HoF weekend. First 3 games were away.)
                  We veer off to them because they suck. Year after year. Pretty simple.

Hopefully Todd (a younger AD) realizes it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post
                    If I did a shot every time y'all took a thread and veered off on to kickoff times, I'd have been on the floor a long, long time ago.

Anyway ...

And as you've seen on here before, Matt, we also veer off into discussions about how awful the PSAC's schedule making ability is lol. And yes, I'm aware it's all supposed to be random.

The fact that they get stuck playing Cal/SRU back to back every year is absurd. Same thing with Clarion. Every year, they play Cal, SRU, and IUP in consecutive weeks. Every other year, SRU gets BOTH of the Cal/IUP games at home (which also means they play them both on the road the following year).

Comment

• This is a few days old, but IUP has announced its all-decade (2010-19) team.
                      http://www.indianagazette.com
                      www.twitter.com/MattBurglund

Comment

• I was wondering what happened to Max Redfield. Pretty interesting story.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...c20711c0e.html

Comment

• Interesting story in the Gazette today on a lawsuit filed against President Driscoll.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                            Interesting story in the Gazette today on a lawsuit filed against President Driscoll.
                            I read it yesterday. Very interested in what is going to happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              I was wondering what happened to Max Redfield. Pretty interesting story.

https://www.indianagazette.com/sport...c20711c0e.html
                              Pretty cool story. Glad you alerted us about the story.

Comment

• It appears IUP may have a late signing in DB Miguel Brumfield (Laurel Highlands).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X