X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I still remember to this day, vividly, sitting in the Miller Stadium bleachers near the end of THE Lou Tepper era. The program I had grown up watching dominate people was just a shell of itself. The decline in talent was so drastic. Frank's best teams would have beat Tepper's best team by 5-6 touchdowns.
    Easy. Maybe more than that even. But I guess in fairness to the Lou Tepper he did lose his starting QBs to injuries his final two seasons IIRC.

But, to be fair, you have to remember the climate within the Field House at that period in time. The new president (Atwater) wanted a new (clean) image for the football program -- no more headlines for arrests ... or punching police horses on Homecoming. He also had a giant mess down the hall with the men's basketball team and the end of the Gary Edwards era.
    No, that was basically a different time period. Gary left by early 2006 which was about the time or so Tep got hired. They never would have worked together for very long. Joe Lombardi had established his team as a national power by the end of the Tep years.

Did Atwater steer Teeper away from continuing 'Transfer U' within the program? Perhaps. Probably. Lou still had transfers but just a guess they got vetted much more thoroughly than some of Frank's did back in the heyday.

I thought Lou was a good hire at the time. He had some strong teams at Edinboro and I figured with larger finances he'd do really well in Indiana. He still had some very talented players here but not nearly enough of them.

When Curt took over things kind of went back to normal.
    Probably one of the biggest detriments to the Tep era was that the Cignetti Mafia was not overly supportive of having an outsider take over the program. Funding for IUP football scholies really dried up quite a bit. The Cignetti crowd wanted their own man, Tom Rogish, to take over and when he was passed over for the job many of them up and left until Curt Cignetti took the job.

Atwater also hired Joe Lombardi, which was obviously a home run. That street in between Miller and the KCAC will probably be named Lombardi Ave some day in the future.
    The street will probably be named either Bravado Boulevard or Redshirt Road. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That's quite a step up for the program from what it had morphed into during the end of the Lou Tepper years. Curt Cignetti deserves praise for his reclamation project as well as Tort who has been magnificent since taking the reins of the program.

-
    I still remember to this day, vividly, sitting in the Miller Stadium bleachers near the end of THE Lou Tepper era. The program I had grown up watching dominate people was just a shell of itself. The decline in talent was so drastic. Frank's best teams would have beat Tepper's best team by 5-6 touchdowns.

But, to be fair, you have to remember the climate within the Field House at that period in time. The new president (Atwater) wanted a new (clean) image for the football program -- no more headlines for arrests ... or punching police horses on Homecoming. He also had a giant mess down the hall with the men's basketball team and the end of the Gary Edwards era.

Did Atwater steer Teeper away from continuing 'Transfer U' within the program? Perhaps. Probably. Lou still had transfers but just a guess they got vetted much more thoroughly than some of Frank's did back in the heyday.

I thought Lou was a good hire at the time. He had some strong teams at Edinboro and I figured with larger finances he'd do really well in Indiana. He still had some very talented players here but not nearly enough of them.

When Curt took over things kind of went back to normal. Atwater also hired Joe Lombardi, which was obviously a home run. That street in between Miller and the KCAC will probably be named Lombardi Ave some day in the future.

One other item to keep in mind is while some have some beefs with (current) President Driscoll ... he's a sports guy. He's at EVERY football and basketball game -- and numerous road games. A pro-sports President goes a long way down here in the bush leagues.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Well, I hope he appreciates all the free advice he gets on here. Lol. He has an extra 20 coaches.

Leave a comment:

• IUP CRIMSON HAWKS
    replied
    Some numbers from the recent 5-year window (post-season included):

Overall: 50-11
    West: 30-5
    Home: 27-5
    Away: 21-6

Record versus:

Cal - 3-3 (includes playoff loss)
    SRU - 2-3

Rock Series (2-3): IUP has three losses by a combined 7 points. IUP's two wins came by 17 and 29 points.

Cal Series (3-3): Home team has won each meeting during the past 5 seasons. IUP has won in Miller by an average of 11.33 points. Cal has won in Adamson by an average of 12 points (the playoff loss minus Lenny spiked the average pretty good).
    That's quite a step up for the program from what it had morphed into during the end of the Lou Tepper years. Curt Cignetti deserves praise for his reclamation project as well as Tort who has been magnificent since taking the reins of the program.

-

Leave a comment:

• IUPNation
    replied

You're close to Tort. Tell them to sneak down to Adamson this summer and do some Voodoo dance or something. Lol. Gotta break the curse somehow.
    Or just pee on the field.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    You're close to Tort.

Leave a comment:

• CALUPA69
    replied
    Tech @#$&up

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Burglund View Post

Here's more that shows how close these teams are: Since 2000, Cal leads in wins 11-10, but IUP leads in scoring 457-443 and has outgained Cal 7,515-7,067. Eight of the 21 games were decided by single digits.
    You're close to Tort. Tell them to sneak down to Adamson this summer and do some Voodoo dance or something. Lol. Gotta break the curse somehow.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Burglund
    replied
    Cal Series (3-3): Home team has won each meeting during the past 5 seasons. IUP has won in Miller by an average of 11.33 points. Cal has won in Adamson by an average of 12 points (the playoff loss minus Lenny spiked the average pretty good).
    Here's more that shows how close these teams are: Since 2000, Cal leads in wins 11-10, but IUP leads in scoring 457-443 and has outgained Cal 7,515-7,067. Eight of the 21 games were decided by single digits.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Some numbers from the recent 5-year window (post-season included):

Overall: 50-11
    West: 30-5
    Home: 27-5
    Away: 21-6

Record versus:

Cal - 3-3 (includes playoff loss)
    SRU - 2-3

Rock Series (2-3): IUP has three losses by a combined 7 points. IUP's two wins came by 17 and 29 points.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    UPDATED SCHEDULE
    9/19 @ Kutztown
    9/26 Mercyhurst
    10/3 @ Gannon
    10/10 Clarion
    10/17 SRU
    10/24 @ California
    10/31 @ Edinboro
    11/7 Seton Hill
    11/14 West Chester (or State Game)
    So, obviously the much-anticipated game at Shepherd seems to have got the boot. This is the first year in a while that IUP won't play Cal the week prior to the SRU game. I'd assume Clarion will be the Homecoming Game.

Final note: Already waiting to see what goes wrong at Adamson on Oct. 24. LOL.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

He was spotted last week working out at Miller Stadium.
    They've had a ton of dedicated players at Miller every night since April.

Well, I'm assuming it is the IUP team. Or, Indiana High may win a state title this fall.

Some nights there's been 40-50 people there working out.

"Unofficial" and completely voluntary workouts, of course.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

If he plays near his 4-star rating along with Duane Brown, this could really open running lanes for the RBs.
    He will take a lot of heat off Duane ... can't double them both.

Leave a comment:

• ShoNuff
    replied
    Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

If he plays near his 4-star rating along with Duane Brown, this could really open running lanes for the RBs.

Leave a comment:

• IUP412
    replied
    Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post
    Hopefully the rest of the players did well. Now I am waiting to see if the Penn St kid will join the team.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X