Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

All the teams in SR1 have 25? You sure about that? Lol. Not even close.

Let's make factual sense. Very few teams in SR1 have anywhere near 25 scholarships. IUP could be maxed if they could raise more money (along with any other school).
    Then tell the administration to raise more money

Comment

Originally posted by IUPNation View Post

...or if the idiots in Harrisburg would spend more money to lower tuition...then the money everyone has for foosball could be stretched further.....
      That's hurt us even more. Between the tuition raises from the Corbett cuts and the luxury dorm rates we've all slashed our scholarship totals.

Comment

Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

These numbers are a bit old, but multiple teams in our conference over 25.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191130_072504.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	460459
        I was about to reach out to you and request your recent equivalent scholarship amount for the PSAC Football teams. Thanks VERY MUCH for sharing this again.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ85 View Post

Then tell the administration to raise more money
          Write a bigger check. Sutton Hall isn't raising Tort a dime. You understand where scholarship money comes from at our state schools, right?

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Write a bigger check. Sutton Hall isn't raising Tort a dime. You understand where scholarship money comes from at our state schools, right?
            No BigIndians, you know VERY WELL that person doesn't understand how D-II scholarships works.
            Last edited by ShoNuff; 11-30-2019, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Let me try and clarify why I am not a big supporter of Tort as IUPs head coach.

The concerns raised inIUPbigINDIANS original post are all due to Coach Tort as a head coach and his leadership (or absence thereof) over the team. In addition to the points made by IUPbigINDIANS, I don't believe that Coach Tort outwardly carries himself well. I truly detest a coach attempting to deflect responsibility for on field conduct or performance to game officials or a single player. The better option is to always present a personal responsibility for the teams conduct and performance. Tort doesn't do that and it reflects poorly on him, the team and the university. A bad look. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it adversely impacts some of his recruiting efforts as well. I have commented multiple times this season that he needs to take ownership of his teams performance / conduct. Until he does that, IUP football will not take the corrective actions needed to stop recurrences. You can't correct things if you don't own them to begin with. That is why the personal fouls are persistent - coach doesn't own them as his to correct. Always blaming others.

Originally posted by IUP724 View Post
              how are you guys losing confidence in a guy that has a 31-6 record???!!! He led a team to win the Region in 2017! Which Curt never did! He was also the fastest Head Coach in Program to reach 30 wins! I have met the guy a couple of times and he is a very nice person.
              To me, winning is not everything. How you win, and how you represent the university are just as important as winning. IMO, Coach Tort, does not convey a positive, engaging and favorable impression. His repeated comments in post game interviews blaming others is troublesome. Look inward Coach. Your team was penalized because of their actions - not because the referee's have a grudge against IUP. Stop making excuses and do something to address the problem on your roster. Additionally,not being game ready at the start of a game is Coach Torts to own and correct.

I haven't met coach Tort personally. All I have to gauge him by is by what I see and hear on weekly radio shows and game day interviews. His weekly taped segment with Jack is listless and uninspiring. He is knowledgeable, but not engaging or someone I would actively want to follow and bust my butt for.

This was Torts third season. Instead of growing into the position and improving, I see a guy who is still not ready to be a head coach and may never be.

Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I think other fans must be looking at IUP fans with a puzzled look on their faces. Ok, we lost a PO game in the last seconds. We lost a regular season game to a much higher ranked team by 3 points. We won all of the other games, though. It's been noted that Tort has a 31-6 record as HC. As with all head coaches you are only as good as your last game. I know that.

TBH, I think he's doing well. I think he's still learning to be a HC, which is good as long as he keeps getting better.

I questioned hiring him in the first place. For the previous 35 years IUP had a high profile HC, someone well known nationwide. I thought that was important in our program. But I have to say when I watch Tort's weekly show with Jack I'm impressed by his grasp of what's important in each game and how he talks about the players. For one thing, I would say he did regain control of the team this year. That was critical.

It's been mentioned that the last of Cignetti's recruits are done this year. However, Tort appears to be a good recruiter. He brought in Redfield, Maxwell, Reese, and a lot of other quality transfers in addition to players coming in from HS.

I think he's a pretty smart guy and things he's being criticized for now are things he can overcome. It does concern me that he said after the Shep game that if it was 4 or 5 years down the road he might consider hanging it up. If you are totally committed I'm not sure you entertain that idea over one loss.

As always, the ultimate goal for IUP's football program is to win the D2 NC. I guess anything less the faithful is not satisfied.
              Coach Tort is very knowledgeable. That is not in doubt nor debatable. Being a head coach is more about leadership and management than just football knowledge. His knowledge made him a successful position coach and coordinator. Now he needs more.

Is coach Tort a good recruiter? IDK, but we will see this upcoming year. The 2020 IUP roster will be Torts, and much less so his predecessors. Yes, IUP has attracted and landed a few key transfers. How much is that coach Tort versus other influences such as the departing school coaching staff, friends and family, location, costs, and IUPs reputation? Recruiting should result in fewer needs for transfers. I am concerned over the offensive and defensive lines, and QB for the 2020 season. Today, the 2020 roster doesn't look strong in those areas.

Coach Torts commenting on potentially stepping aside in 4-5 years is another sign of a guy who doesn't understand how his words and outward actions impact outsiders looking in. Talk about dousing the IUP football recruiting and fundraising efforts with a bucket of cold water.

Blast away at my criticisms. That is unfortunately part of this forum. I cheer for the university and its teams by how they compete and carry themselves - win or lose. I expect better than I have witnessed the last 2 seasons.

Comment

Glad ESU occupies so much space in your head...SNOWFLAKE
                Last edited by WarriorVoice; 12-01-2019, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post

Coach Tort is very knowledgeable. That is not in doubt nor debatable. Being a head coach is more about leadership and management than just football knowledge. His knowledge made him a successful position coach and coordinator. Now he needs more.

Is coach Tort a good recruiter? IDK, but we will see this upcoming year. The 2020 IUP roster will be Torts, and much less so his predecessors. Yes, IUP has attracted and landed a few key transfers. How much is that coach Tort versus other influences such as the departing school coaching staff, friends and family, location, costs, and IUPs reputation? Recruiting should result in fewer needs for transfers. I am concerned over the offensive and defensive lines, and QB for the 2020 season. Today, the 2020 roster doesn't look strong in those areas.

Coach Torts commenting on potentially stepping aside in 4-5 years is another sign of a guy who doesn't understand how his words and outward actions impact outsiders looking in. Talk about dousing the IUP football recruiting and fundraising efforts with a bucket of cold water.

Blast away at my criticisms. That is unfortunately part of this forum. I cheer for the university and its teams by how they compete and carry themselves - win or lose. I expect better than I have witnessed the last 2 seasons.
                  I understand what you are saying. I'm not sure its just Tort, who like anyone has things he's better at and things he's not so good at. I think it is having an old entrenched coaching staff, with half the staff having 15+ years at IUP under 4 different Head coaches. This makes changing very difficult, and I think Tort ends up protecting the limitations of his old friends -Its the Indiana way, and he got lots of love from the old timers here for doing that - They are nostalgic for how good they thought it was in the old days.

The next few years will tell the story - Will he go downhill like at Bloom with Darragh, and then retire, or will he figure it out, and finally finish out the big game. He has resources, looks like he is a good recruiter - he's on the plus side with transfers - Rogers was the only big clunker. My Guess is he is as good or better than most PSAC coaches, he is not media saavy, The players seem to like him. He is a bit of a Homer with his assistants, so he might not be able to make changes that are necessary,

Comment

Comment

• They'll have a fancy roster come August. The money is there to buy some stud transfers to fill key holes. Let's not act as if this is some major rebuild. They have a lot coming back.

The next two weeks are very important in the transfer game. You want guys signed and here by start of second semester. Going through Spring Ball here is huge.

This a team that lost two games by a combined 7 points. The question is will anything change ... Will it change enough to win those games rather than painfully lose them? Will this next team still specialize in countless boneheaded penalties? Will it still start big games asleep?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

They'll have a fancy roster come August. The money is there to buy some stud transfers to fill key holes. Let's not act as if this is some major rebuild. They have a lot coming back.

The next two weeks are very important in the transfer game. You want guys signed and here by start of second semester. Going through Spring Ball here is huge.

This a team that lost two games by a combined 7 points. The question is will anything change ... Will it change enough to win those games rather than painfully lose them? Will this next team still specialize in countless boneheaded penalties? Will it still start big games asleep?
                        Question related to the transfer prediction: does anyone know how Slippery Rock landed Roland Rivers? I feel like it's more common for PSAC schools to land FBS guys than premier D2 talent, especially from outside the region.

Comment

• Old OC at SRU recruited Rivers to Valdosta, had a falling out with Valdosta, came to the Rock before camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

We're unfortunately nowhere close to a national title. No playoffs last year and bounced at home in Round 1 this year. Next year's schedule is brutal. It will be very tough to go 9-2 and make the playoffs next year. Possible but tough.
                            I'm not so sure. I think SR1 has closed the gap, actually. It's gotten a lot more competitive and the Region has more balance than before which makes everybody get better. For instance, last year's semifinal NDC lost to Valdosta 30-24 and then in the finals Valdosta lost to Ferris State 49-47. In 2017, IUP was upset by West Florida 27-17 and in the finals West Florida lost to a really strong TX-Commerce 37-27. I think it certainly can be done. In fact, as much as it pains me to say so, I think SRU has a shot this year. Nobody is going to take them lightly, that's for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Glad ESU occupies so much space in your head...SNOWFLAKE

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

I'm not so sure. I think SR1 has closed the gap, actually. It's gotten a lot more competitive and the Region has more balance than before which makes everybody get better. For instance, last year's semifinal NDC lost to Valdosta 30-24 and then in the finals Valdosta lost to Ferris State 49-47. In 2017, IUP was upset by West Florida 27-17 and in the finals West Florida lost to a really strong TX-Commerce 37-27. I think it certainly can be done. In fact, as much as it pains me to say so, I think SRU has a shot this year. Nobody is going to take them lightly, that's for sure.
                                I agree. As some others have said, this might be the year. The best teams of this year are mostly out and several teams who have coaching staffs who have won it all are also out. That could have been IUP.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X