Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TJ85 View Post
    Everything on this message board you have to take with a grain of salt. I remember 2 years ago, I did not have an account but heard from numerous account holders you guys wanted Lutz to be fired and questioned all of his coaching moves, now 2 years later he is Vince Lombardi to people. Just goes to show the people on here have nothing better to do and their opinion means nothing and actually has no substance at all... just sayin
    Finding a Roland Rivers at this level tends to make any coach look pretty good. They don't come along too often.

Comment

• Trust the Process!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        Flyers... no cups since 74 and 75... They blow!!!
        Pirates, no World Series since 79 and they won that cos they were all on blow!

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
            Not really, Cindy is out 8 weeks with a herniated uterus, those injuries have a way of recurring so the Cindy area is probably over. Time to tank again and get the next generational cry baby although Malkintent can pout with the best of them.
            Yep Time to tank and for Mario Le Cherry Picker to cry poor and file for bankruptcy...again. LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Finding a Roland Rivers at this level tends to make any coach look pretty good. They don't come along too often.
              The whole deal behind that was one of the Valdosta coaches coached at Slip, so the coach signed off on the transfer. Not like Lutz went out and recruited the kid with some major recruiting skill. just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by TJ85 View Post

The whole deal behind that was one of the Valdosta coaches coached at Slip, so the coach signed off on the transfer. Not like Lutz went out and recruited the kid with some major recruiting skill. just sayin
                Justin Roper was at Valdosta first before coming to Slippery Rock, Rivers also missed a year because of shoulder surgery; when he came back Valdosta put Wells ahead of him, Rivers then followed Roper. A couple of years ago QB Don King III transferred to Slippery Rock from Sam Houston St.; a former ROCK coach (Zack Patterson ) was at Sam Houston. It is more connections than going out and recruiting, Lenny transferring from Temple to IUP happened in a like manner.

Comment

• Originally posted by SRU 88 View Post

Justin Roper was at Valdosta first before coming to Slippery Rock, Rivers also missed a year because of shoulder surgery; when he came back Valdosta put Wells ahead of him, Rivers then followed Roper. A couple of years ago QB Don King III transferred to Slippery Rock from Sam Houston St.; a former ROCK coach (Zack Patterson ) was at Sam Houston. It is more connections than going out and recruiting, Lenny transferring from Temple to IUP happened in a like manner.
                  There's usually a link with most of them if you dig. King caused a bit of a stir up there if I remember correctly as he was Lutz's first big import and they gave him a full ride. Dr. Evil rarely gave anybody a full ride. I've heard that ruffled some feathers as King turned out to not be very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

There's usually a link with most of them if you dig. King caused a bit of a stir up there if I remember correctly as he was Lutz's first big import and they gave him a full ride. Dr. Evil rarely gave anybody a full ride. I've heard that ruffled some feathers as King turned out to not be very good.
                    24 Td 10 int, not terrible; but he was all they had after Shamar Greene got hurt in the Cal game and was out for the season. On list of one yr qbs, he definitely would be below Nania & Garry. Rivers and Barksdale were 2 yr qbs.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
                      Let me try and clarify why I am not a big supporter of Tort as IUPs head coach.

The concerns raised inIUPbigINDIANS original post are all due to Coach Tort as a head coach and his leadership (or absence thereof) over the team. In addition to the points made by IUPbigINDIANS, I don't believe that Coach Tort outwardly carries himself well. I truly detest a coach attempting to deflect responsibility for on field conduct or performance to game officials or a single player. The better option is to always present a personal responsibility for the teams conduct and performance. Tort doesn't do that and it reflects poorly on him, the team and the university. A bad look. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it adversely impacts some of his recruiting efforts as well. I have commented multiple times this season that he needs to take ownership of his teams performance / conduct. Until he does that, IUP football will not take the corrective actions needed to stop recurrences. You can't correct things if you don't own them to begin with. That is why the personal fouls are persistent - coach doesn't own them as his to correct. Always blaming others.

To me, winning is not everything. How you win, and how you represent the university are just as important as winning. IMO, Coach Tort, does not convey a positive, engaging and favorable impression. His repeated comments in post game interviews blaming others is troublesome. Look inward Coach. Your team was penalized because of their actions - not because the referee's have a grudge against IUP. Stop making excuses and do something to address the problem on your roster. Additionally,not being game ready at the start of a game is Coach Torts to own and correct.

I haven't met coach Tort personally. All I have to gauge him by is by what I see and hear on weekly radio shows and game day interviews. His weekly taped segment with Jack is listless and uninspiring. He is knowledgeable, but not engaging or someone I would actively want to follow and bust my butt for.

This was Torts third season. Instead of growing into the position and improving, I see a guy who is still not ready to be a head coach and may never be.

Coach Tort is very knowledgeable. That is not in doubt nor debatable. Being a head coach is more about leadership and management than just football knowledge. His knowledge made him a successful position coach and coordinator. Now he needs more.

Is coach Tort a good recruiter? IDK, but we will see this upcoming year. The 2020 IUP roster will be Torts, and much less so his predecessors. Yes, IUP has attracted and landed a few key transfers. How much is that coach Tort versus other influences such as the departing school coaching staff, friends and family, location, costs, and IUPs reputation? Recruiting should result in fewer needs for transfers. I am concerned over the offensive and defensive lines, and QB for the 2020 season. Today, the 2020 roster doesn't look strong in those areas.

Coach Torts commenting on potentially stepping aside in 4-5 years is another sign of a guy who doesn't understand how his words and outward actions impact outsiders looking in. Talk about dousing the IUP football recruiting and fundraising efforts with a bucket of cold water.

Blast away at my criticisms. That is unfortunately part of this forum. I cheer for the university and its teams by how they compete and carry themselves - win or lose. I expect better than I have witnessed the last 2 seasons.
                      Yes I will blast away. U are what your record is and I will take 31-6 with YES limited resources regarding schollies and facilities. Also I like a COACH that speaks his mind and doesn't try to "bull s*** his way through interviews with coach speak and cliches like his predecessor. Tort is a down to earth guy who treats all with respect and doesn't try to big time people or players. Ever see the sidelines on game days littered with former players. And yes this is College football not HS or pop Warner if u get called out so be it. if that rubs the sensitive ones the wrong way tough. If anything he has overachieved, heck his predecessor did less and look where that got him...and please STOP with the resources the stadium is awful, the press box a travesty and the budget is show strings on a very old shoe. In addition u guys are calling for staff shake ups, Please he should be commended for keeping a D2 staff together, if u dont think those assistants had chances to leave u "dont think" at all...just sayin

Comment

• To each his own. I would move on to a new candidate The luster has worn off. You may be too close to the staff to be seeing clearly.

Comment

To each his own. I would move on to a new candidate The luster has worn off. You may be too close to the staff to be seeing clearly.
                          Seeing real clear at 31-6....And as far as recruiting goes, give me 3 players more legit than Maxwell , Searles and Redfield that Cignetti brought in....Give it a try pal.

Comment

• Question is will Year 4 be any different in regard to undisciplined play and anemic starts in big games? Two years in a row they spotted SRU 28 points. Comebacks are great but how do they avoid spotting them 28 points? Something has to change in those two area's. They got in a hole against Assumption and a 24-0 hole against West Florida. Cal shut them out in the first half this year. Shepherd had their way for the first 40 minutes.

Nobody is calling for a coaching change. But, something has to change. Heck, show Rudy or something before the big games.

Now ... what will the West look like next year? Hard to say. A Roland-less Rock will be a much different Rock. Cal seems in either a funk or a decline. The rest are typically about the same every year.

The trip to Shepherd will be a gigantic game early next fall. Kutztown was pretty built up for this year's run. They may take a few steps back.

IUP isn't too far off for next year. They need some key pieces off the transfer wire. But, as we know that can be like roulette.

Everybody gets the 31-6. The ire is the team had way too much talent the last two years to miss one postseason and get bounced at home the other.

Comment

To each his own. I would move on to a new candidate The luster has worn off. You may be too close to the staff to be seeing clearly.
                              Sure, fire a guy 31-6, to even state that on any board is ludicrous and gives u no credibility. If u dont like the Coach just say it. But to state non sense is a hard read....research the 31-6 record and tell me a coach in D2 that got canned. U will be looking a long time. Has one bad loss out of the six, got robbed in the one at Cal and is 2-2 in the playoffs. They play hard are a tough out no matter who they play. Lastly let's not forget not fully funded, not even close.....just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP412 View Post

Sure, fire a guy 31-6, to even state that on any board is ludicrous and gives u no credibility. If u dont like the Coach just say it. But to state non sense is a hard read....research the 31-6 record and tell me a coach in D2 that got canned. U will be looking a long time. Has one bad loss out of the six, got robbed in the one at Cal and is 2-2 in the playoffs. They play hard are a tough out no matter who they play. Lastly let's not forget not fully funded, not even close.....just sayin
                                Yeah...calling for him to be fired is not something that is rational.

However...there is room for improvement.

He's only 3-3 vs SCI Mon Valley and Slimey Pebble. That needs to improve.

He has a two game home playoff losing streak. Completely unacceptable. IUP should not be losing home playoff games.

So...they do have some work to do but the man hasn't done anything yet that warrants to be fired.

When he goes 11-11 over two years like The Lou Tepper did and we were all demoralized that it would never get better...then it's time to give him the sack.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X