Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Broad brush, yes. But, this topic was in reference to IUP vs. SRU. I'd guess when I left IUP ... IUP was nearly 3 times bigger than SRU? And, that was just -- give or take -- 20 years ago.
    This is the big question. ITs comes down to Better choices by SRU - Focusing on western PA for recruiting students - their Admissions office was run better than IUP as well., SRU is cheaper since the per credit tuition IUP charges, SRU focused on key grad programs in the health field PT and PA programs, while IUP tried to be a destination school with its Honors college, and multiple grad programs. All of which have been battered by recent enrollment declines. I suppose it ends up being blamed on the quality of the Presidents and Board of trustees over the last 10-15 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by ironmaniup View Post

This is the big question. ITs comes down to Better choices by SRU - Focusing on western PA for recruiting students - their Admissions office was run better than IUP as well., SRU is cheaper since the per credit tuition IUP charges, SRU focused on key grad programs in the health field PT and PA programs, while IUP tried to be a destination school with its Honors college, and multiple grad programs. All of which have been battered by recent enrollment declines. I suppose it ends up being blamed on the quality of the Presidents and Board of trustees over the last 10-15 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by BallHawkin View Post

The person shot was not an Indiana native. Jus sayin
        Correct....

Comment

A friend working at SRU told me that several years ago PASSHE gave each campus personalized recommendations on enrollment, revenue, and finances. Supposedly, many campuses scoffed at PASSHE telling them how to do their business, but East Stroudsburg, Millersville, West Chester, and Slippery Rock implemented most if not all of the recommendations. "Coincidentally," those campuses are the strongest ones right now from an operational perspective.

But you're absolutely right, Slippery Rock has done an excellent job of focusing on the positive. Its easier given their financial position, but being on their campus is a much more positive experience than when I'm at Cal, Clarion, Edinboro, or IUP. People seem happier - both students and employees. Another thing about Slippery Rock - they have welcomed young alumni as trustees. Its not just a politically connected boomer panel. That matters - because the college experience is nothing like it was 10-15 years ago so someone's 1970s understanding of the college experience is virtually invalid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

A friend working at SRU told me that several years ago PASSHE gave each campus personalized recommendations on enrollment, revenue, and finances. Supposedly, many campuses scoffed at PASSHE telling them how to do their business, but East Stroudsburg, Millersville, West Chester, and Slippery Rock implemented most if not all of the recommendations. "Coincidentally," those campuses are the strongest ones right now from an operational perspective.

But you're absolutely right, Slippery Rock has done an excellent job of focusing on the positive. Its easier given their financial position, but being on their campus is a much more positive experience than when I'm at Cal, Clarion, Edinboro, or IUP. People seem happier - both students and employees. Another thing about Slippery Rock - they have welcomed young alumni as trustees. Its not just a politically connected boomer panel. That matters - because the college experience is nothing like it was 10-15 years ago so someone's 1970s understanding of the college experience is virtually invalid.

One thing I notice at Slippery Rock is the town actually embraces the school. I can't say the same in Indiana -- despite a massive number of people living here being employed by IUP. Events like two weeks ago, IUPatties, etc. ... well, they don't help. Put it that way. Most locals in Indiana would prefer to have a 'Trump Wall' built around that campus.

Now, 20 years ago, SRU didn't resemble a 'college town' at all. It was a stop sign town with a Subway and a McDonald's -- and the closest bar was a redneck tavern 10 miles away. It's come a real long way. Today, the downtown has several nice bars and restaurants. The campus is nice. SRU also has majors kids actually want ... (imagine that).

I'm sure the IUP spin on this out of Sutton Hall will be something along the lines of quality over quantity. But, we are not some prestigious school. Quantity unfortunately pays the bills.

Comment

One thing I notice at Slippery Rock is the town actually embraces the school. I can't say the same in Indiana -- despite a massive number of people living here being employed by IUP. Events like two weeks ago, IUPatties, etc. ... well, they don't help. Put it that way. Most locals in Indiana would prefer to have a 'Trump Wall' built around that campus.

Now, 20 years ago, SRU didn't resemble a 'college town' at all. It was a stop sign town with a Subway and a McDonald's -- and the closest bar was a redneck tavern 10 miles away. It's come a real long way. Today, the downtown has several nice bars and restaurants. The campus is nice. SRU also has majors kids actually want ... (imagine that).

I'm sure the IUP spin on this out of Sutton Hall will be something along the lines of quality over quantity. But, we are not some prestigious school. Quantity unfortunately pays the bills.
              To a degree. The mayor of one of the Slippery Rocks (there is the town and then the township) is frequently sparring with students and staff online over socio-political views. He doesn't like that the students pick liberal speakers. The students accuse him of dog whistle prejudice. But the town shows up for athletics events. That may be because more employees live there. At Edinboro, it seems like the only employees who live in the town are coaches. Management all live in Erie. That matters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

They are happy because of the mandatory Dr Evil control chips they must have implanted at freshman orientation.
                Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Comment

• Isn't Slippery Rock in somewhat of a suburb setting of Pittsburgh? That alone would be more appealing than going to the middle of Pennsylvania to IUP. No offense to the IUP alumni.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ram040506 View Post

Isn't Slippery Rock in somewhat of a suburb setting of Pittsburgh? That alone would be more appealing than going to the middle of Pennsylvania to IUP. No offense to the IUP alumni.
                      Absolutely! I believe GEOGRAPHY takes up 60-70% of this argument.

People can speculate about academic programs and PASSHE recommendations all they want but the reason WCU in the east and, to a lesser extent, SRU in the west have benefitted in the last 10 years is LOCATION.

The geographical implications for WCU are obvious. As for SRU, there has been a lot of suburban growth to the north of Pgh. that has actually taken place over a long period of time. That coupled with the trend in staying closer to home for public university students has driven the growth.

That said, SRU has made a lot of changes to their academic offerings (with the help of IUP, incidentally). They have marketed themselves well, too.

In this day and age IUP's relative geographic inaccessibility has hurt.

In addition, while the current IUP Prez has made a lot of progress with the whole STEAM initiative he has not represented IUP well in terms of its growth. I see the current Prez as a good soldier within the PASSHE system but really hasn't done a lot to promote IUP in competitive terms. Not too sure he has those kinds of leadership skills.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP Ebbs View Post
                        Got the response that was expected. Unfortunately.
                        Got the response that was deserved ..................................... jus sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Absolutely! I believe GEOGRAPHY takes up 60-70% of this argument.

People can speculate about academic programs and PASSHE recommendations all they want but the reason WCU in the east and, to a lesser extent, SRU in the west have benefitted in the last 10 years is LOCATION.

The geographical implications for WCU are obvious. As for SRU, there has been a lot of suburban growth to the north of Pgh. that has actually taken place over a long period of time. That coupled with the trend in staying closer to home for public university students has driven the growth.The

That said, SRU has made a lot of changes to their academic offerings (with the help of IUP, incidentally). They have marketed themselves well, too.

In this day and age IUP's relative geographic inaccessibility has hurt.

In addition, while the current IUP Prez has made a lot of progress with the whole STEAM initiative he has not represented IUP well in terms of its growth. I see the current Prez as a good soldier within the PASSHE system but really hasn't done a lot to promote IUP in competitive terms. Not too sure he has those kinds of leadership skills.
                          Probably correct, the location, and then the IUP increase in tuition accounts for a big part. You can also add that UPJ and UP Greensburg compete with IUP for students from Pittsburghs eastern burbs, and westmoreland county students but not so much with SRU and kids from the northern suburbs.

Comment

Probably correct, the location, and then the IUP increase in tuition accounts for a big part. You can also add that UPJ and UP Greensburg compete with IUP for students from Pittsburghs eastern burbs, and westmoreland county students but not so much with SRU and kids from the northern suburbs.
                            You can be in Indiana from down Pittsburgh in just about the same time you can be in Slippery Rock. It's actually easy to get from downtown Pittsburgh to Indiana ... straight up 28 and across 422. I do it five days a week.

Staying out of the news for a year or two may help. I think we underscore IUP's not so stellar reputation far too often in these discussions. It's very real in these parts.

Comment

You can be in Indiana from down Pittsburgh in just about the same time you can be in Slippery Rock. It's actually easy to get from downtown Pittsburgh to Indiana ... straight up 28 and across 422. I do it five days a week.

Staying out of the news for a year or two may help. I think we underscore IUP's not so stellar reputation far too often in these discussions. It's very real in these parts.
                              Not if you get behind a coal truck on 422. Then if you consider some of the biggest college population is from places north of downtown, around cranberry Township, wexford area which is much closer to SRU, Then consider PSU New Ken is right on the Rte 22 corridor

Comment

Sure but its not as easy of a drive as it is getting to SRU. Get off 79 at the Slippery Rock exit, hang a left and you go into town a couple miles later. Then again, the same could be said for Edinboro and they're not exactly packing them in.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X