Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Sure but its not as easy of a drive as it is getting to SRU. Get off 79 at the Slippery Rock exit, hang a left and you go into town a couple miles later. Then again, the same could be said for Edinboro and they're not exactly packing them in.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post

Absolutely! I believe GEOGRAPHY takes up 60-70% of this argument.

People can speculate about academic programs and PASSHE recommendations all they want but the reason WCU in the east and, to a lesser extent, SRU in the west have benefitted in the last 10 years is LOCATION.

The geographical implications for WCU are obvious. As for SRU, there has been a lot of suburban growth to the north of Pgh. that has actually taken place over a long period of time. That coupled with the trend in staying closer to home for public university students has driven the growth.

That said, SRU has made a lot of changes to their academic offerings (with the help of IUP, incidentally). They have marketed themselves well, too.

In this day and age IUP's relative geographic inaccessibility has hurt.

In addition, while the current IUP Prez has made a lot of progress with the whole STEAM initiative he has not represented IUP well in terms of its growth. I see the current Prez as a good soldier within the PASSHE system but really hasn't done a lot to promote IUP in competitive terms. Not too sure he has those kinds of leadership skills.
      Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

You can be in Indiana from down Pittsburgh in just about the same time you can be in Slippery Rock. It's actually easy to get from downtown Pittsburgh to Indiana ... straight up 28 and across 422. I do it five days a week.

Staying out of the news for a year or two may help. I think we underscore IUP's not so stellar reputation far too often in these discussions. It's very real in these parts.
          Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• I don't agree with that ...

You could walk on campus right now and ask 50 students how much their tuition is .... maybe 10 could answer you. Mommy and Daddy pay or it's all loans that kids that age don't care about right now. Those who are fronting their own tuition would know but that's a small number.

Sounds like finger pointing in every direction. If the Dris can't fix it ... on to the next.

It's amazing to me people don't think IUP's negative image is playing a part in this epic decline.

Comment

• When I was a student at WCU, there were no parking lots. Did they knock down some buildings and put up a parking lot?

Comment

I don't agree with that ...

You could walk on campus right now and ask 50 students how much their tuition is .... maybe 10 could answer you. Mommy and Daddy pay or it's all loans that kids that age don't care about right now. Those who are fronting their own tuition would know but that's a small number.

Sounds like finger pointing in every direction. If the Dris can't fix it ... on to the next.

It's amazing to me people don't think IUP's negative image is playing a part in this epic decline.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

When I was a student at WCU, there were no parking lots. Did they knock down some buildings and put up a parking lot?

Comment

• Could dig down into the Institutional Research for this. I used to do that sort of thing but for now this is my hunch.

College age population within 40 miles of university X income range/secondary school preparation appropriate for state university X regional vs. statewide marketing scope = SRU>IUP.

Comment

Could dig down into the Institutional Research for this. I used to do that sort of thing but for now this is my hunch.

College age population within 40 miles of university X income range/secondary school preparation appropriate for state university X regional vs. statewide marketing scope = SRU>IUP.
                      Last edited by IUPNation; 03-07-2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• Well ... to say it nicely ... IUP isn't in the same stratosphere as PSU.

Comment

Well ... to say it nicely ... IUP isn't in the same stratosphere as PSU.

Comment

I don't agree with that ...

lets just say the different admin meetings during the last month at IUP have not been as cordial as usual - to put it nicely.

Comment

Could dig down into the Institutional Research for this. I used to do that sort of thing but for now this is my hunch.

Yep, this didn't matter when IUP was at capacity, and looking to recruit more statewide, and had a huge group of students from Philly. Then IUP was trying to distinguish itself academically from the rest of the PASSHE, When the number of students crashed, Kids that were on the Pitt and PSU waiting lists, or didn't quite get in, who used to choose IUP as a respectable alternative, now are getting in to the bigger schools. IUP mistakenly in my opinion, took more at risk students since we had the seats, and it lost any pretense of being academically different than the other PASSHE schools.

Comment

• Because Penn State's academic reputation makes up for its scandals. IUP's academic reputation does not.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X