Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    IUP has cancelled the spring sports season (which obviously includes Spring Football).
    If there are no spring sports we might just win the Dixon Trophy.

Comment

IUP has cancelled the spring sports season (which obviously includes Spring Football).
      So how do you think this favors QB Davis in his quest to win the starting job?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Fall camp means everything now. This may actually favor both Davis and Ramart as they can put down no bad tape in spring ball to make the coaching staff want to go out and find another transfer QB to bring in.

-

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoNuff View Post

Being honest ... I think if they were in love with Davis ... Ramart wouldn't be here and that money would have went elsewhere.

Comment

• I think the constant drive to get better dictates bringing in a transfer QB if one is available to at the very least provide depth. Neither have significant game time experience running the IUP offense. To answer Shonuff's question: I believe there may be a slight advantage to Davis depending on how fast Ramart can pick up the play book and execute. Also factor in the strategy for less RPO QB play. Does that mean Davis has to change his style of play? If so, that could level the competition as one QB changes style and the other learns the playbook. It was my understanding that Spring ball was paced for more learning than summer camp where the emphasis is to take what was gained in the spring and refine it for competition level play. If they get in a a full spring towards mid April to early May, then both QBs will be afforded ample opportunity to build and develop their play base. Anything short of that like a condensed spring or no spring would seem to slightly favor Davis because it is supposed he already has exposure to the playbook at least with second team reps in practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPMonk View Post
              I think the constant drive to get better dictates bringing in a transfer QB if one is available to at the very least provide depth. Neither have significant game time experience running the IUP offense. To answer Shonuff's question: I believe there may be a slight advantage to Davis depending on how fast Ramart can pick up the play book and execute. Also factor in the strategy for less RPO QB play. Does that mean Davis has to change his style of play? If so, that could level the competition as one QB changes style and the other learns the playbook. It was my understanding that Spring ball was paced for more learning than summer camp where the emphasis is to take what was gained in the spring and refine it for competition level play. If they get in a a full spring towards mid April to early May, then both QBs will be afforded ample opportunity to build and develop their play base. Anything short of that like a condensed spring or no spring would seem to slightly favor Davis because it is supposed he already has exposure to the playbook at least with second team reps in practice.
              I am going to respectfully disagree and say that I see Alex Ramart in the driver's seat here. IUP seems to be shifting back to its past to find the type of QB that it now employs. I discussed all of this with Shonuff on a private message. Maxwell last year was more of a return to what IUP used to have out of the QB position with a downfield passer with a big gun that could make all the throws. Such luminaries as Ingold, Pehanick, Aliucci, Woods, Ferguson, and Eyerman were all in this mold. Ramart's tape will lead me to view his skillset much the same way as what those guys all brought to the position.

I think that after Lenny's crazy success IUP began to change their approach to the position and began recruiting similar QBs that fit what he did. ADP, Hankins, Davis, Wilkerson were all very similar to him as they were black QBs who were mobile and athletic. I just think that Tort and the IUP brain trust may be shifting to what worked out in the past and that is a pro-style down the field passer.

Losing the spring does nothing to help out these two young QBs as it deprives them of a golden opportunity to gain some experience and better learn the offense in real time.

But at the end of the day you just want the QB that gives you the best chance to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I am going to respectfully disagree and say that I see Alex Ramart in the driver's seat here.
                Yes, I alluded to the apparent change in strategy from RPO QB to more of a conventional pocket passer. I just think Davis knowing the playbook levels that field and I gave him a little extra credit that he can adjust his style. I didn't want to put him the "RPO" box until he gets a chance to prove he can adjust or has issues adjusting. Even with that any advantage perceived or otherwise is very slight.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

I am going to respectfully disagree and say that I see Alex Ramart in the driver's seat here. IUP seems to be shifting back to its past to find the type of QB that it now employs. I discussed all of this with Shonuff on a private message. Maxwell last year was more of a return to what IUP used to have out of the QB position with a downfield passer with a big gun that could make all the throws. Such luminaries as Ingold, Pehanick, Aliucci, Woods, Ferguson, and Eyerman were all in this mold. Ramart's tape will lead me to view his skillset much the same way as what those guys all brought to the position.

I think that after Lenny's crazy success IUP began to change their approach to the position and began recruiting similar QBs that fit what he did. ADP, Hankins, Davis, Wilkerson were all very similar to him as they were black QBs who were mobile and athletic. I just think that Tort and the IUP brain trust may be shifting to what worked out in the past and that is a pro-style down the field passer.

Losing the spring does nothing to help out these two young QBs as it deprives them of a golden opportunity to gain some experience and better learn the offense in real time.

But at the end of the day you just want the QB that gives you the best chance to win.
                  I think he was in the driver's seat but w/o spring practice the entire plan is out the window.

Plus, I think w/o spring practice IUP is at more of a disadvantage now than other schools considering their first two opponents.

Comment

• The main thing no Spring probably does is keep Davis here. If he got blown out in the Spring (likely) ... he'd have been gone.

Comment

The main thing no Spring probably does is keep Davis here. If he got blown out in the Spring (likely) ... he'd have been gone.
                      Does Davis lack talent or is Ramart a superior talent that Davis would have gotten blown out in the spring? Or is the leading sentiment that the program's switch in QB styles is the writing on the wall?

Comment

Does Davis lack talent
                        I don't think so. He made it to this level for a reason. I just think that he was recruited during the "Lenny craze" when the IUP staff seemed determined to try and catch lightning in a bottle and actively sought out his prototype.

Or is the leading sentiment that the program's switch in QB styles is the writing on the wall?
                        I would say that is likely just basing it on the success of Maxwell last year and what Ramart appears to bring to the position.

-

Comment

Does Davis lack talent or is Ramart a superior talent that Davis would have gotten blown out in the spring? Or is the leading sentiment that the program's switch in QB styles is the writing on the wall?
                          From what I hear in the grapevine it's largely a change of direction. As ICH said above, Davis was more of the 'next Lenny' but Maxwell sparked a change in philosophy last year.

If they just wanted a backup QB they could have found numerous options who wouldn't have required a full ride. There isn't a salary cap in D2 but each team kind of has its own cap -- so many equivalencies to spread over a roster. If individual guys are getting a full equivalency ... they best produce -- not carry a clipboard on the sideline. If an imported, full-ride QB is wearing a baseball hat next fall ... that's a giant waste of money that could have been better spent elsewhere.

This will be Davis' third year in the program. This is the second year in a row they brought in a D1 import at the QB position. Ramart also has two years.

If I was betting on this QB race ... I'd put all my coin on Ramart.

That's not to say they can't both see the field. They could do some really neat stuff with Davis ... couple drives here and there as a total change of pace and attack.

If anything now, they will have a solid backup next Fall -- whomever it is.

With all the weapons they will have next year -- Duane Brown, Irvin Charles (assuming), etc., ... I think Tort wants a tall QB with a big arm.

Other side of the coin is they hit the jackpot with Maxwell -- on the field and in the locker room. Ramart could be a dud.

End of the day there's the old saying ... coaches don't pick the starters ... the players do.

Comment

• I think it's strange that in Davis we have a guy going into his 3rd year in the program yet none of the insiders on here seem to be able to give an appraisal on his potential.

So, on the Hawks Nest show with Jack Benedict Tort called Davis the #1 QB going into spring drills and Ramart #1A. He also mentioned some things Ramart could do"'because he is 3 inches taller." That gives some indication of their mindset at that point in time.

I would say anything can happen. I have never written off a 2 QB system. If the chemistry is right it can work to the team's benefit.

My perception is that Davis is a really good athlete. Can he be used elsewhere on the field?

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                              I think it's strange that in Davis we have a guy going into his 3rd year in the program yet none of the insiders on here seem to be able to give an appraisal on his potential.

So, on the Hawks Nest show with Jack Benedict Tort called Davis the #1 QB going into spring drills and Ramart #1A. He also mentioned some things Ramart could do"'because he is 3 inches taller." That gives some indication of their mindset at that point in time.

I would say anything can happen. I have never written off a 2 QB system. If the chemistry is right it can work to the team's benefit.

My perception is that Davis is a really good athlete. Can he be used elsewhere on the field?
                              Fair points. The thing I cannot get away from is simply following the money.

If they loved Davis, Ramart wouldn't be here. We'd have a full-ticket DL instead.

And, thanks to Coronavirus, this is basically all we have to talk about until Fall Camp.

Comment

• Originally posted by iupgroundhog View Post
                                I think it's strange that in Davis we have a guy going into his 3rd year in the program yet none of the insiders on here seem to be able to give an appraisal on his potential.

The IUP24 Doctrine would never allow for this to happen. LOL.

Regarding Davis---I think the only time that I saw him play in person was in an August scrimmage his frosh year. He ran the second team and didn't look all that bad. He seemed to have a penchant for the big downfield play. But like IUPBigIndians says if the coaches have not already handed him the keys to the IUP offense by now it may be telling.

I just think that there has been an overall change of philosophy regarding the IUP QB position. Maybe Lennys' tough outing against West Florida in the semis coupled with an uncharacteristic off senior season played a big part in this ideological shift.

-

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X